SMM w/ Hazarai...Any alternatives?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: SMM w/ Hazarai...Any alternatives?

Postby resincum » Mon May 23, 2016 12:54 am

I ditched the SMMH cause it dropped in volume. but the looper is fucking AWESOME and only reason I got it to begin with (same with the timefactor lol). powering it was annoying.

I see you're after tweakability and different flavors of modulation..have you considered the dd500? the thing can do somuch and gets real weird. presets, independent wet/dry vol, can use 2 patches at once, etc.. pretty sure you can get the reverse to behave as you'd like, too, since it has so many options vs the standard one like on the dd7. the looper is hella basic, tho.
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ev_O))) » Mon May 23, 2016 1:44 am

Jero wrote:
Ev_O))) wrote:Timefactor is awesome if you can hunt one down used. I enjoyed mine while I had it. Looper can get super weird, especially with an EXP Pedal connected and assigned to parameters like the loop length or feedback.

Teach me the ways

Essentially this shit, but the current looper firmware allows for reverse playback as well:

I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby Invisible Man » Mon May 23, 2016 10:59 am

Erm...ditched my SMMH, got a DD-7 and a CT5. Very happy with this. Interesting loop options, weird delays. Still want a legit analog delay, too...but the CT5 does a lot of the same weird looping stuff that the SMMH does/did. Plus more...Has no tone control, though.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby frigid midget » Mon May 23, 2016 11:52 am

Timefactor...Pricey, though not completely out of reach. It's huge though, and I'm worried I'll end up messing with knobs and buttons more than I end up playing guitar. Which is another reason I'm having second thoughts about the smmh. I keep reading it's got quite a learning curve if you want to get everything out of it. Than again, I'll probably have to choose between a 'set and forget' easy to use delay that's limiting in terms of sounds/options, or dealing with a more versatile unit that requires a bit more tweaking :idk:

The goal is to end up with a nice medium, best of both worlds :idk:

I noticed the TC Nova Repeater doesn't seem to get a lot of love around here. Never heard one in action, for all I know it sounds like ass...
I just know it can be found dirt cheap concidering it's small and versatile :idk: No repeats, but otherwhise it the specs seem ligit, no? :idk:
Last edited by frigid midget on Mon May 23, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Mon May 23, 2016 12:06 pm

In the land of delays versatile equals crap in my opinion.
I'd recommend getting an analog or PT2399 delay for the mod delays and something else for the other weirder stuff.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby aholidayatthesea » Mon May 23, 2016 12:39 pm

If you did research and want the SMMH, then get it. You can buy it used and sell it for about what you paid.

But if you're worried about turning too many knobs then get the Repeater. It's seems to get a lot of love elsewhere, has more easily accessible presets, better sounding delays, more modulation options, reasonable price, small size... Then if you want a looper you can get the ditto x2 or ehx720 or something.

edit: just discovered the Repeater doesn't have presets? The Nova delay does. So... something else to consider.
aholidayatthesea

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Mon May 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Tristan wrote:In the land of delays versatile equals crap in my opinion.
I'd recommend getting an analog or PT2399 delay for the mod delays and something else for the other weirder stuff.

Wow, no shit. Even the pricey boutique ones? I mean, I know that 20 years ago there more shitty sounding "analog voiced" digital delays peds out there than good ones, but for instance the Empress Superdelay I used to have pretty much nailed the bbd and tape thing imo. Especially in a full band mix, I doubt anyone would hear much of a difference :idk:

So do you mean 'crap' as in shitty build quality? :idk: And what's the "something else" type of delay peds you're refering to?
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Mon May 23, 2016 1:12 pm

aholidayatthesea wrote:If you did research and want the SMMH, then get it. You can buy it used and sell it for about what you paid.

But if you're worried about turning too many knobs then get the Repeater. It's seems to get a lot of love elsewhere, has more easily accessible presets, better sounding delays, more modulation options, reasonable price, small size... Then if you want a looper you can get the ditto x2 or ehx720 or something.

edit: just discovered the Repeater doesn't have presets? The Nova delay does. So... something else to consider.

I could probably score a smmh AND a Repeater for under 190Euro... :excellent:

I'll just replace the one I like the least with an analog delay and call it a day...Untill my GAS returns again :facepalm:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Mon May 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Dunno, I just don't like them. :lol:
Bloody digital do it all multi delays. :grumpy:

General Delay (from my collection)
80 Tape In Limbo II (one of the best sounding analog delays both rhythmic and athmospheric, does arpeggiation weirdness to boot)
Dr Scientist ILF Day Delay (one of the best sounding PT2399 delays with modulation and a nice feature set)
EHX Deluxe Memory Man 550TT (one of the best sounding analog delays both rhythmic and athmospheric)
Mooer ReEcho (great sounding easy and small package, works perfect for both rhythmic and ambient delays)

Quirky Delay (from my collection)
Boss DD-5 (one of my favourite digital delays with a great reverse mode)
Montreal Assembly CT5 (most crazy awesome glitch loop delay device I know)
SS/BS No Memory (the odd one, jumps from DMM to weirdness at own will)
Tomkat Day Dreamer (staccato but ambient, quite unique and inspiring, sounds great)

General Delay (would recommend these)
Chase Bliss Tonal Recall
Gigahearts FX Madbean based PT2399 DMM style delay
Way Huge Supa Puss

Quirky Delay (would recommend these)
Alexander Radical Delay Dual
EQD Avalanche Run
Ibanez DML
Pladask Elektrisk Gjengangar II
Rainger FX Echo-X
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Mon May 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Tristan wrote:Dunno, I just don't like them. :lol:
Bloody digital do it all multi delays. :grumpy:

General Delay (from my collection)
80 Tape In Limbo II (one of the best sounding analog delays both rhythmic and athmospheric, does arpeggiation weirdness to boot)
Dr Scientist ILF Day Delay (one of the best sounding PT2399 delays with modulation and a nice feature set)
EHX Deluxe Memory Man 550TT (one of the best sounding analog delays both rhythmic and athmospheric)
Mooer ReEcho (great sounding easy and small package, works perfect for both rhythmic and ambient delays)

Quirky Delay (from my collection)
Boss DD-5 (one of my favourite digital delays with a great reverse mode)
Montreal Assembly CT5 (most crazy awesome glitch loop delay device I know)
SS/BS No Memory (the odd one, jumps from DMM to weirdness at own will)
Tomkat Day Dreamer (staccato but ambient, quite unique and inspiring, sounds great)

General Delay (would recommend these)
Chase Bliss Tonal Recall
Gigahearts FX Madbean based PT2399 DMM style delay
Way Huge Supa Puss

Quirky Delay (would recommend these)
Alexander Radical Delay Dual
EQD Avalanche Run
Ibanez DML
Pladask Elektrisk Gjengangar II
Rainger FX Echo-X

Damn...It'll take me a whole day to check the demos of all those pedals I hardly know...:s

I could probably narrow it down by cutting all the >$250 and/or unobtanium ones from the list.

Since you mension the DML...There seems to be somesort of hype around that pedal, the days when it could be found on flee markets for $30 is apparantly history :( Don't suppose you've ever messed with a Digitech PDS1002? Not that it's that close to a DML, but it's a digital delay from the same era, and it can still be found sub-100Euro...:idk:

Used to have a DD-5 btw. Really miss the reverse mode. When I sold it, I just assumed that same mode could easily be found in some other fancy digital delay. Turns out I was wrong. Those glitchy chopped up repeats have something dreamy and lofi about em, they just make a rrrrealy juicy background that don't get in the way of you're playing over it. Too bad the regular digital delay wasn't able to cut through the way an RV-3 does. I like my analog (voiced) delays mushy and dark, I prefer my digital delays glassy and pristine...
Last edited by frigid midget on Mon May 23, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby aholidayatthesea » Mon May 23, 2016 2:17 pm

frigid midget wrote:
aholidayatthesea wrote:If you did research and want the SMMH, then get it. You can buy it used and sell it for about what you paid.

I could probably score a smmh AND a Repeater for under 190Euro... :excellent:

I'll just replace the one I like the least with an analog delay and call it a day...Untill my GAS returns again :facepalm:

Yeah dude. Go for it.
aholidayatthesea

committed
committed

Postby Tristan » Mon May 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Hey dude, you're in the EU right, where the heck do you live anyway?
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Mon May 23, 2016 5:20 pm

^ Take a wild guess: We're neighbours, roughly half of our population speaks your language, and our nation is going through its worst identity crisis since ww2...

Update on the TC Electronics Nova Repeater: Checked a bunch of demos. Jawn.

Sure it's small, affordable, it has tap tempo, super easy and straight forward to dial in a nice sound, a couple neat tricks (like the double delay)...But I don't really care for any of the other modes, it definitelly seems like a smmh or even a DL6 would be more fun when it comes to quircky or ambienty stuff...:idk:

Calling it a day, the longer I'm lookin around and considering different options, the longer my list gets. Boss PS-3 for those sparkly clear repeats and chirpy tera melos noises, empress tape delay for the killer tape emulation...Or go nuts and just get a Nemesis or Limbo II, or Avalanche Run, or Time Factor, or Hungry robot Moby Dick, or wait for the rumored Function (fx) delay...I'm hopeless :facepalm:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 am

Aha, Belgium!
Close to Breda / Antwerp by any chance?

I have a Boss DSD-3 here by the way, does not do the reverse of the DD-5 but some people say it sounds better and it does have fun separate hold and sample / trigger modes, I'm willing to part with it and it wouldn't set you back that much (90 EUR).
If you like we can meet up sometime or I can send you a box of things to try.
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 am

^ Thanks for the offer, but if I'm going the digital route, I'll probably want more than 800ms of delay time :idk:
And I'd also probably want a couple more useable modes, instead of just the sample/trigger mode.

Kinda decided on trying the smmh, already made an offer for a local deal...
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear