Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Dandolin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:59 pm

I'll be usin' a Korg Volca psu - it's pretty solid. The psu that comes with a Ring Worm would work too, haha....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:46 pm

This thing has been up on reverbs for 2 yeeeeears? :idk:
From the Syle (now / was Holowon Industries). This pedal is a lo-fi ring modulator with a square wave carrier oscillator and and square wave lfo for modulating the carrier frequency. As with most ring mods, you can achieve tremolo-type effects when the lfo is set to low frequencies.

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:44 am

2 YEARS?

Yeah, that's sus.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:06 pm

A little expensive maybe, but I dig the red printing on this one:

https://reverb.com/item/30328699-electr ... -rams-head

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:59 pm

yass :love:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm

The syle is suspect because the dudes description is like "the guy who made this is a dick, if it breaks don't contact him yah yah.. "
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:21 pm

seller of The Syle wrote:I will make a demo of the pedal if someone is interested enough.

Someone should ask that dude to do a demo. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:13 pm

I feel like lordgalvar had something cogent to say about that Syle jawn a while back? :idk:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:17 pm

I have the Holowan Thermal Wave. If not the same, it's probably pretty similar. And similar to Recovery Motormatic, LAL Tone Mosiaque, or Seppuku Hysteresis. It's got volume on tap though (unlike the seppuku and LAL). Envelope control over frequency like LAL. Squarewave LFO that gets pretty slow and choppy to the point of no signal passing for a pretty significant amount of time. They are Logic IC/PLLexploits (like CD4xxxx) with no bipolar vca (like ad633, transistor based) or diode ring which is why the signal cuts during the negative part of the osc/LFO.

It's a fun pedal. Don't open it. Biggest wad of melted electrical tape and free floating boards ever. There were at least two perf boards I dug out before I gave up because my hands were covered in melted black grease glue.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:38 pm

:)* that was it :thumb:
:lol: about opening it up :lol:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:18 am

https://vimeo.com/125058459

Yea, I hadn't seen a mess like that since I ruined white shag carpet with the years of mystery (and degraded foam) inside a concertmate mg-1.

-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:24 pm

:lol:

Apparently, this's the first Space Ring ever made (and it can be yours for the low, low price of $700 + Free Shipping):

https://reverb.com/item/30421651-death- ... -ring-pink

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am

I'm really digging the ring mods inside the Line6 HX Stomp a lot!
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 am

:thumb: do tell
I haven't really drilled down on the HX Stomp, but I remember the ringmod/frequency mod from the MM4/M5. The ability to map parameters to expression control was nice. Does the HX add anything notable to the mix, like SSB, tunable oscillators, assignable lfos, filters and such? Actually, HX allows effects chaining, right? Can you implement a crossover to run a different ring/freq mod on separate eq chunks? Or daisy chain multiple ringmods?

Personally, I love the sound of my diode ring and transistor/opamp ring mods, but I'm definitely curious about what can be implemented digitally with some imagination/horsepower in the control/routing areas....
:snax:

then, of course, there's digitally controlled analog, of which there are a few...(come back to analog, Chase Bliss :poke: - Spectre needs a friend).
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:06 pm

To your questions:
HX allows effects chaining, right?

Yes, max chains of 6 FXs

Can you implement a crossover to run a different ring/freq mod on separate eq chunks?

I'm not sure, I need to check the manual about this.

Or daisy chain multiple ringmods?

Yes you can! I didn't try this but you could create a patch with a chain of 6 RM!

In the HX, beside the old (legacy, M-Series) Ring Mod and Freq. Shift you have these 2 new ring mod FXs:

- AM Ring Mod: a ring modulator to which you can apply a AM modulation. To the AM you can further apply an LFO (which can be synced to tap tempo/Midi clock)

- Pitch Ring Mod: this ring mod (monophonically) tracks what you plays, so that the FX is in tune (a bit like the Subdecay Vitruvian Mod, so you can create those fat ring mod octave down type of sounds, for example), you can shift the RM by octaves (+/-3 if I remeber well) and fine tune it to your likings. (this after a reverb or delay is pure glitchiness madness!)
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear