Downsizing Advice?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Downsizing Advice?

Postby t-rey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm

The long and short of it is that my wife and I have sold our house so that she can stay home with our kiddo (huzzah!). We will be renting for at least a few months while we find a new home to buy, and space will be pretty short at the rental...and whatever we end up buying probably won't have large enough for me to have a dedicated space for my gear either (no basements near the beach, I'm afraid).

I currently have two amps, two 2x12 cabs, and two pedalboards. I have been thinking about selling one cab and maybe one of the boards and amps to free up space (and maybe buy a Jazzmaster...). But that got me thinking about selling both amps and cabs to fund a smaller, pedal friendly combo (the bonus of which is that I could probably have it out somewhere instead of stashed in a closet). I generally play stoner/doom/heavies, and even though I play at stupidly low volumes and with low wattage amps, the idea of going to a combo amp seems potentially terrible.

Any advice on downsizing effectively? What kind of combos might meet my needs - in the short time I've thought about this, I've considered the Peavey Classic 30, Laney Lionheart, Fender Princeton and Excelsior, Mesa combos, and even stuff like a Vox AC15 since I really dig Vox cleans. Is this worth the work of selling off my gear or am I being silly?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Downsizing Advice?

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:37 pm

if it was an apt sure,... id hang on to my shit unless I was for sure goin to the ''poor house''...or just tired of the stuff you have....your wife dig your jammin out?
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Kind of in between. I like my rig, but it's been essentially unchanged for several years. So part of me feels like this is an opportunity to shake things up a bit.

Wife doesn't mind the riffs...just would be substantially less of a a fan if I moved all my shit out into the living room and put the kid's toys in a closet lol.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:28 pm

I downsized to just one head and just one cab, but I think Vids is right on the money here.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:37 pm

You're probably like me and I have to play stupidly low volumes too because I live in an apartment. One day I will be able to play a little louder but until then it's the barely on 1 volume club. I say ditch one cab and amp and go to just a head. Or ditch both cabs, and a head and get a nice 1x12. That will probably take you a long way and I'm sure there are a lot of companies that make nice 1x12s.

As far as two pedalboards, I would condense the pedalboard into one slightly larger one and put the rest of the pedals in a drawer. Unless you need two have two pedals boards or whatever! Otherwise just stack everything infinitely high and skip selling anything.
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby 01010111 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:43 pm

I think vidret's right. It's easy to downsize, not so easy to get back the stuff you've sold.

On the other hand, how small is your rental space going to be, and how small is your new place going to be? Two full cab+head combos and two pedalboards can take up a lot of space if you're living in a shoebox like I am. So, if you really do need to downsize, I'd suggest doing the following:

Advice on downsizing pedals:
Step one: plug straight into your amp for a while and see what you miss first
Step two: add the bare minimum to your signal chain for the music you like to make
Step three: Wait a week and repeat step two
step four: sell everything you haven't added back to your signal chain

Advice on downsizing amps:
Combos are cool, but where you already have some good cabs why not just pair one with a "low" watt head? There are lots available in all kinds of configurations. So, if you decide to downsize your amp, I'd pick the amp I like best and keep it. Or, I'd pick the amp I like best and find a low-watt version of it. Some low-watt amps even come with headphone outputs and speaker emulation.

Whatever money you get back from buying gear I'd suggest using it to invest in higher quality gear with good resale value (that is, if you don't need the money for life-expenses). One thing all my downsizing has taught me is to always make sure you can resell whatever you bought at a good price. If times are hard it's really shitty trying to sell that custom-made, custom-etched, one-off fuzz you commissioned from your favorite builder. You can't get more than a fraction of what you paid for it, and it really hurts trying to sell stuff like that. So, buy generic, take care of it, and it'll be easier to sell it if you really need to when times get tough.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:31 pm

wts^wisdom.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:37 pm

I am pro-downsizing, I don't get too attached to amps in general (guitars is another story)

the idea of taking any money you make and putting it into gear with good resale value is smart, then you can upsize later if needed.

play an AC15 regularly and it is a great amp takes pedals well Loves RATS!!!!!
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Downsizing is doable but requires finding the right way out of your current rig. I did when I flipped all my amps for a small 15 watts Verellen with a 1*12" cab. It was a step up because it was really really really well tailored to my tastes. Don't downsize just to downsize. Take it as an occasion to step back and rethink your gear.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby PeteeBee » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Yeah downsizing is a good opportunity to switch from big gear that gets the job done to really rad smaller amps. Unless you already have rad big amps, then this doesn't apply.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Just did a similar thing, though I ket my big boy rig :)

I settled on a tiny terror combo for my bedroom. It can stil do okay-ish heavy shit without pissing of the neighbours, it doesn't sound boxy or anything, not even with the power switch set to 7 watt. Classic '30s have so-so build quality, and the Vox'es I had didn't like my fuzz pedals. Did fine with a rat or a hotcake (topboost, preamp gain maxed + rat/hotcake = bliss), but fuzz...meh :idk: Ymmv and all that ofcourse.

My A15C2 couldn't do anything remotely brutal, no matter what pedal I trew at all. Really underwhelming in that regard, or at least when you're used to rocking a gnarly stupid loud half stack. Nice chimey cleans and all that, but really really lacking good oomphy low end imo. Maybe a tube and/or speaker upgrade could've made a difference, but imo you're better off going with *any* orange tube amp. Great value for yer money usually, there's so many of em on the used market it's to hard to find a good deal. I have yet to hear Orange cleans I like though. Not counting my old OR120 that is, I'm talking new Orange here. The thunderverbs are supposedly in another league too, besides my tt I only messed with a rocker 30 and AD30.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:57 pm

wfs1234 wrote:Advice on downsizing pedals:
Step two: add the bare minimum to your signal chain for the music you like to make

Fucking genius!

Problem for me is, I can spend months playing my acoustic exclusively, and then suddenly will want to use all my midi synced shit for senseless noise.

The joy of not gigging.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:58 am

ramonovski wrote:
wfs1234 wrote:Advice on downsizing pedals:

Fucking genius!

Problem for me is, I can spend months playing my acoustic exclusively, and then suddenly will want to use all my midi synced shit for senseless noise.

The joy of not gigging.

I do the same sort of thing. But this way when you go back you don't necessarily go down the same path as before, you're more likely to try something new if you aren't tied down by what you already have.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 am

Everyone is giving reasonable advice. Dare I suggest something different? Get rid of it all and start over. New home, new rig.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:39 am

Get rid of nothing.

Get longer legs for your bed, like 20-30 cm legs depending on your gear. Put felt on the legs of your pedalboards or put them on a towel. Push them under the bed. Slide them out when you want to rock out. You can store a lot of gear under a bed. I've also got an electric guitar under the bed.

#compactliving.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to General Gear