strings

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: strings

Postby ThurberMingus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
Pepe wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:I broke d'addarios every time I played 'em.

I really have to see you playing guitar someday! :wha?: I play D'Addario strings more than eight years now and I have always changed them after several months, because they started becoming dull. In those eight years there was ONE e1 string that snapped during playing. I don't have aggressively sweating fingers, though and maybe the German climate is better for guitar strings? :idk: .

Haha, when I switched to my Jag (before going back to the Yamaha) I broke strings less. I played D'Addario for years though. And the few sets that did survive a month, like you say, would go dull. Haven't had that problem with Rotosound or B52s. I sweat though (and generally get my heart rate up to crazy levels out of frantic movement and anger! Gotta play angry to the punks).

And I always used to play in less than ideal conditions (like empty pools, buildings that caved in, places with moisture). It would also get hot (like up to 120 degrees). I think mostly I like lighter gauge strings and the Yamaha has pretty strong springs in the trem. Combined with only doing bends and not really playing guitar (and using steel picks, hitting it, pulling strings off on accident and just doing weird stuff) not really surprising I destroyed strings.

A few times I had all six break at once haha. I think those were ernie balls or ehx though.

I like D'addarios more than Ernie Balls but the just can't survive an offset tremolo. They always unwind. I found out that I can solder the wind at the end to alleviate the problem but it's such a fucking hassle.

Ernie Ball 11s, never tried anything other than EB or the big d :idk:
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:41 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:
NSFW: show

I'm pretty stuck on the Dean Markley Blue Steel 10s for my Jaguars. Everything else sounds too bright.
I'd be interested in trying flatwounds but my understanding is I'd want to go up in size and have to file the nut. Is that right?

I don't know. My bad--I meant fretless bass. Never owned a fretless guitar, thought that'd be awesome.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby ck3 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:52 pm

Interesting to see the number of ILF members using D'addario light top heavy bottom (LTHB) 10's. Do most of you drop tune? If so, how low are you able to go with LTHB 10's?

My choice of strings depends upon tuning and scale length:

Open C with a 25.5" 6-string-D'addario 10-52
E standard with a 25.5" 6-string-D'addario 10-46
Eb standard with a 25.5" 6-string-D'addario 10.5-48
Drop A with a 27" scale 7-string-D'addario 10-46+64 (I'm considering downsizing to 9.5's for the top 6 strings)
Drop E with a 28 5/8" scale 8-string-Kalium 9-79 8-string set
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:00 pm

ThurberMingus wrote:I like D'addarios more than Ernie Balls but the just can't survive an offset tremolo. They always unwind. I found out that I can solder the wind at the end to alleviate the problem but it's such a fucking hassle.

Ernie Ball 11s, never tried anything other than EB or the big d :idk:

That is exactly what would happen to me. Never thought about soldering them. I really like my B52s now though (been my string for a long time). Problem solved I guess.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby repoman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:06 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:
NSFW: show

I'm pretty stuck on the Dean Markley Blue Steel 10s for my Jaguars. Everything else sounds too bright.
I'd be interested in trying flatwounds but my understanding is I'd want to go up in size and have to file the nut. Is that right?

I think it depends? I usually use GHS boomer 10s which have 52s for the low E, the 11 flat wounds I just put on have a 49 low E, I don't think there is a tremendous difference across all of em. I haven't noticed any setup issues switching between the two.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby OddKnowledge » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:03 pm

ck3 wrote:Interesting to see the number of ILF members using D'addario light top heavy bottom (LTHB) 10's. Do most of you drop tune? If so, how low are you able to go with LTHB 10's?

its more comfortable for my fingers and i dig the sound. most often, i'm playing in standard with a capo on the 2nd fret.
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

Postby hbombgraphics » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:32 am

ernie ball 10-52 on everything
acoustic and electric
acoustic is the earthwood 80/20 rocknblues ones unwound G yo
electric I think is skinny top heavy bottom slinky

I have tried others and I always come back to these,
they just feel right
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:12 pm

DR Tite-Fit 11s on most of my guitars, but I put 10s on my strats because I bought one set up like that and decided I prefer that guitar with that gauge.

Curt Mangan nickel wound 10s sound great and have a crazy amount of longevity, in my experience.

Used D'Addario XLs in various flavors over the years as well, never had a problem.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:10 pm

I splurged on some thomastik infelds a while ago, I got the pack for 17 dollars. I think they might even be worth it. They feel markedly different than daddarios and GHS that I'd used in the past all the time, they are springier and snappier and just have a better feel overall, when you pick up the string in you hand it behaves differently, it flops about and they are much more supple, and that snappiness when you play is still there months later. Usually with GHS they are really bright and snappy for 2 weeks and then they get dull and lose all their sproing. The Thomastiks are less bright but very even keeled EQ wise. Really nice strings. Legit.
I've also had a couple packs of Daddario half/rounds which are kind of a halfway point between rounds and flatwounds, they are really nice too.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 am

thamstiks are great, especially. if you've been using boomers and regular old d'addarios. those are pretty much bottom of the barrel along with ernie ball. maybe those new nyxl strings from d'addario are decent but i feel that d'addario strings just feel off. like i said in my first response. dr and dunlop are the best cheap options for good strings.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 am

The NY things aren't bad...just not worth $12 a pop.

I got some during their test - they lasted longer with my "use stainless everything" chemistry than most strings by far, but....I still like my beater Fender stainless 10s just fine!
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Andrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:11 am

Still rocking the D'Addarios all day

10-52 Drop C
10-59 A#/Drop G#
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:30 am

waltdogg wrote:thamstiks are great, especially. if you've been using boomers and regular old d'addarios. those are pretty much bottom of the barrel along with ernie ball. maybe those new nyxl strings from d'addario are decent but i feel that d'addario strings just feel off. like i said in my first response. dr and dunlop are the best cheap options for good strings.

I like GHS Boomers a lot for the first 2 weeks, then they get kinda dead, but they are like 3.50 a pack in bulk so its not bad to just replace them every couple of weeks. Ha! Imo DR are the worst. They feel super stiff out of the pack and start corroding after a day.

I haven't bought ernie ball in a long time, I remember they would break a lot.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cantremember » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 am

I'm rocking DR 13-65 on my SG and DR 12-60 on my etc. I really like the consistency of DR strings so far.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear