Your YEAR in GEAR! :)* 2016

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Your YEAR in GEAR! :)* 2016

Postby ck3 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:30 am

Pete wrote:
ck3 wrote:

Shoe Pedals Frog***

How are you liking the Frog? I want one. Wanna see how it compares to my Earthquaker Devices Tentacle.

The Shoe Frog was one of my top picks of the year. I scored one at a 25% discount during the 2016 Tonefactor Black Friday Sale.

It falls somewhere between a Dan Armstrong Green Ringer and Ampeg Scrambler in terms of tone and texture, i.e., more gnarly-sounding than a Green Ringer at most settings, but not as fractured or splatty as a Scrambler. The Frog has distinct "ribbit" harmonics and adds horn-like qualities when fed into other gain sources. The output level setting determines how aggressive the impact will be when using it to goose other dirt.

I tend to include the Frog on my board during periods of noize, psychedelia, and/or shoegaze noodling and like how it mangles my Digitech Dirty Robot and guitars tuned to C or higher. It can somewhat bring the doom if fed into a high gain fuzz with the output and gain levels set in their upper ranges. I'm not too sure how well it works in the range of a bass, but will eventually conduct relevant experiments with my Drop-E-tuned 8-string guitar when time permits (which I realize isn't quite the same as a bass for various reasons).
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Pete » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Damn, that sounds awesome! I might have to get one in 2017
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby sonidero » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:47 pm

I got a KVLT TOMB and a Grunge pedlol... :erm:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:33 am

Must revise my previous list with a last-minute add:

Roland System 1 synth.

Because last second impulse buys before Christmas are a thing!
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:35 am

SquareWaveFuzz wrote:Not been a bad gear year for me;

-EQD Disaster Transport
-Sovtek V7D Big Muff
-BAT Black Forest
-Catalinbread SFT
-EHX Pitchfork

-Fender Standard Jaguar Bass

-Trace Elliot 300W Stereo Power Amp

-Marshall 2x15 Bass Cab

The only ones out of these that aren't getting constant use are the Sovtek, because i'm in the process of making it tour-proof, and the Disaster Transport which I've just sold because it turns out I'm more of a reverb guy than a delay guy

Dude...I've got a little money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not happy with my dirt game. The SFT has been around long enough to assume I can get some unbiased info that's not too affected by hype/honeymoon sorta stuff. I don't really buy into the whole 'amp in a box' sales pitch, but I do like the online demos I checked. So...You using yours for bass or guitar? The higher gain settings not too flabby/farty/loose, they still cut through a loud messy mix? Cheers :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby decomposing » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Achtane wrote:Not a goddamn thing.
Seriously.
And all my gear has been buried behind stuff in a room for 6 months now... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I long for the days of doing headstands in front of my bass cab as it oscillated at low pitch...

I feel you... always on the hunt for fundulation has me chasing my tail.
gonna finally get to testing shiz and posting in the bst.
hopefully this full moon will energize my ass through this shite.
btw, megalith brought me here, but love to see iron pig and supercollider on the same page
mark from ea has been my salvation to playing music again, and although on sabatical of sorts.
I know when I plug into my newly updated supercollider, things will flow again.
have to break down the walls you know?

(((trades>>>
///ronripper/WesMantooth/thebetasignal/SpaceFlunky/Jnichols2727/pieceofshit/DannDubbleEwe/
Brobee/odontophobia/chuckjaywalk/ChetMagongalo/nevada/BassIsBad/jellyfishfuzz/ingloriousoz/MrNovember/killthenil/K2000///>>>)))
/// images >>> https://www.instagram.com/neuroticexpanse///

decomposing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Chinese knock off PRS (for the price it's god damn awesome and it looks sweet)
Set of Sunday Handwound pickups to replace the crap that was in the PRS
Vintage EHX Echo Flanger
A 1W AC30 clone thing I built

I think that was it for 2016, I think i'm nearly happy with all my gear and feel no need to flip any of it other than through redundancy, just missing one or two pieces to hit the sweet spot, so my 2017 to buy list is...

EHX Mel 9
TC Electronics Mimiq cause I just saw it and it looks fun
A Reverb to replace my Hardwire that goes full wet, maybe a Supermoon Chrome
A Tuner pedal because i've put it off for years and i'm sick of those clip ons
A/DA PBF
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Ruiner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:21 am

This is near impossible without being in my gear room but i'll name a few off the top....

Guitars:
Gibson The Element AL13 1958 Standard Historic Les Paul
Ronin Songbird

Amps and cabs:
Benson Monarch
Benson Rotary Cab

Other:
Roli Seaboard Rise
Folktek Illuminist Garden
Moog Sub 37 Tribute
DynaMount X1-R Robotic Microphone Mount
Royer Labs R‑121 Microphone
Bock 251 microphone
Electronaut m63 preamp

Effects:
Benson Tall Bird
Hawk HE-2250 5-Head Stereo Tape Delay
Thermionic Culture Vulture 11th Anniversary Edition
Hologram Dream Sequence
RML 432k Distortion
RML Smokestack
Smallsound/Bigsound Pretty Years
Cali76 compressor
Montreal Assembly Count To Five
(another) Hexe The Carrier III
Lexicon PCM 42
Helix
Empirical Labs Distressor EL8-X
FTelecttronica PLL clone
Eightytape Limbo II
Arcane Analog Buzzaround Tone Bender NOS NKT213 Transistors
Basic Audio Fuzz Mutant

I know i'm missing more pedals but my brain hurts............
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Ruiner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:45 pm

vidret wrote:consider yourself considered for consideration of ritual sacrifice and all your gear going towards the winners of BILF 2017.

:lol:
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dunbine » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:37 pm

Ruiner wrote:This is near impossible without being in my gear room but i'll name a few off the top....

What do you think of the Hawk stereo tape delay? How does the sound & maintenance compare with other tape units? That thing looks great and stereo as well! :love:
Good deals: DannDubbleEwe, D.o.S., nevada, lordgalvar, Jwar, baremountain, LaoWiz, Jero, Cody_Pole, goroth
dunbine

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ruiner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 pm

dunbine wrote:
Ruiner wrote:This is near impossible without being in my gear room but i'll name a few off the top....

What do you think of the Hawk stereo tape delay? How does the sound & maintenance compare with other tape units? That thing looks great and stereo as well! :love:

Sorry, i missed this before!

The Hawk is beautiful. It sounds fantastic, it's STEREO (!) and the Reverse Echo and Mirage settings are awesome.

The only issue with my unit is it took a beating during it's shipment from England and I probably should take it in since it's "warble" with pitch is a bit too much from being tossed around. I like warble but it's a little too much especially for guitar and i just haven't had time to have it looked at since getting it so i haven't used it as much as i'd like. It still sounds great IMO and i'm excited about using it with the DrumBrute when it arrives next week even with the heavy warble.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like:

by itself

https://soundcloud.com/ruiner-6/hawk-he ... tape-delay

and in a mix

https://soundcloud.com/ruiner-6/hawk-he ... 2-in-a-mix
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tommyharron » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 pm

RML Smokestack

Ruiner, what do you think of the Smokestack? Any sound clips by chance?
Bass player/Recording Engineer

http://www.tommyharron.com
tommyharron

interested
interested

Postby Ruiner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 pm

tommyharron wrote:

RML Smokestack

Ruiner, what do you think of the Smokestack? Any sound clips by chance?

Can't really comment on it. I bought it but I used it like once. I'm sure it's great but I just don't have the need for it right now so i actually just took pictures of it today to put up for sale in the next day or two. I was going to spend time with it but i know i'd get attached to it and i'm needing to off some prime pieces to pay for the Folktek Triad i just bought.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dunbine » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Ruiner wrote:
dunbine wrote:

Sorry, i missed this before!

The Hawk is beautiful. It sounds fantastic, it's STEREO (!) and the Reverse Echo and Mirage settings are awesome.

The only issue with my unit is it took a beating during it's shipment from England and I probably should take it in since it's "warble" with pitch is a bit too much from being tossed around. I like warble but it's a little too much especially for guitar and i just haven't had time to have it looked at since getting it so i haven't used it as much as i'd like. It still sounds great IMO and i'm excited about using it with the DrumBrute when it arrives next week even with the heavy warble.

Here's a sample of what it sounds like:

by itself

https://soundcloud.com/ruiner-6/hawk-he ... tape-delay

and in a mix

https://soundcloud.com/ruiner-6/hawk-he ... 2-in-a-mix

Thanks for those clips, the Hawk sounds great. If you got it from Soundgas, they may be willing to help with the damage? I've purchased from them and they were a pleasure to deal with. These Hawk units don't roll around very often, so congrats on finding one. I'm assuming that maintenance like changing tapes and cleaning heads hasn't come up so far since you haven't used it as much as you'd like? In any case, I'm grateful for the review. :thumb:

Not so much for the gas, but I knew the risks! :facepalm:
Good deals: DannDubbleEwe, D.o.S., nevada, lordgalvar, Jwar, baremountain, LaoWiz, Jero, Cody_Pole, goroth
dunbine

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ruiner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:19 pm

No problem. Yeah, Soundgas guys are great. If I need to send it back to them to look at I will but a little scared to ship it that far again in its potentially fragile state. There's a store here in Austin that works on Re-201's all the time so going to see what they say first. Definitely a cool, unique and great sounding delay. No maitwnance duties as of yet.

So... you should get one! :excellent:
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear