RING MODS - suggestions?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

RING MODS - suggestions?

Postby Dowi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:01 am

I need a new Ring Mod but i can't seem to find something that suits my needs.
Right now i'm using the Ring Mod mode on the Blackout Effectors Whetstone and it feels great, but i feel like i'm using this pedal only for a minimum part of what it can do and moreover, i need something smaller.
Things that it must have (or not):
- Precise tracking of the played track (the less delay - even if the smallest - the better)
- No loss of volume and/or low end: i play in a heavy/mathy two-piece, it would be the death of grooves
- Knob to mix clean and effected signal
- Top mounted jacks? a dream came true
- Not excessively expensive - i mean 200-230€ max

Right now i think the only things that could do are the Moog Minifooger Ring or the Fairfield Randy's Revenge but i have never tried any of them.

Release the suggestions and a virtual beer will appear on your screen.

:animal:
Last edited by Dowi on Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: RING MODS - suggestions?

Postby fcknoise » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:07 am

Paging Lordgalvar
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ognoy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:33 am

I love the Moogerfooger(the big one)Ring Mod. Didn't like the minifooger.
The MF-102 is enormous though, but if you got room for it, that's my recommendation. It also gives you sweet spacy tremolo, overdriver, an oscillator and LOTS of weird sounds. Works great with guitars, keys, drum machines etc.
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Casavettes » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:55 am

I really like the ring mod on my bitquest
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby HighDeaf1080p » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 am

WOOT!!! We got the Bitquest down to 3 replies flat in this thread! Awesome!
All the pedals...the jolly, candy-like pedals...:drool:

http://www.soundcloud.com/highdeaf1080p

Comey for president 2016, 2020, 2024, etc.
HighDeaf1080p

experienced
experienced

Postby Casavettes » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:36 am

Dowi wrote:No loss of volume and/or low end: i play in a heavy/mathy two-piece, it would be the death of grooves

It fits this exactly
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:01 am

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=50264

Whetstone isn't a real ring Modulator. It just gets into "ring mod like speeds".

Tracking isn't a ring mod thing. There are exceptions (ehx ring thing, that subdecay one). There should never be a delay in a normal ring mod because it is signal multiplication. I guess if someone screwed up really bad with carrier suppression. The best way to get tracking without using the ring thing or subdecay is to run parallel paths with Pitch shift or looping:

Volume loss depends on you for the most part. It is signal multiplication and it will be the volume of both signals going in (there are exceptions but that is usually an added preamp or, on a few, to balance signals).

Ranges, Preamps, type (digital, diode ring, IC switching*, transistor gate, vactrol), and carrier waveforms/ranges are all good factors to look at in ring mods.

The minifooger has a small range of carrier oscillaror against Randy or the mf102. Again, none of these track (well manually you can with an exp pedal).

A solid cheap one would be the copilot Robotum (if you want square CO). Or the MF102 (can be had for $175 USD).

My preference would personally be to use a signal splitter with boost into passive diode ring modulation with a pitchshifter and mcrolooper in one path and then remix it with a small active mixer to get wet/dry mix (though I don't mix in clean).

Hope that helps.

*IC can be transistor gate (tab101 based) too...but ICs are usually close to digital sounding with less round/imperfect waveforms due to quicker multiplication.
Last edited by lordgalvar on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 am

ognoy wrote:I love the Moogerfooger(the big one)Ring Mod. Didn't like the minifooger.
The MF-102 is enormous though, but if you got room for it, that's my recommendation. It also gives you sweet spacy tremolo, overdriver, an oscillator and LOTS of weird sounds. Works great with guitars, keys, drum machines etc.

Yes, i bet the big one is amazing, once i was tempted to buy it but i had to exclude it because it's too damn huge :mad: .

Casavettes wrote:
Dowi wrote:No loss of volume and/or low end: i play in a heavy/mathy two-piece, it would be the death of grooves

It fits this exactly

Just had a look on a couple of demos and the Bitquest really seems to fit all of this :eek: , too bad right now it's out of my budget and nobody seems to have it used for sale here in Europe. I'll keep an eye open for this one, thanks

lordgalvar wrote:http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=50264

Whetstone isn't a real ring Modulator. It just gets into "ring mod like speeds".

Tracking isn't a ring mod thing. There are exceptions (ehx ring thing, that subdecay one). There should never be a delay in a normal ring mod because it is signal multiplication. I guess if someone screwed up really bad with carrier suppression. The best way to get tracking without using the ring thing or subdecay is to run parallel paths with Pitch shift or looping:

Volume loss depends on you for the most part. It is signal multiplication and it will be the volume of both signals going in (there are exceptions but that is usually an added preamp or, on a few, to balance signals).

Ranges, Preamps, type, and waveforms are all good factors to look at in ring mods.

The minifooger has a small range of carrier oscillaror against Randy or the mf102. Again, none of these track (well manually you can with an exp pedal).

Just get the ring thing. A solid cheap one would be the copilot Robotum (if you want square CO).

My preference would personally be to use a signal splitter with boost into passive diode ring modulation with a pitchshifter and mcrolooper in one path and then remix it with a small passive mixer to get wet/dry mix (though I don't mix in clean).

Hope that helps.

Woah, thanks for the explanation man. I'll go and check in the discussion you linked up there right now, anyway i think that having a signal splitter and a passive mixer to get the exact mix i want from the two channels would be too much for the use i'm doing of the ring mod.
I already have excluded the Robotum because it was too noisy and squared for my taste but i'll have a deeper look to the EHX Ring Thing and the Vitruvian from Subdecay, maybe the second one also fits my saving-space needs.
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:22 am

Meant active mixer in my parallel thing, sorry....edited above message
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:23 am

lordgalvar wrote: (... that subdecay one)

That's the one I was gonna suggest as far as tracking goes. No top jacks and I've never played one. So, I couldn't tell you about volume/low end loss. It does have a blend control though. Don't think it's too expensive either.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:32 am

The subdecay one has a carrier range right around the heavy Saturn or the minifooger. It sounds OK to me. It is hard to really get the high stabbing sounds and no lfo range.it is just all setup weird to me and I didn't care about the tracking (don't get it).

It sounded kinda boring and too clean to me...but I ain't into all the tracking. It does what it does I guess. It is pretty special for that.

Robotum isn't noisy either...that is just the people playing it (and the square is at audio level on the carrier....nothing square at the end sound though). Unless you are talking compression? Planetoid is good too though.

Frostwave Blue Ringer V 2 is a good one too. Fits everything but the tracking (but it does have a co in and you can blend ext and int cos ). It is in your price range if you find a fair deal...
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

Casavettes wrote:I really like the ring mod on my bitquest

This seems to tick most boxes. They pop up in B/S/T every once in a while. Plus it does a buncha more stuff so you could justify spending a little more anyways :p
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:26 am

lordgalvar wrote:The subdecay one has a carrier range right around the heavy Saturn or the minifooger. It sounds OK to me. It is hard to really get the high stabbing sounds and no lfo range.it is just all setup weird to me and I didn't care about the tracking (don't get it).

It sounded kinda boring and too clean to me...but I ain't into all the tracking. It does what it does I guess. It is pretty special for that.

Yeah, I think when people fuck with the very nature of ring modulation, they're gonna have to accept some compromises.

Brandsmannen wrote:

This seems to tick most boxes. They pop up in B/S/T every once in a while. Plus it does a buncha more stuff so you could justify spending a little more anyways :p

I thought the ring mod on the BitQuest was fair enough. It'll do in a pinch, but not as good as a stand alone ring mod. I guess it all depends on how often you use ring mod. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dowi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:37 am

Brandsmannen wrote:

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
you can't push me further into GAS, that's unfair.

Chankgeez wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:The subdecay one has a carrier range right around the heavy Saturn or the minifooger. It sounds OK to me. It is hard to really get the high stabbing sounds and no lfo range.it is just all setup weird to me and I didn't care about the tracking (don't get it).

Yeah, I think when people fuck with the very nature of ring modulation, they're gonna have to accept some compromises.

Yes that' just because i need to use it only for a particular purpose, so i don't need it to be the most tweakable ring mod on earth as long as it remains "stable" and respects the signal i run into it (as long as a ring mod can respect a signal).
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby resincum » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

I'm not too knowledgeable on ring mods, but the one in bitquest fucking rules.. no loss of volume or tone either. it can actually boost with the fuzz. top jacks, etc. :)*
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Gear