73 Model T Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: 73 Model T Thread

Postby popvulture » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:28 am

Ah see I always thought they were loud as fuck with not a ton of breakup, but then EQD came out with that Acapulco Gold and I was like huh... didn't think that's how they were supposed to sound.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:33 am

bigbadbeach wrote:Also the 90's reissue amp is not like the old models at all. But they have massive volume and a very nice clean channel to rock a pedal train too. :)

This is in line with the one I played. I'd love to check out an old one.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:57 am

popvulture wrote:Ah see I always thought they were loud as fuck with not a ton of breakup, but then EQD came out with that Acapulco Gold and I was like huh... didn't think that's how they were supposed to sound.

Yeah, that was just marketing.
It sounds like regular distortion (MXR, Ross, etc.) to me, just loud as fuck (which, I guess, is Model T-like).
I even A/B'ed my Dist + and AG and they sounded almost exactly the same (the AG has a higher input cap, so it has a bit more bass).
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:03 am

Regardless of Sunn accuracy, the demos of the AG I heard always piqued my interest. Seems cool?

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 am

It definitely dooms.
#doom #shoegaze #funeralshoe #buttpussy
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:14 am

popvulture wrote:Regardless of Sunn accuracy, the demos of the AG I heard always piqued my interest. Seems cool?

My buddy just picked one up and it definitely sounds cool. I'm all for minimum controls to get the options you need. For me, one knob is not quite enough but he seems to really dig it. Had it on most of our practice haha
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:19 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
popvulture wrote:The only one I've played must not have been a Model T...it was a 90s reissue that was super cool looking but had pretty much zero breakup. Enormous headroom, insanely loud--closest comparison I can make is a Hiwatt.

Sounds like a Model T to me.

Except that's not what Model Ts sound like at all. The V1 has almost no headroom. The Red Knob model has artificially limited gain and an active EQ which makes it cleaner but the V1 mentioned in the thread title doesn't do clean much at all.

Also never got the 'loud as fuck' comments. I think there is a serious amount of static in the air about these amps from people who have probably never played one or even seen one in person. My model T is about as loud as my Marshall 2203 was. The Marshall might have seemed louder because it was much brighter and had a crappy volume taper. My Science heads are much louder than the Model T. The Model T is far from being the top of the mountain in terms of loudness. Just about any 100W amp is as loud or potentially louder than the T.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25 pm

basically the gen 1 just doesn't sound all that good or is as great as claimed.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Yeah the "not a lot of break up" Sunns are the late 60's early 70's models that are based on the Dynaco platform. The OG Model T is not that.

I think the volume thing comes from the fact that most of the people who gravitate towards them tend to be fans of bands that are really fucking loud in general, and the transitive property gets applied. Aside from the eponymous band (who are, by all reports, really fucking loud) there's a whole host of acts that fall under that aesthetic. You can get just as loud with a Peavey IPR or something, especially since a lot of those guys don't use the preamp from more than one head anyway.

That said, Model T's look really cool and (I think) they sound fucking rad, RI's and OG's alike. I don't know if he still does, but I the dude from Russian Circles used to use a pair of them for his clean tone.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:49 pm

waltdogg wrote:basically the gen 1 just doesn't sound all that good or is as great as claimed.

I think the V1 sounds great. Its a punchy gainy vintage rock machine. I just don't think it sounds anything like the conventional wisdom of what a "Sunn Model T OMG" sounds like. IMO that sound is just rat/big muff into any amp ever made.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Yeah the "not a lot of break up" Sunns are the late 60's early 70's models that are based on the Dynaco platform. The OG Model T is not that.

I think the volume thing comes from the fact that most of the people who gravitate towards them tend to be fans of bands that are really fucking loud in general, and the transitive property gets applied. Aside from the eponymous band (who are, by all reports, really fucking loud) there's a whole host of acts that fall under that aesthetic. You can get just as loud with a Peavey IPR or something, especially since a lot of those guys don't use the preamp from more than one head anyway.

That said, Model T's look really cool and (I think) they sound fucking rad, RI's and OG's alike. I don't know if he still does, but I the dude from Russian Circles used to use a pair of them for his clean tone.

He sold one of those heads on Reverb a couple months ago. His amps on the most recent tour were a Twin Reverb RI and a Meat Smoke into an 8x10.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Now that's a fucking doom rig right there.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:34 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:He sold one of those heads on Reverb a couple months ago. His amps on the most recent tour were a Twin Reverb RI and a Meat Smoke into an 8x10.

That's sounds kinda like mine...if I had enough money to buy a Meat Smoke and an 8x10.
Since I always forget:

jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Meatsmoke in 810 is so weird for guitar.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby waltdogg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:32 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:
waltdogg wrote:basically the gen 1 just doesn't sound all that good or is as great as claimed.

I think the V1 sounds great. Its a punchy gainy vintage rock machine. I just don't think it sounds anything like the conventional wisdom of what a "Sunn Model T OMG" sounds like. IMO that sound is just rat/big muff into any amp ever made.

gotcha. agreed.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear