CV on pedals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: CV on pedals

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

ritz wrote:Envelope generation is my anti-drug.

Or my drug. Or something.

A few of the moogerfoogers can generate an envelope out. They are obviously not small. And the envelope itself is a little lacking? Or flat maybe?

I'm much happier using the envelope generated by a Dreadbox Epsilon. Has controls for attack, release, sensitivity and depth. Not small, but not huge like a moogerfooger. Haven't tried the Protostar, kinda skeptical about it having the attack knob controlling attack and release, like uhhhm what?

I would like to eventually switch up to a smaller dedicated envelope generation pedal to replace the Epsilon and free up a little board space. There was talk here where Adam at Copilot had done a dedicated envelope pedal for Resincum, but idk if that is envelope follower or stomp-activated envelope generator.

I have considered going mini-modular just for envelope and CV madness, but you know... modular, rabbit-hole, next thing I know I'm selling all my pedals...

The attack and the threshold control the release. It's definitely not ideal, but I think it makes sense from the stand point of it being specifically a guitar/bass pedal. What I mean by that is that you're going to be more concerned about the attack first because the release ends up being dependent on how you let your strings ring out or if you mute them. If you want something more rhythmic, I would get either the Dwarfcraft ARF or Happiness. I know there's no envelope following there, but envelope following on a guitar is going to be hard to replicate because you'd have to hit the string the exact same way every time and the electronics are very sensitive to that.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 am

D.o.S. wrote:
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:
oldangelmidnight wrote:Does anyone make a thing that will take a guitar signal and turn its envelope into CV?

WMD Protostar! I use this all the time to control Chase Bliss stuff, Pretty Years, and Randy's Revenge. Works great. Alternatively, I'm sure you could dive into modular... :flame:

Accept no substitutes, embrace the future.
http://xaocdevices.com/main/sewastopol/

idk if Monkeydancer will see this thread but he took my advice and drank the Koolaid and basically he's in love with it, too. It's not just me.

By thing, I meant pedal, or at least something that can go on the floor.

ritz wrote:A few of the moogerfoogers can generate an envelope out. They are obviously not small. And the envelope itself is a little lacking? Or flat maybe?

That's good to know.

ritz wrote:I'm much happier using the envelope generated by a Dreadbox Epsilon. Has controls for attack, release, sensitivity and depth. Not small, but not huge like a moogerfooger.

That looks like fun. Does the envelope out work even if you're not using the effect?
That triggers an envelope, rather than tracking the actual envelope of what you're playing, right? I'd be more interested in something that makes a big voltage when I play big and a small voltage when I play small. A long release when I hold it and a short burst when I short burst.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ritz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 am

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:The attack and the threshold control the release. It's definitely not ideal, but I think it makes sense from the stand point of it being specifically a guitar/bass pedal. What I mean by that is that you're going to be more concerned about the attack first because the release ends up being dependent on how you let your strings ring out or if you mute them. If you want something more rhythmic, I would get either the Dwarfcraft ARF or Happiness. I know there's no envelope following there, but envelope following on a guitar is going to be hard to replicate because you'd have to hit the string the exact same way every time and the electronics are very sensitive to that.

Yeah, good point. I don't play guitar, so I sometimes forget about guitar-specific stuff like that and how it impacts pedal design.

I have the ARF and the Happiness actually. I use the gate from the Epsilon to trigger the ARF (making it auto-following, rather than manually triggered), and send the ARF envelope to the Happiness. Slightly convoluted, but effortless once it's tweaked right, and the Happiness sounds sooo good when you feed it an envelope!

The attack/release on the Epsilon does what I need and gets me where I want to go. Would love a full ADSR envelope generator in a pedal though... somebody, please... :poke:

oldangelmidnight wrote:
ritz wrote:I'm much happier using the envelope generated by a Dreadbox Epsilon. Has controls for attack, release, sensitivity and depth. Not small, but not huge like a moogerfooger.

That looks like fun. Does the envelope out work even if you're not using the effect?
That triggers an envelope, rather than tracking the actual envelope of what you're playing, right? I'd be more interested in something that makes a big voltage when I play big and a small voltage when I play small. A long release when I hold it and a short burst when I short burst.

The envelope DOES work and get output when the effect is bypassed.

The Epsilon does both. You can adjust it to be an envelope follower. Or you can turn the sensitivity all the way down so it doesn't follow, and then you can manually trigger the envelope with the momentary stomp. Have your cake and eat it too
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

multi_s wrote: i want something that gives my third eye a rim job.
ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:54 pm

ritz wrote:Yeah, good point. I don't play guitar, so I sometimes forget about guitar-specific stuff like that and how it impacts pedal design.

What do you play? If you don't mind my asking...

ritz wrote:I have the ARF and the Happiness actually. I use the gate from the Epsilon to trigger the ARF (making it auto-following, rather than manually triggered), and send the ARF envelope to the Happiness. Slightly convoluted, but effortless once it's tweaked right, and the Happiness sounds sooo good when you feed it an envelope!

The attack/release on the Epsilon does what I need and gets me where I want to go. Would love a full ADSR envelope generator in a pedal though... somebody, please... :poke:

I know, I would buy one of those in an instant, except that I'm on the precipice of the modular rabbit hole anyways.

ritz wrote:
The envelope DOES work and get output when the effect is bypassed.

THIS is my biggest complaint about the Protostar. Once you're bypassed, no envelope. It gets weirder, though, because if you use the side chain, the envelope DOES get triggered even while bypassed.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby ritz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:THIS is my biggest complaint about the Protostar. Once you're bypassed, no envelope. It gets weirder, though, because if you use the side chain, the envelope DOES get triggered even while bypassed.

Oh, that's a definite weakness.

yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:What do you play? If you don't mind my asking...

I used to mess around with synths. Got started just playing around with a few monotrons, graduated to a monotribe and slowly started experimenting with effects. The monotribe was my sole instrument for like a year. I knew that thing inside and out, good times. Started branching out to mutable instruments synths, but then I switched from synths altogether, and eventually flipped them.

I started playing prayer bowls, and suddenly didn't care about the synths at all. I was given one as a gift and loved it. I borrowed a mic, and starting experimenting with the effect setup I already had for synths, and it was bottomless... I didn't need anything else. A good prayer bowl is pretty much the world's most flawlessly complex acoustic oscillator.

It's said that art loves constraint, so I gave myself a big one, decided that the bowls would be the only instrument/input. I wanted to see how far I could take it, how deep it could go. I got a looper and started layering. Started seriously/obsessively exploring different effects, which brought me here. :yay:

There is a deeply mystical purity to it for me. No synths, no computers, no post-processing, just playing the bowls (mostly percussively), manipulating and layering in real time.

I do have a drone commander that I use as a "side project" when I want a change of pace. But yeah, otherwise I exclusively play prayer bowls. :cool:

:zen:

ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm

ritz wrote:I started playing prayer bowls, and suddenly didn't care about the synths at all. I was given one as a gift and loved it. I borrowed a mic, and starting experimenting with the effect setup I already had for synths, and it was bottomless... I didn't need anything else. A good prayer bowl is pretty much the world's most flawlessly complex acoustic oscillator.

In all seriousness, I was looking up prayer bowls the other day after I determined that one might be easier/cheaper to purchase than a gamelan gong or bonang. Any recommendations on one to buy? Preferably not one that's 15 inches!
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby ritz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 pm

They are all really unique, so it's hard to say. Order from somewhere where you can hear sound samples online, see what speaks to you. It's a bit of gamble just ordering a cheap contemporary one off amazon or something.

ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Good point. I'll just go to me closest Buddhist monk friend and ask for a recommendation :lol:
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:51 am

ritz wrote:I started playing prayer bowls, and suddenly didn't care about the synths at all. I was given one as a gift and loved it. I borrowed a mic, and starting experimenting with the effect setup I already had for synths, and it was bottomless... I didn't need anything else. A good prayer bowl is pretty much the world's most flawlessly complex acoustic oscillator.

It's said that art loves constraint, so I gave myself a big one, decided that the bowls would be the only instrument/input. I wanted to see how far I could take it, how deep it could go. I got a looper and started layering. Started seriously/obsessively exploring different effects, which brought me here. :yay:

There is a deeply mystical purity to it for me. No synths, no computers, no post-processing, just playing the bowls (mostly percussively), manipulating and layering in real time.

I do have a drone commander that I use as a "side project" when I want a change of pace. But yeah, otherwise I exclusively play prayer bowls. :cool:

:zen:

This is very intriguing. I would totally love to hear some of this.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ritz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 pm

I don't have anything online but I'll see if I can throw something up this weekend

ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby ProCarsteNation » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:38 pm

ritz wrote:I don't have anything online but I'll see if I can throw something up this weekend

you'd be making me happy :)
I used to have lots of fun putting a kalimba thru effects, so singing bowls would be :!!!:
aural conjunctions on SC

I hate moodswings are awesome! Oh, and I usually post when I'm way too tired...
Invisible Man wrote:do something selfish and live a little.
ProCarsteNation

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Meriphew » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 am

Anyone have a source for longer TRS splitter cables (1/4" to 1/4")? I want to sync up a pedal or two to my Elektron Analog Four, but need at least a 10ft cable so I'm not tripping over it onstage.
Meriphew

involved
involved

Postby ritz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:16 pm

ritz

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to General Gear