Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Dandolin » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:43 pm

coolness! :)*
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:33 pm

gila_crisis wrote:In the HX, beside the old (legacy, M-Series) Ring Mod and Freq. Shift you have these 2 new ring mod FXs:

- AM Ring Mod: a ring modulator to which you can apply a AM modulation. To the AM you can further apply an LFO (which can be synced to tap tempo/Midi clock)

- Pitch Ring Mod: this ring mod (monophonically) tracks what you plays, so that the FX is in tune (a bit like the Subdecay Vitruvian Mod, so you can create those fat ring mod octave down type of sounds, for example), you can shift the RM by octaves (+/-3 if I remeber well) and fine tune it to your likings. (this after a reverb or delay is pure glitchiness madness!)

Super-intrigued by those, do they track well with "fast" playing too?

Ring-mod speaking i'm quite settled with the Bitquest Ringmod, i use it in that mode 99% of the time, and it does just sound great and super clean, but i would love to hear some different tweaks from the digital realm.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:08 pm

@gila - I am also intrigued now. Can you please talk more about this? I don't have specific questions. I want to know things you do, things you think you want to do, things you think you could do, and things that scare you.... all regarding the HX Ring Mods.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:26 am

$harkToootth wrote:Image

I love Matango!!!!
The Ring Modulators in the HX stomp are really great!
The Pitch Ring Mod tracks really well, I didn't tried it yet with super fast speeds, but with single notes works really well.

And with 4 types of RM to choose from, you have really a lot to play/experiment with! Maybe a demo video would tell you more, about what these can do.

I find it's a bit of a shame, Line6 didn't provide a manual including an in depth description all FX parameters (like the used back then with the M-Series), so I discovered a lot while using the unit and testing it out. Also a cool feature these RM is that on most of them you have a HP/LP filter, so these lets you cut all the unwanter low or high end.

In general the HX Stomp is a really powerfull machine/tool. In short think of it like a Zoom Multistomp, but with high-end FXs inside (in the like of Strymon, Eventide, Meris, etc...) and super powerful, fully user configurable routing/switching.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 pm

How ever did I miss this video?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:40 pm

i wish all demos were in gundam attire
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:57 pm

Haven't heard this yet, but I'm interested:

TRING Tremolo / Ring Modulator.
Slow to VERY fast tremolo and Ring Modulation. Sine or Sawtooth waveforms. Fast Med Low toggle and panel Null knob with Mix, Speed and Volume adjustment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6CQJeKH_wE/

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:05 pm

:eek: whoa!

Null knob? :snax: :snax: :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:46 pm

I had a Green Ringer clone many moons ago with a null switch, which didn't seem to noticeably alter the signal. Wonder if the Basic Audio unit's knob serves the same function and curious what it might actually be in technical terms.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:41 pm

My guess is that "null" is a balance of sorts that*, when set in a dead-on-balls position for your current temperature, humidity, and lighting, will completely negate any carrier bleed from spilling over into the output.

So, not something to chuff your jets in terms of wow factor while you're playing/listening, but something that will make life a warmer experience while the rest of your signal chain is in shut-the-fuck-up mode.

(* if actually an effective implementation)
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am

Yeah, Curtis, I think you're right.

This's what John wrote about it on Instagram: "...You tune out the ring. "Null" it out with this knob. I put it on the top because depending on the frequency the null point shifts a little. And who knows, you might want some ring in there for something…"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6CQJeKH_wE/
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby chromandre » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:59 am

ck3 wrote:I had a Green Ringer clone many moons ago with a null switch, which didn't seem to noticeably alter the signal. Wonder if the Basic Audio unit's knob serves the same function and curious what it might actually be in technical terms.

I think in the case of the green ringer the "null" mod is an extra adjustment to get the most apparent octave but if you used high tolerance or matched parts you might not even need the adjustment.
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:58 pm

gila_crisis wrote:In the HX, beside the old (legacy, M-Series) Ring Mod and Freq. Shift you have these 2 new ring mod FXs:

- AM Ring Mod: a ring modulator to which you can apply a AM modulation. To the AM you can further apply an LFO (which can be synced to tap tempo/Midi clock)

So you get a tremolo on top of the ring modulation? Ring modulation is amplitude modulation (just a specific instance of it). Or can the amplitude be controlled with like an envelope filter like a slow gear too? Tremolo on carrier? If any is the case (except trem on carrier), I don't think it would be hard to replicate on a zoom mfx. I'm just curious what it actually does or of I'm understanding correctly.

On the pitch one, can you set the carrier range/offset? Like if I want the carrier in the 10khz+ range, but in tune, will it do that? What are the carrier ranges overall?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby CBA » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Hey ring-nuts.

What size enclosure is a Randy's Revenge in? 1590BB or 1700CC or 18,000GG or what ever the fuck those are.

Thonk!
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:33 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6tUANWHPNM/

That's like the Motormatic, holowon, etc. Pretty cool. I like Doug's simple take.

Iirc, Randy is the same size the Lastgasp big pedals (Misty cave etc). Don't know if that helps. It might be a little taller than those. I never remember those size names.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear