loopingMADNESS

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: loopingMADNESS

Postby waxdoctor » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:28 pm

gila_crisis wrote:
waxdoctor wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:I was writing with EHX support and.. the new manual shall be ready for July 2022?!?!???? WTF?!

Their answer tells me guts we gonna get a new firmware for the 1440 in July 2022 too…

I've found few minor bugs in that last 1440 firmware, and promptly sent the information to EHX (plus some inputs and ideas for some useful features, like dedicated midi commands for play, and rec/dub).
They told me (January 2022), they'll prepare a new update for February/March 2022, but nothing happened yet... I wrote them on the forum lately, and they vaguely replied with a "No news. We haven’t gotten to the firmware update yet. Sorry about that."
:picard:

At least now the manual include also the full Midi Mapping chart (which is anyhow wrong... as I found out you have to do minus 1 on each CC... :facepalm: ).

Yes, I can feel your pain. I also hope they will do a fw update soon. but all in all I like the 1440 a lot. only thing I would like to see is "tape stop" - I love that FX. But I guess that will never happen...
waxdoctor

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Tall Walls » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:30 am

I've been trying to talk myself into buying a Loupé while there are still some available. I have a Beebo and an MC6, so in theory I could do a lot of what Loupé does, but building the patches and setting up the MC6 has been an unsatisfying experience. Boring, mostly, but also the Beebo's Loopler module doesn't really work all that well. Lots of clicking and popping. Certain things you can't do (shorten a loop, for example). There are quantizing functions but if they do anything I haven't been able to tell. So it'd be nice to have a box where all of that stuff just works, but maybe not $700 worth of nice.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:58 am

Tall Walls wrote:it'd be nice to have a box where all of that stuff just works, but maybe not $700 worth of nice.

Ahh yes, the pursuit of satisfaction and its costs in time, effort and shit-consumption. I think many of us can empathize, we know this dilemma well. As a wise man once said, and I paraphrase: "Fuck those fucking fucks and the fucking fucks that fuck them."

Or something like that. :idk:

I kind of want a Loupe, actually. Not that I can fit it into my setup but it would be awesome just to plug one into a guitar amp with nothing else and get some possible clown smiles. But yeah, $700. Weren't they originally $575 or thereabouts?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:18 pm

I got a Loupé few months ago. And I don't regret the money I've spent on it.

At first it was a totally new experience and a new kind of looping-workflow as I never used an EDP of anything similar up to now.
I mainly and mostly use a Looperlative LP2, which has 4 stereo tracks, so I was a bit scared to go back to 1 stereo track, but all these EDP style features like Multiply, Instud, Insert, etc (used as toggle or momentary, free style or related to a given quantization) opened up a totally new world to develop and play my ambient music (to the point that at some point I've recorded and entire album based only on guitars and Loupé).

The real deal are the Read-FXs: these are what totally takes apart Loupé from any other looper I've used before. I never saw a looper where you can decide how much you can mix the original sound with the effected one, and how much these effects may be "destructively" recorded or not into the existing loop.
This possibility gives you a sound-palette, no other looping device can achieve, and allows you to develop your music into some peculiar ways (which may also be very unpredictable sometimes).
To me Loupé is a looper that lets you develop and morph a very simple sound into something super deep and with a lot of textures.

When it first came out, I was skeptical about Loupé not having midi mapping or a "normal 5-din plug". But now that I own one, I totally enjoy the fact you can freely program your own Games (which consist of 5 footswitches, and 4 push buttons each): if you think about, it's like having a programmable midi controller already built into the unit!

I know 700$ it's a lot for many people out there, but if you are dedicated to live-looping and wanna have something which can do berserk stuff, go for it!
Last edited by gila_crisis on Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:53 pm

Thank you for that awesome review.

I've been using those EDP style features more and more in Mobius (thank you Andre LaFosse!) and I'm as invested in this setup as one can be: It ain't going anywhere.

But Loupe reallys looks like a gasload of fun.......
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Tall Walls » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:09 am

In a fit of prudence I decided not to go for the Loupé. In my heart I'm a basic phrase-looper type of doofus, I think. My old Digitech JamMan Stereo does most of what I need a looper to do.

I did take another shot at using the Beebo's Loopler module in conjunction with the MC6, and it worked better than I remembered. The quantizing stuff does work, but when I use it everything just sounds like Andre LaFosse. Not that that's bad, but I'm not interested in horning in on that territory. It's fun to do, though.
Tall Walls

committed
committed

Postby coupleonapkins » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:50 am

manymanyhaha wrote:I kind of want a Loupe, actually. Not that I can fit it into my setup but it would be awesome just to plug one into a guitar amp with nothing else and get some possible clown smiles. But yeah, $700. Weren't they originally $575 or thereabouts?

Intro prix was $650, but maybe I'm still in Steak & Pralines land (or can't forget all the Reverb sellers @ $1K). Also with the uptick of parts scarcity that is happening, it seems like a small bump for something that will probably hit higher in the future :(

Gotta lay down the bread 4 thee looping these days, tho... :evil:

Given the option to push those monies into a Loupe of my own, I totally would & swim away forever, but alas, this endless gif will have to tide me over...

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Adoom » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:01 pm

tremolo3 wrote:MMKAY. DUDE.

BOOMERANG III. MAYBE?

I have one of these. After the Tremolessence, probably my favourite pedal.
I play.

https://linktr.ee/adhamhocaoimh

((( :zen: )))

Wonderful Dealings With: Behndy, lumena, smallsnd/bigsnd, Ryan

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic."
Adoom

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby echorec » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:59 am

So who's making use of the Habit? This video makes it look so simple.

If I ever get a move done, then I'd like to really master mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-U9K8N-dgY
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:22 am

New year new Looperlative LP2 firmware!!!
New release v2.65 is now available on the looperlative web site:
https://buff.ly/3KREdFU
This adds the LP1 bounce functions into the LP2!!!

Midi notes for these are:
57 for bounce, 58 for sync bounce, 59 for MIDI sync bounce

With a bit of external midi control wizardry you can mimic those EDP sustain multiply tricks!!!

A new tutorial by yours truly will follow soon. :animal:
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby gila_crisis » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:31 am

Here it is, my new Looperlative LP2 tutorial about the newly added Bounce Functions!
An overview about the basic Bounce and Sync Bounce, and some tricks and hints how to use this function as a EDP-Multiply workalike! :!!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZfqHHVgS5M
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby le lambin » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:46 pm

Major looping announcement- I got a Gibson/oberheim Echoplex digital plus and it’s the best dang looper I’ve ever used. The only thing it doesn’t do is fade out but it is far and away the most creative live looping tool I’ve ever used. I have to figure out some way to map functions to a floorboard midi controller to do all the crazy replace/live granular stuff on the fly without having to reassign the standard footswitch functions. This thing came out what, 20 years ago? It feels advanced even now.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 pm

Andre LaFosse is the EDP master, learned so much from watching his vids, even if I am only on the tangentially-related Mobius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YqaMMU1sc
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 pm

le lambin wrote:Major looping announcement- I got a Gibson/oberheim Echoplex digital plus and it’s the best dang looper I’ve ever used. The only thing it doesn’t do is fade out but it is far and away the most creative live looping tool I’ve ever used. I have to figure out some way to map functions to a floorboard midi controller to do all the crazy replace/live granular stuff on the fly without having to reassign the standard footswitch functions. This thing came out what, 20 years ago? It feels advanced even now.

Phenomenal device.

Mess with the feedback knob, you'll find ways to fade out. You can do some interesting stuff with an expression pedal plugged into the back to control it too, which kind of unlocks a few particular modes and allows "soft replace" functions.

+1 on Andre LaFosse. He's been my EDP guru and has tons of videos breaking down all the individual functions. Check out this recording he did only using the EDP: https://andrelafosse.bandcamp.com/album ... e-volume-3
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby le lambin » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:55 pm

codetocontra wrote:
Phenomenal device.

Mess with the feedback knob, you'll find ways to fade out. You can do some interesting stuff with an expression pedal plugged into the back to control it too, which kind of unlocks a few particular modes and allows "soft replace" functions.

+1 on Andre LaFosse. He's been my EDP guru and has tons of videos breaking down all the individual functions. Check out this recording he did only using the EDP: https://andrelafosse.bandcamp.com/album ... e-volume-3

He is the first one to come up on YouTube- I can’t wait to sift through his videos. That piece of his is insane! What a cool performance showcasing his mastery over the thing- that’s exactly what I hope to be able to do one day, a 30-45 minute performance of live looping with the EDP that isnt boring.
le lambin

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear