Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator mass

Postby shikawkee » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 am

Cody_Pole wrote:
shikawkee wrote:
Cody_Pole wrote:Anybody snag a Ringbringer yet? I've got one on the way and was curious on some folks thoughts :)

It's excellent and I'm glad I bought it but it would be silly not to get a Radius if you need only one.

The Radius does much more and is DEEP.

:thumb: :hug:

Radius looks awesome and I love red panda stuff but often don't use a 10th of the pedals potential :(

I get that. However, the Ringer Bringer is really basic compared to the Radius but you can also do fairly simple stuff with the Radius if you wish.
I like having both. Being able to send, say, a Random Tone Generator into the carrier input or mix input of the RB is very, very cool and I used to do that with my Moog.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Cody_Pole » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:51 pm

shikawkee wrote:
Cody_Pole wrote:
shikawkee wrote:
Cody_Pole wrote:Anybody snag a Ringbringer yet? I've got one on the way and was curious on some folks thoughts :)

It's excellent and I'm glad I bought it but it would be silly not to get a Radius if you need only one.

The Radius does much more and is DEEP.

:thumb: :hug:

Radius looks awesome and I love red panda stuff but often don't use a 10th of the pedals potential :(

I get that. However, the Ringer Bringer is really basic compared to the Radius but you can also do fairly simple stuff with the Radius if you wish.
I like having both. Being able to send, say, a Random Tone Generator into the carrier input or mix input of the RB is very, very cool and I used to do that with my Moog.

I watched a Mark Johnston vid on youtube and it pretty much summed up how I'd use the ringbringer as far as with and without an expression pedal my caveman brain is still leaning towards the Ringerbringer, I've also had a Moog Ring Mod which the bringer is based on so it will also be nice to revisit some things I enjoyed about the OG :p
Deflating Expectations.

Good Dudes: blooghost,bob the robot,Jero,dorfmeister,modernage,oneloudrash,noisemaker effects,vidarr,rosscanyonsofstatic,inertia,communarchy,kosta,culturejam,zzz,actionindex, dorfmeister,pumpkin pieces,monkeyboy,nieh,sweetbabyphil,D.O.S and corrinica !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cody_Pole

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:45 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby le lambin » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:33 am

shikawkee wrote: Being able to send, say, a Random Tone Generator into the carrier input or mix input of the RB is very, very cool and I used to do that with my Moog.

The carrier in is the highlight of the mf-102, imo. I like sending the output of an iPad into it and messing around- great results with sending drum breaks, droney synth pads, tv interviews, etc. You could even use a ringerbringer review video as the carrier and achieve meta ring modulation.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:16 am

:lol: :thumb: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:04 am

Got a ringerbringer a couple weeks ago.

A very fine piece of kit (and my third WA pedal now, enough to make me redo my "small board" (my dick around the house board versus the "kill the world setup in the studio/shop, which especiallly in winter I'm too lazy to walk the 50 yards to get to!)

==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:47 am

:thumb:

Pest Tattern! :love:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:51 am

Chankgeez wrote::thumb:

Pest Tattern! :love:

It's the only "fuzz" on my tiny board, but...it'll do. Given the amount of sound mangling shit on there, I could proably live with just the tiny fuckaround board forever,but...I don't have to!
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:42 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

le lambin wrote:
shikawkee wrote: Being able to send, say, a Random Tone Generator into the carrier input or mix input of the RB is very, very cool and I used to do that with my Moog.

The carrier in is the highlight of the mf-102, imo. I like sending the output of an iPad into it and messing around- great results with sending drum breaks, droney synth pads, tv interviews, etc. You could even use a ringerbringer review video as the carrier and achieve meta ring modulation.

you could use this as a carrier
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

:lol:

Also, apparently, new limited run Mycelium comin' soon:

https://www.wilsoneffects.com/mycelium

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 pm

:thumb:

He doesnt make in in a wah pedal enclosure?
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:37 pm

Don't think so. That's got an input for expression though.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Phosphene Audio » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:29 pm

I had a EH Ring Thing for the longest time, but I recently got rid of a bunch of gear I didn't use that much and bought a Radius with some of the proceeds. So far, I like it a lot. I had an old Moogerfooger, but I like having options other than square and sine for modulation. I also found with the Ring Thing that I often liked using it as a frequency shifter as opposed to pure ring mod, so the Radius works for that.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby le lambin » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:21 pm

I recently had the pleasure of playing two new to me ring modulators- the Adventure Audio Outer Rings and Pladask Elektrisk Feber- and comparing them to my trusty MF-102. Here are my thoughts:

First, to anyone who has not played a MF-102, it’s my favorite ring mod forever. It’s my baseline because I know it intimately, and because it has a beautiful, clean, 3 dimensional sound that I have yet to experience elsewhere.

Feber: This thing sounds fantastic and has many controls that interact beautifully with eachother. I’ve only played one other Pladask pedal, Taken, but the Feber shares a similar attention to detail in terms of circuit design. Nearly every setting sounds very musical and fun to play- a lot of love went into making this thing, and it shows.

I love the low/high band knob- it isolates some frequency bands that sound very bouncy and resonant, particularly on the low band side. The ability to get some phase-y sounds is cool. The feedback control is very interesting and fun to use. The S+H modulation is cool at slow settings. At fast settings it sounds like every other S+H out there.

I think the MF-102 sounds better, but the Feber still has a very good, tamed core ring mod sound, and it’s a lot smaller and has some unique features. The experience of playing it is pleasant -the controls have range but are easy to understand, and most importantly, fun to play with. I really need to play more Pladask stuff.

Outer Rings: maybe the complete opposite of Feber. Noisy, distorted, dissonant. Even at “clean” settings this thing is intentionally harsh sounding. Its core tone reminds me a lot of the DBA Space Ring- I’ve never played an original but own a Deadend FX copy, and it has a similar noisy, atonal wild character. The Space Ring is a ring modulator modulating a ring modulator- the Outer Rings similarly has some kind of modulation controlling the carrier frequency (and maybe other stuff- it’s hard to tell by listening!)

What sets the Outer Rings apart from the Space Ring is its depth of modulation options. The two switches labeled “outer” and “rings” change the modulation speed- it sounds to me like one changes the carrier range, and the other changes the modulation range. I found it best to just flip the toggles hither and thither until I found something cool- the overall sound is so chaotic it’s hard to be intentional with the controls.

Finally, there is a feedback footswitch which produces, in my opinion, the coolest results. All kinds of weird pulses and shrieks you would expect from a feedback loop are here, and it interacts beautifully with incoming signals.

I’m not even going to compare it to the MF-102- the design intent on the Outer Rings is too far removed from the MF-102.

I’m definitely not a noise musician- I usually don’t like this kind of sound, but there is something magical about running a vanilla drum machine into the Outer Rings and turning the feedback on, and twiddling knobs. So many really cool interactions with the feedback- this is this pedal’s strength, and what sets it apart from other ring mods I’ve tried.
le lambin

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear