Pro Guitar Shop articles

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pro Guitar Shop articles

Postby space6oy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:50 am

this one was actually sorta interesting to me, just because for the most part i'm like "what? pssh, i'd never put that in that place in my chain..."

curious what you other ILFers think. i know some of us are crazy w/ crazy rigs, but still.

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/ar ... ects-chain
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Pro Guitar Shop articles

Postby Hobbes96 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:00 am

Seems fairly standard, though I think it's a little more normal to place volume after drives
We're on a road to nowhere. Come take a ride.
Hobbes96

committed
committed

Postby 01010111 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:05 am

Idk? I think it's silly that there's a need for articles like this? It seems like people think pedals and pedalboards are really complicated, and that you could break something really easy? I feel like more people should be told they aren't going to break shit and that there's no "right" way to do it. Every reason he listed for not doing something is also a good argument for why you'd want to do just that.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:26 am

Their articles are mostly inane and banal.
At best.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 am

This is a really old article fron them, I think. Recycled from 2011 and with a fresh date in it or something.

Not sure why I opened a PGS email. I like to keep my eyes open for Free Pedal Friday shit, even though I know the winner's going to be Gaspar from Lisbon or whatever.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby echorec » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:02 am

Iommic Pope wrote:Their articles are mostly inane and banal.
At best.

I remember when a guy wrote an article on the greatest phasers of all-time, and at the end of the article admitted he only owned one phaser. I thought, "Hell no. You can't declare yourself the authority on phasing, if your phaser love is so weak, that you only own one. I own 15. I should have written this article." Gear press has consistently maintained an exceptionally low bar over the years.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 am

Welcome to the wide world of evergreen content and republishing, a direct side effect of: no one is willing to pay for information anymore.

But I do think there's some merit to this sort of content, even if the ultimate lesson should be "rules are meant to be broken." People gotta learn somewhere.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 am

It is an ad...it is like Costco or AAA magazine with less information. It's like reading a Banana Republic catalog for fashion tips. It is what it is.

On the other hand, I did learn to experiment. I've never tried effects together or in different orders.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:17 am

:lol: :lol:

I mean I'm pretty 'missionary with the lights off' when it comes to my actual pedal chain with stringed electric instruments, so I kind of get it?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Is this really the usual way, for guitarists? I know bass player preferences pretty well, and a big majority would put modulation after drive/fuzz.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:29 pm

I usually place a pedal wherever the empty plug in the One Spot chain is/wherever the least amount of rearranging is required. Seems to work out ok.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Ever since I heard AEN say to put overdrive last, I've done it (except right now I don't own an OD lol). This order thing is silly. The only pedal I'm really anal about putting in some kind of order is if I'm using a compressor. It just makes sense to put first.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:45 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:I usually place a pedal wherever the empty plug in the One Spot chain is/wherever the least amount of rearranging is required. Seems to work out ok.

Jah bless, I don't have 40 years to rearrange pedals.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm

jwar wrote:Ever since I heard AEN say to put overdrive last, I've done it (except right now I don't own an OD lol). This order thing is silly. The only pedal I'm really anal about putting in some kind of order is if I'm using a compressor. It just makes sense to put first.

Unless you want to run it after a filter to even out the spikes (looking at you FX-25).

I always put my tuner last which drives some people up the wall.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:37 pm

What happens when I have two compressors? Andy! Also disappointed he didn't go into parallel paths, passive ring modulation, direct input, stereo, and feedback loops.

When are these articles going to become vignettes about how Johnny Depp discovered Mu-Tron while backpacking in the Rockies...and how AARP helped his band get a show. You don't know AARP.

I need help from the deepest darkest place in Portland to the frozen sonic tundra of Akron.

(Andy is cool as a player and I like his videos, but I don't need to hear about a "foundation overdrive" and stuff like that and how it will bring out the character of the thorpy warhead. Dirty little secret must be a high margin item for PGS).

The videos have much more value than that Tone Report Magazine. I do kind of find it funny when a magazine made specifically to sell items from PGS sweet heart deals drops a Sonic Crayon into their list of the month article....

On that note, I experimented:

Tuner has no place...it gets used once per day. Reverb goes on reverb so it can go on someone else's chain. Fuzz/distortion everywhere else. Tis proper. Delay only in internet videos or fed back into itself to annoy neighbors or make miku talk because I have no real life friends and a wife that works 12-15 hours a day.

Really, attitude-> guitar->dirt-> ring mod-> amp

Brought to you by CB Dirty Little Secret...keep ahead of the other bands with you own.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Gear