B.O.B's this does that. Meng Qi Rollz-5

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: B.O.B's this does that. Lorre-Mill Double Knot/Tetrax ba

Postby B.O.B » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:17 am

chrisdermo wrote:YYYYEAAAAAHHHHH
P.s. I like that these demos are in stereo, I think the two channel nature of the CL stuff, and now the double knot, is a massively important step forward in musical instruments. We've had stereo listening set ups for how many decades now? It kinda baffles me that beyond the usual 'spread' and stereo reverb effects there are still so few electronic instruments that allow let alone encourage completely separate sound generation in each channel.

haha, i still havn't warmed up to recording on a computer so I always forget to set it up in stereo etc. But yeah, everything about the CL instruments is just brilliant. Playing the Tetrax for the first time and experiencing the whole press/release stereo signals was :love: On my Tetrax all of the press are on the same channel, but my Sidrax has a couple reversed. I guess its just how the piezo discs are wired, initially I thought i might want to rewire the Sid so they were all the same but decided against it. With the Deerhorn Organ, each of its three units have toggles that let you switch which of their two oscillators are routed to the stereo left/right outs. So, you still get a signal in the left channel from approaching the antenna, and another from the right channel when moving away but you can swap which oscillator is left/right. That gets mighty interesting when you have all three of them going at once and get to flicking toggles :animal: What a wonderful mind Peter B has.
B.O.B

committed
committed

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:39 am

B.O.B wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:YYYYEAAAAAHHHHH
P.s. I like that these demos are in stereo, I think the two channel nature of the CL stuff, and now the double knot, is a massively important step forward in musical instruments. We've had stereo listening set ups for how many decades now? It kinda baffles me that beyond the usual 'spread' and stereo reverb effects there are still so few electronic instruments that allow let alone encourage completely separate sound generation in each channel.

haha, i still havn't warmed up to recording on a computer so I always forget to set it up in stereo etc. But yeah, everything about the CL instruments is just brilliant. Playing the Tetrax for the first time and experiencing the whole press/release stereo signals was :love: On my Tetrax all of the press are on the same channel, but my Sidrax has a couple reversed. I guess its just how the piezo discs are wired, initially I thought i might want to rewire the Sid so they were all the same but decided against it. With the Deerhorn Organ, each of its three units have toggles that let you switch which of their two oscillators are routed to the stereo left/right outs. So, you still get a signal in the left channel from approaching the antenna, and another from the right channel when moving away but you can swap which oscillator is left/right. That gets mighty interesting when you have all three of them going at once and get to flicking toggles :animal: What a wonderful mind Peter B has.

If the tetrax ones were switched too that would be awesome. Mine are all set to come out right first then left. It actually really bothers me so i always cable up backwards to ensure i get left on press and right on release. Dunno why. right to left just feels wrong. :picard:
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby B.O.B » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 pm

chrisdermo wrote:If the tetrax ones were switched too that would be awesome. Mine are all set to come out right first then left. It actually really bothers me so i always cable up backwards to ensure i get left on press and right on release. Dunno why. right to left just feels wrong. :picard:

Did some sleuthing:

here is what Peter had to say about switching them
"The problem you describe is not so much a problem, but a natural consequence of the piezo materials used for the sensors; they will often switch orientation, and I don't consider this a fault. If you really want to switch them, you could unscrew the bar, and switch the red and black wires, either at the piezo, or where they are soldered on the board. I must warn you, though, that this could make the bar more noisy, since the brass disc which was used for ground, is now a sensor. You can try it, and see, then switch back if need be."

Below I attached a photo of where to swap the black/red piezo wires on the circuit board below the barres

I followed down the rabbit hole a little bit and here is the build document for the Sidrazzi, pretty interesting read....especially the part about (Range Change Mod) Its an old blog post but at the bottom there are BUY IT options for the circuit boards/parts...those links sent me to paypal? Wonder if he's still selling those boards, he did post about a couple Sidrazzi for sale at the end of last year.
http://petermopar.blogspot.com/2012/12/ ... razzi.html

And here is the Tetrazzi build manual, neat info on modding barres etc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Yu ... Ss/preview
Attachments
3694_p1110583_2.jpg
B.O.B

committed
committed

Re: B.O.B's this does that. Double Knot with Cocoquantus

Postby B.O.B » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 am

Heyo, here's a listen to the Lorre-Mill Double Knot through a Ciat-Lonbarde Cocoquantus. Didn't get to patching the two together for this one, just set up two similar patch's on the Double Knot to get a beat going for each take. This is more a listen to the sort of noise the Cocoquantus delay can add. The delays do a sorta sound on sound layering, maybe infinite looping when the feedback knob is near noon. So I slow both delay units fully and turn the dry signal off to listen to the resulting looping noisy repeats. First take is just slowing down and listening to the resulting wet repeats, second take slow it down then speed it back up and mix the dry back in to show how the knob movements are recorded into the resulting repeats.
:joy:
B.O.B

committed
committed

Postby chrisdermo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:47 pm

More please. My DK is sitting in customs......still a good 5 days away at least from getting this beast!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby B.O.B » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 am

chrisdermo wrote:More please. My DK is sitting in customs......still a good 5 days away at least from getting this beast!

uggh, I hate that limbo period when packages are sitting in customs. but hey, won't be long now till you're into beat heaven :joy:
Ok, here's a pretty simple patch clocking both shift registers with different oscillators from a Sidrax. I discovered it works fine patching straight into the banana Clock In, trouble I was having this way was looping the shift register with outs from its own shift register. Seems to be a similar issue when using the Square outs of the Double Knot as Clock In too, the manual talks about this. As long as the Data In isn't from its own shift register it seems to work OK this way....but, going through the jumbler/3.5mm clock input offers a clock that's more responsive to changes on the Tetrax/Sidrax. Plus I get actual use from those Lo/Hi buttons. So, here I used the Triangle outs from opposite sides of Double Knot for the Data In. The Sidrax and Double Knot audio outs are both into the Cocoquantus. Patch outs from Double Knot to modulate the Pitch and Chaos on Sidrax, so in roundabout way that also modulates the clock(s). Also patched DK to the VCA on Coco and to modulate the delay speed. One of the s/h outs from Quantussy is triggered by and modulating Double Knot. I recorded two passes, overall similar idea in both but patched from different In/Outs on the Double Knot.

You're gonna really dig the Double Knot man, its a mighty clever little beat box. Seems to be geared more towards "playing" it rather than setting up static patches....but. Be sure to try using any Out for any In, and stacking. And those Sync inputs :omg:
B.O.B

committed
committed

Re: B.O.B's this does that. Double Knot & Sidrax w Cocoquant

Postby chrisdermo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Awww yiss ^^^^^
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: B.O.B's this does that. Double Knot & Sidrax w Cocoquant

Postby B.O.B » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 am

chrisdermo wrote:Awww yiss ^^^^^

best thing was discovering that the Double Knot responds great to the barre press/release gestures to modulate the envelopers :joy:
B.O.B

committed
committed

Re: B.O.B's this does that. Folktek Matter & Conduit & plug-

Postby B.O.B » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Heyo, here's a look-see at the Folktek Matter and Conduit, using the Conduit's touchpad along with the Conduit plug-in card on the Matter.
B.O.B

committed
committed

Postby chrisdermo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:13 am

One of these modules sounds like a circuit bent casio, I like it! The other one is a delay based thing?
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby B.O.B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 am

chrisdermo wrote:One of these modules sounds like a circuit bent casio, I like it! The other one is a delay based thing?

Yeah the Conduit is a delay/filter/dual vactrol VCA. But it's doesn't really behave like a normal delay with repeats, that's not what it's about. Pretty wild thing, 9 different oscillating pitches that are controlled by two separate delay time knobs and the feedback control. So you can patch/mix any number of those through either of the VCA and ping those to get percussive sounds etc. And/or patch oscillators as drones or whatnot with the filter to tweak. Lots of interesting ways to patch the thing. Those touch pads send its various oscillators straight into the other module through its touch pads. The other module, Matter is also some wild percussion-drone whatnot. You send it up to 8 different gates/triggers or envelopes etc. and it processes them into clicky clack or drone and other insect noises that folktek is known for. Both of them use a unique patchbay with tiny little patch cables and there are all sorts of points to route the signals. And most parameters are voltage controllable. On their own they are pretty incredible, together they are :love: :love:
B.O.B

committed
committed

Postby Ruiner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Awesome! Can't wait to pick both of these up when i dive into euro. Sounds great BOB!

There's some choice old pieces from Folktek on Ebay right now. Wish i had the extra cash to snag them. Skeleton Keys, Bug and something else i think.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby B.O.B » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Ruiner wrote:Awesome! Can't wait to pick both of these up when i dive into euro. Sounds great BOB!

There's some choice old pieces from Folktek on Ebay right now. Wish i had the extra cash to snag them. Skeleton Keys, Bug and something else i think.

Thanks :joy: I don't reckon playing those touch pads with aluminum foil was what folktek had in mind, but I really love those kinda sounds. Seems they have some other modules planned, really looking forward to whatever they come up with next. ahh man those units on ebay :love: My Bug makes some really unique sounds I've never heard from other gear, pretty sure he still has the Bug in production.
B.O.B

committed
committed

Postby Ruiner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Yeah I almost pulled the trigger but my Triad should be shipping any day now since we're at 7 weeks now!

Supposedly they're building a whole euro system. Definitely on my radar to either build or get it all at the same time when they're all out.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby B.O.B » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Triad :love:
that modular system he put together in 2012 looks :drool:
lots of details on what he has/had in mind on the website for his idea of a total modular system.

Looks like he's already got another module in some stage of development, hard to read what everything says but I'm thinking it's an expansion module for the Conduit to give CV control over all of its parameters. hopefully those are attenuverters too.
Attachments
conduit4.jpg
6febc7499e8f962fa4ad56a0f6e65952.jpg
1.jpg
B.O.B

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear