loopingMADNESS

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: loopingMADNESS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:01 am

Re: Glou Glou - i think so? :idk: i mean they just did another in February i think? i feel like they are committed to producing more even tho parts blight :snax:

Magic 8 Ball sez:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby le lambin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:37 am

Lebowsky wrote:Any of you highly knowledgeable folks able to point me to the right direction?

I am looking for a basic looper, that can allow me to record one riff, and then play over it. No need for much more... More features would be bonuses. But "rather small" footprint required.

I've used the loop function of the DD-7, EHX Canyon and such in the past, it gave pretty bad results, particularly because I really suck at stomping at the right moments... :facepalm: are there loopers where you can give a tempo first, and then record - I assume this would be more forgiving?
(I am amazed by people doing this live properly...)

It would be used in a bass + drums duo.

I don't really know where to start, so... fell free to slap me for more info.

Thanks!

In my experience, the new Boss loopers are pretty forgiving with the start/end points. Something like the RC-5 is small, and is easy to use. You can tap in the tempo with an external tap switch and as long as you have the loop quantize turned on, it will automatically extend/cut off your loop at the exact end point in time with the tempo if you accidentally hit the switch too fast or slow. As long as you’re not way off, it actually sounds fine and for most loops works well. I have the RC-500 and do a lot of live looping and this feature is pretty handy for most situations, especially if I’m improvising or syncing it up to a drum machine.

Bonus: it has midi ins and outs so if you eventually want to go that route, you can.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby Lebowsky » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:48 am

Dandolin wrote:also, none'o'that is the simple, functional looper Lebowsky's after, for which i tend to think the EHX + practice will do...but maybe split the baby and look at the 720?

le lambin wrote:In my experience, the new Boss loopers are pretty forgiving with the start/end points. Something like the RC-5 is small, and is easy to use. You can tap in the tempo with an external tap switch and as long as you have the loop quantize turned on, it will automatically extend/cut off your loop at the exact end point in time with the tempo if you accidentally hit the switch too fast or slow. As long as you’re not way off, it actually sounds fine and for most loops works well. I have the RC-500 and do a lot of live looping and this feature is pretty handy for most situations, especially if I’m improvising or syncing it up to a drum machine.

Bonus: it has midi ins and outs so if you eventually want to go that route, you can.

So, I was looking at the EHXs after last couple messages, the 360 seems on backorder everywhere anyway. 720 I don't see the advantage except price over the 1440... I had kinda overlooked the Boss ones but you're making me reconsider now :) Think the RC-5 it will be, it's indeed the most compact of these + easily available. If you say it's easy to use, that's the main selling point :)

Can you use an external tap tempo such as this or do you need the Boss dedicated foot switch? https://www.loop-master.com/mini-tempo- ... -p-51.html
Gibson Ripper + GK 1001RB-II / 210RBH / 115RBH + GK 400RB / Bag End S15-D / S15X-D
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:05 am

Definitely do NOT buy loop-master. If that dude did not die, he has stolen my money!

With the RC-50 and RC-300 (or was it the Boss DR-880 drum machine, kind of reaching back here), I was using a tap tempo like that.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lebowsky » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:05 am

thanks! I already have that tap-tempo... and I am not buying from him again for a long time either...
Gibson Ripper + GK 1001RB-II / 210RBH / 115RBH + GK 400RB / Bag End S15-D / S15X-D
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:29 am

After thinking about it some more, I think I was using a tap tempo like that with the drum machine and then recording loops into the RC-50 (or later the RC-300) that would sync to the DR-880 tempo.

I'm not sure (but am curious to know) what happens with a Boss RC looper with a loop in it and if you start using a tap tempo like that. Glitch? Pitch up/down? Speed up/down? All three? Nothing?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Lebowsky » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 am

I'll let you know in a few weeks... I'll just give it a try
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby le lambin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:06 pm

Lebowsky wrote:
Can you use an external tap tempo such as this or do you need the Boss dedicated foot switch? https://www.loop-master.com/mini-tempo- ... -p-51.html

I’ve used the Boss one and an MXR tap tempo switch, both worked fine.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby Lebowsky » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:11 pm

alright, RC5 ordered!
and yeah any external taps seem ok, I sifted through the manual and you can manually setup what the external switch does. Could also use two different external switches with a TRS to 2xTS cable

also, thank a lot for your help yall :group:
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:57 am

cool - let us know how it works :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lebowsky » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:10 pm

alright, received the RC-5 during the week and brought it to rehearsal last night. So much easier to use than the loop mode on the DD7 or the Canyon! Got it right pretty easily, maybe 2 out of 3 times, without practice. Shouldn't be too hard to get better.

Also, I had originally discarded it, but the option to save your looped riff might actually become a great music writing help quickly.

The only thing I need to check is whether you can disable the whole "riff is saved in 4/4" thing... or even better specify your time signature... but I only had the quick ref guide with me.

My drummer really liked it, however it was indeed hard to stay in sync with a loop even when it was done very properly. But he's ok to having a click track in the future.

Thanks again everyone! :group:
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:39 pm

noice
love a happy ending
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Lebowsky » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:04 pm

Looks like you have to set a tempo and time signature first but it is doable:
https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Recording

Now onto the next question... :) What device(s) would you use to sync and give a click to my drummer? (I am completely clueless on the subject)
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby waxdoctor » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:31 pm

gila_crisis wrote:I was writing with EHX support and.. the new manual shall be ready for July 2022?!?!???? WTF?!

Their answer tells me guts we gonna get a new firmware for the 1440 in July 2022 too…
waxdoctor

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:55 pm

waxdoctor wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:I was writing with EHX support and.. the new manual shall be ready for July 2022?!?!???? WTF?!

Their answer tells me guts we gonna get a new firmware for the 1440 in July 2022 too…

I've found few minor bugs in that last 1440 firmware, and promptly sent the information to EHX (plus some inputs and ideas for some useful features, like dedicated midi commands for play, and rec/dub).
They told me (January 2022), they'll prepare a new update for February/March 2022, but nothing happened yet... I wrote them on the forum lately, and they vaguely replied with a "No news. We haven’t gotten to the firmware update yet. Sorry about that."
:picard:

At least now the manual include also the full Midi Mapping chart (which is anyhow wrong... as I found out you have to do minus 1 on each CC... :facepalm: ).
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear