another amp suggestion thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: another amp suggestion thread

Postby sylnau » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I think I'll get the Vintage Sound - Vintage 20.
More clean headroom than the Vintage 15.
A 5 watts amp will probably breakup too much for what I want.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby CyaNitrate » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:48 pm

ramonovski wrote:
worra wrote:I have a silverface ('79) Fender Champ for playing at home, only 5w but gets plenty loud by the time you have the volume at 3. Nice clean tones and takes my pedalboard without much of a fuss.

Yeah, but the bass...

..can be bolstered with a speaker swap. I've got the WGS G8c in my '74 Champ, and it's night and day better. The magnet is twice the size of the stock one, and sounds fuller, louder, rounder, better. And cheap.

This could be a solid choice. Also stays clean most of the way up the dial, thanks to the ribbed cone.

https://wgs4.com/g8c
jwar wrote:BRO! There is only one order! Bass>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>overdriven amp. :)

goroth wrote:Come up here and fuzz party. Yes. Fuzz party. It is a legit verb.
CyaNitrate

experienced
experienced

Postby CyaNitrate » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Plus, silverface champs have identical circuits to the blackface ones, and it will be about a third of the price of the Vintage Sound.
jwar wrote:BRO! There is only one order! Bass>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>fuzz>overdriven amp. :)

goroth wrote:Come up here and fuzz party. Yes. Fuzz party. It is a legit verb.
CyaNitrate

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:02 pm

CyaNitrate wrote:..can be bolstered with a speaker swap. I've got the WGS G8c in my '74 Champ, and it's night and day better. The magnet is twice the size of the stock one, and sounds fuller, louder, rounder, better. And cheap.

This could be a solid choice. Also stays clean most of the way up the dial, thanks to the ribbed cone.

https://wgs4.com/g8c

Still an 8", I dunno... for $40 I'd look for a cheap no brand closed back cab in the local CL, that will deliver more bass.

I still love my Champ with my crappy speaker tho.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:05 pm

the marshall class 5 is decent as well.

nevermind :lol:
Last edited by waltdogg on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 pm

CyaNitrate wrote:Plus, silverface champs have identical circuits to the blackface ones, and it will be about a third of the price of the Vintage Sound.

VS have a 12 inches... mid knob... dwell knob for the reverb. On the 20 you can swap from 6V6 to 6L6.
And 5 watter will crunch at low volume, which is not really what I want.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't think you're gonna get a 5W amp to break up at the volumes you wanna play at. :idk:

I'm not sure exactly how loud you'll be playing. So, a bigger amp is probably better just in case. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby maggot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:15 pm

ramonovski wrote:
worra wrote:I have a silverface ('79) Fender Champ for playing at home, only 5w but gets plenty loud by the time you have the volume at 3. Nice clean tones and takes my pedalboard without much of a fuss.

Yeah, but the bass...

I recorded a punk rock album on a champ in the early 90s and it sounded pretty good, but for sitting around your house and sounding good, it's not nearly as pleasing as an amp with a few extra watts, some reverb/trem and a 10"-12" speaker. Even if you get a nice speaker, the cleans aren't as clean and powerful.
maggot

committed
committed

Postby dunbine » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Kinda hard to find, but a Fender Princeton Recording amp also has a built in attenuator, loop, and other features. Never tried one so I can't attest to the sound, but always wanted to test drive. Maybe run to an external 15”speaker can for better bass?
Good deals: DannDubbleEwe, D.o.S., nevada, lordgalvar, Jwar, baremountain, LaoWiz, Jero, Cody_Pole, goroth
dunbine

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear