Meet Maude vs Pladask vs....

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Meet Maude vs Pladask vs....

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:59 pm

Christophe wrote:My english is failing me here : do you mean the standard Roland exp pedal doesn't work with the Meet Maude?

I'm trying that out soon. My expression pedal is a little roller wheel thing, but it works just like the roland expression pedal.
CV is different. Standards for control voltage, it's like how modular synths/euro rack stuff works. Instead of adjusting a knob remotely (expression pedal) you're altering the electricity getting to the pedal. Or something like that. I'm new to CV, just dipping my toes in now.

Edit: I don't really understand with confidence how CV works, so any further explanation or links to youtube would be appreciated.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:11 am

PeteeBee wrote:
oscillateur wrote:
PeteeBee wrote:So I picked up a Maude, mostly from this thread. Really freaking love it. Now I'm curious: what will the cv of I start using it. Thinking about picking up an Arf. I've wanted one forever and it sends cv signal, but I have no idea how the two will play together. Also looking at the twin stags. Tremolo/delay is so tasty, again just no idea how the cv would work.

You need to check the range of CV expected / sent from the pedals. Sadly, pedals manufacturers tend not to specify that.
Also, make sure that the pedal that receives the CV is designed to handle voltages beyond the expected range. And frankly, if they don't their design is flawed, in my opinion.

The Maude is designed for 0-5volts, but I can't find any info on how much current the twin stags or arf would send. Kind of a bummer since this is such an expensive thing to guess at and try to figure out. I'll email dwarfcraft.

I kinda remember 0-5V being mentioned in a Dwarfcraft video but I'm not sure what it was for. This kind of info should be on the product page.
The most important is to make sure that the Maude can ignore voltages beyond its expected range without any issue. Check with the manufacturer to be sure.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:19 am

PeteeBee wrote:
Christophe wrote:My english is failing me here : do you mean the standard Roland exp pedal doesn't work with the Meet Maude?

I'm trying that out soon. My expression pedal is a little roller wheel thing, but it works just like the roland expression pedal.
CV is different. Standards for control voltage, it's like how modular synths/euro rack stuff works. Instead of adjusting a knob remotely (expression pedal) you're altering the electricity getting to the pedal. Or something like that. I'm new to CV, just dipping my toes in now.

Edit: I don't really understand with confidence how CV works, so any further explanation or links to youtube would be appreciated.

Expression pedals usually get a voltage from whatever device they're connected to, attenuate it and then send it back. That way there is no chance of the circuit getting an unexpected voltage. When you connect an external voltage source directly though, you have to make sure that the circuit can handle extra/negative voltages otherwise burnt chips and sadness can occur. It doesn't cost much to add protection to circuits for that but because effect pedals makers (until recently) only expect people to plug expression pedals in the EXP socket, it's not always done. Digital chips often need 0-3.3v or so for example, so if there is nothing in there to regulate the voltage you can kill the chips easily.

So yeah, for pedals : check with the manufacturers to be sure.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for the help, oscillateur. Now waiting for emails back from Fairfield and dwarfcraft. I'm just so curious what these combos will do. Like I think the happiness is the most versatile for cv purposes, but maybe least useful to me as a standalone stompbox.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aens_wife » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:42 pm

I'll get to the email today (sorry!) and I'll also edit our website to clarify.

All of our CV stuff is built for eurorack standards (+/-12v). I haven't used it with the Meet Maude, but I'll mess around with a few other pedal combos this week and we will get some more info out there on this feature.
aens_wife

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:02 pm

aens_wife wrote:I'll get to the email today (sorry!) and I'll also edit our website to clarify.

All of our CV stuff is built for eurorack standards (+/-12v). I haven't used it with the Meet Maude, but I'll mess around with a few other pedal combos this week and we will get some more info out there on this feature.

No rush! I only sent it yesterday. That makes sense why aen talked in the videos about it internally converting from 9volts to 12. Feel free to test anything and let me know! Sounds now like the big mystery is whether the Maude can handle the higher voltage.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tiagop » Mon May 01, 2017 10:23 am

Bumping this as I'm contemplating buying the Meet Maude and am confused about the CV function as well.
tiagop

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby PeteeBee » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

Funny this is bumped now as last time I posted I here was at the height of my big,complex board. I then tore it down to a few and am now building back up to complex again. This time I'm trying to get more functionality from pedals with presets (strymon and chase bliss, specifically).

Good luck on finding your CV answers!
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tiagop » Mon May 01, 2017 10:33 am

PeteeBee wrote:Funny this is bumped now as last time I posted I here was at the height of my big,complex board. I then tore it down to a few and am now building back up to complex again. This time I'm trying to get more functionality from pedals with presets (strymon and chase bliss, specifically).

Good luck on finding your CV answers!

So you ended up never using the CV interface on the Maude?
tiagop

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby PeteeBee » Mon May 01, 2017 12:03 pm

No I never did, regretfully. I couldn't ever get my head around what I would be trying to create sonically. Most of the demos were syncing up with sequencers which wasn't something I cared about. I just wanted to see what would happen with an Arf or something, but I never ponied up the money just for curiosity.
Suffering suits you.

PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to General Gear