Another delay advice thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Another delay advice thread

Postby peaches » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:03 am

Hey y'all, so I'm sure some may have noticed my gassing for a Tonal Recall on the BST lately. However, the long wait of finding a used one that actually works out cheaper than a new one by the time it's made it to the UK is starting to give me cold feet, so I thought I'd put some questions out.

I'm not one for a clean standard delay, which is why the Tonal Recall appealed to me. I also have a Memory Man Hazarai that'll do that in its own sick sampler-ey way, albeit not on my board. However, I've always been interested in the hype around the el Capistan, especially the more lofi stuff it can do (as in distortion and warbles while maintaining high end), and although strymon isn't really my bag, this one seems very cool. The fact that it has the option to clean up and be pretty and pristine also isn't the worst thing.

I've also looked at the nemesis, but I'm put off there by the fact that I've never held onto a multi effect, be it reverb, delay or anything. I also have a Particle to cover the pitch shifting and reverse stuff on there.

So, are there any delays I've missed? The TR is still nagging on me, and I know the el cap is a very different sound and style, but I'm mostly going for something straightforward, with subtle warble, that will sometimes venture into some pretty extreme modulation, which I think both will do in there own way. So yeah, any input welcomed!
peaches

committed
committed

Re: Another delay advice thread

Postby Tristan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:16 am

It depends on the other features you need, are you looking for a delay with tap tempo or not particularly?
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby peaches » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:32 am

Tristan wrote:It depends on the other features you need, are you looking for a delay with tap tempo or not particularly?

I'd have no say no, tap tempo isn't really a deal breaker as I can't say I've ever used it in my life. Features wise, just a nice characterful, distortable echo with modulation. Presets would be nice, but I'd never use more tgan two. It's mostly just deciding between the varied characters of them all, and if there's anything I've missed in looking.
peaches

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 am

Kilobyte.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:43 am

goroth wrote:Kilobyte.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:52 am

Kilobyte.

...I never actually messed with one, I'm just finding out about it. Just hoped mensioning it three times would beetlejuice the pedal right into my living room.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby peaches » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:29 pm

goroth wrote:Kilobyte.

Ohhh boy that totally slipped my mind, you just blew the game wide open
peaches

committed
committed

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:05 pm

I'd think that just about any MN3005 delay should get you at least half-way there.
Maybe some really tricked out PT2399 delay with decent/interesting filtering (No Mem, Kilobyte, Echo Degrader, ED2, etc.).
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:56 pm

The kilobyte has a boost before the pt-chip so you can slam the shit out of it. Sounds awesome. But it is only on the delay line, and the chip acts as a limiter, so you can have a clean signal and pretty distorted repeats, and you can keep control of the level easily. It cleans up as much as any PT delay. The modulation goes from non to mild to prominent. I wouldn't say crazy though. And momentary oscillation. And soft touche switches.

AND TOP MOUNT!

Kilobyte is super good. You see them every now and then for around 160 2nd hand. I think. Kinda stopped paying attention after I snagged one.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby echorec » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm

gritty delays with modulation control…

Xvive Memory: Howard Davis designed this and the Memory Man. It uses the same Xvive MN3005 chips as the Tonal Recall, although it’s far more stripped down. Around 6:15 you can hear more focus on the modulation. I’ve never played the Hazarai, so I don’t know how much overlap there is between these two pedals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2-JvbVK8IA

Boonar: the best Echorec simulator I’ve owned (much closer to the original than the Catalinbread unit, the Echosex, or the algorithms found in the TC Electronic Alter Ego X4). The multi-head features are much more fun and dynamic than the multihead settings on the Cap.

The Boonar has dipswitches for adjusting voicings and trails. If you really want vintage-flavored echoes, that aren’t engineered to overcompensate with a ton of artificial modulation, this would be my pick. I think this one’s really dynamic with a lot of presence for warm ambience.

I wasn’t wowed by the Capistan and sold mine promptly. (I use an Empress Tape Delay in its place, which sounds great when you employ the aged tape settings.) Strymon products provide crisp, clean sounds, but not necessarily as much body as its analog counterparts. I love the DIG (their dual-channel 80s-inspired digital delay), but that’s the irony I guess. They’re known for great analog emulations thanks to powerful digital interfaces, but I feel the one time they set out to do a digital sound, that it was far richer and more organic than their previous emulation attempts.

EQD Disaster Transport: These are discontinued, because they got sandwiched between the deluxe model and the new DSP-based Avalanche. These can do haunting, ethereal washes or they can be rolled down for slapback and more straightforward, less gritty echoes. I've also owned the Kilobyte, but I favor this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viSTG38HqAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBXZNAjvWU
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby peaches » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks for the detailed response Echorec!

I had heard on the xvive, but if I went that way I'd probably hold off for the chase bliss, I've always got on with those pedals so well.

Damn that Boonar looks sweet, never heard of that in my life but might have to check one out. Seeing as they're based in Croatia, fingers crossed they distribute from there and I can get an EU deal.

I did actually pick up an el Cap earlier today after checking some Kilobyte videos, as I don't feel the Kilobyte does subtle as well as the Strymon, to my personal taste -

HOWEVER I now have completely separate Kilobyte gas and will be keeping an eye out for a good price on one.

If I don't like the el Cap I got a good price, and should be able to sell and break even. I was actually considering of doing that anyway as a placeholder until I can get a deal on a Tonal Recall.

On a separate note, has anyone seen any cool strymon acid etches? I feel the el Cap deserves to look dirtier than strymon's aesthetic.
peaches

committed
committed

Postby peaches » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Definitely helpful in helping me rule some stuff out too!
peaches

committed
committed

Postby fcknoise » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 pm

I love the el cap. Secondary function on the wow and flutter knob is the tape crinkle function, seriously awesome.

Also thought of getting my el cap etched. Like a big reel-to-reel on it or something
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby peaches » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Brandsmannen wrote:I love the el cap. Secondary function on the wow and flutter knob is the tape crinkle function, seriously awesome.

Also thought of getting my el cap etched. Like a big reel-to-reel on it or something

Sweet! Yeah that's basically the function that sold it for me!

Do you know of any etchers in Europe? I'd be super keen to get a couple things done, and I love the acid etch wrecked stuff vibe.
peaches

committed
committed

Postby ThorZ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 am

Peaches,

You can get one shipped to my Philadelphia office and as long as it makes it there by the middle of next week i can get my boss to bring it back to the uk. If it doesnt then i can get the guys there to return it i reckon, just letting you know
Im not back. Im just front
ThorZ

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear