Sentimentality / Collectibility – hoard or move on

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Sentimentality / Collectibility – hoard or move on

Postby Jwar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:22 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:If you don't need the $$, don't sell something you like at all.

What if you don't need the money literally right now, but you will in let's say ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 4 months? lol
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Will you not blow it in the intervening time?
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Hmmmmmmmm...well...that's always a possibility. LOL!!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby friendship » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:47 pm

When I think about selling something, I usually worry that I'm going to want it and not have it after it's gone. This fear has yet to come true, though.

There are a couple items I believed I would never sell, but one of them was a Strat that I sold a while ago and haven't regretted it even once since then, so now I feel like pretty much everything is dispensable. To be fair though, I don't really give a shit about guitar junk these days.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:02 am

Lion is cloneable. I'd sell it unless I had some real personal attachment.
Space Station would be hard to replace. If it does something I can't get otherwise, I'd probably keep it.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby O Drones » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:38 pm

I've had three El Caps, and I'm considering selling my Timeline and getting another El Cap. Fuck knows what's going on with me and that pedal. I'm definitely a flipper though, I can't hold onto anything. Went through an absolute ton of stuff in the last couple of years.
O Drones

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:59 pm

I would sell both the Lion & Space Station. There's much more to value than cost.
Cash out while you can and put the money into something to use sooner than later. Something more practical, utilitarian than specialty/niche
I've made it a point to figure out what my untouchables are and build around them. Everything else is readily negotiable.
NSFW: show
Got my Harmonic Percolator for $180 as a gift from mom. It's stickered with a gift from my 1st gf as an adolescent. Last dirt I'd sell.
Got myself a 1981 DMM with chip upgrades & gremlins for $300. It was the first and the last delay I'll sell.
Dat Selmer is the last amp I'll sell.
My far-east DuoSonic is a $60 plywood guitar. Pure sentiment at this point.
I'd sooner sell the '63 Epi Cas worth 50x as much as the beater. Some sentiment aside.
I somewhat recently scored a limited D*A*M fuzz I've seen sell for 20x as much. Awesome but no sentiment. It could easily find itself in new hands of the right individual but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying it :love:

Other examples apply.

The only pedal I've ever replaced was a LFLJ sold to raise quick cash for an opportunity to try a collectible, knowing I could replace the LFLJ with relative ease.
Collectibility is cool but at some point I get annoyed by having fancy paperweights collecting dust as shelf-sitters, because my tastes have once again shifted and sacrifices must be made to continue on the journey when you're working with limited resources. Gotta be savvy. I've had (& sold or traded) numerous desirable Spaceman Effects. Mercury III, Gemini III, Aphelion, Saturn V. Also the WOW Signal.
It would be cool to play them all again but I'm not going out of my way, or pocket to do so anytime soon. Numerous other prev-owned pedals would beat them out with priority (AD-9, DM-2, PS-3). But there's other stuff on the never-shrinking short-list :hobbes:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:03 pm

I'd hold on to it because there will be a time when you see that one thing you want so much it hurts. Always good to keep valuable stuff around for those moments imo. If there's like an amp or guitar you really want you'd make a good chunk of money on those to towards it
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Basically the last two posts sum up the feels for me. I've been getting rid of a good bit of stuff lately, which is good—I've been a total collector since I was a little kid, and I have the hardest time letting go of stuff. Don't even get me started on guitars—I have a 74 LP Special on consignment in a shop right now and I'm squirming so hard about letting it go, even though I never played the thing. It's stupid. I have a dumb amount of guitars, but I don't care because it's unquestionably my favorite thing ever, aside from obvious things like love, friends n family.

Totally see your points about selling, Rusty. The Lion sounds super killer but it's by no means an OD that I'd use on my board, unless it was just an extra one I had on there to kick on every once in a while, and I don't have time for that kind of thing. The Space Station is such a weirdo, fun thing but it's completely non-tweakable, the epitome of an unnecessary luxury item.

The collector thing in me is just so hard to wrangle though. Why? I don't know. Anyway though, this thread has helped. It did exactly what I wanted—gave me some insight into the way other people think. Helping me work through it. Obv this potential approach isn't just for the Lion and the SS, but all gear related shit I own.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:37 pm

vidret wrote:I don't mind selling gifts and I don't mind people selling my gifts.

I got a hall of fame reverb the first secret santa I was in, it was the first reverb on my board, but it had so many modes going, so I sold it to pay for a ghost echo, which I then sold to partially pay for the bitquest, and now I use the bitquest reverb.

If I hadn't gotten the hall of fame I might not have gotten into reverbs :)

I'll make my own relevant post here as well. Sell or keep?

Korg er-1 drum machine

and

microkorg

I've got an OP-1 so it feels like I'd turn to the op-1 instead of either of those first.
You should keep that space station tho, just to hoard.

Selling or regifting gifts is fair game. I feel better when a new owner will use something I've been neglecting. Better to do so before sentimental attachment sets in, but sometimes that makes the giving all the more rewarding, especially if it goes to a good home of someone you care about and will enjoy use-by-proxy.

I'd move both Korgs along to new homes. If you're asking for suggestions, you may (likely) have some seller's remorse but nothing in terms of world-shattering regrets. Identify the gear you struggle to imagine living without, which you wont leave up to someone else's decision. Those are the keepers to cherish.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:10 am

I'd keep the Space Station, sell the Lion. It's just fuzz, man... No fuzz is irreplaceable

yeah I said it. What
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:19 am

That's because you haven't heard what a piece of shit the Space Station actually is :lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am

^^^ Pretty much this. I mean, I'd be inclined to say it's a rather lovely piece of shit, but a pile nonetheless. Very fun to use for a little while, after which you realize you'd like to tweak some parameters but are SOL.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Ah well :)

I mean I would PERSONALLY sell both if I weren't using them :idk: I rarely keep pedals I don't use... I think all I have despite not using I still have because they're broken and not worth fixing so I'm keeping them for the chassis alone to have something built/rehoused in them some day :lol:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Prob will keep the Lion, sell the SS.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear