Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby ck3 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:12 pm

A Pigtronix Ringmaster arrived earlier today. I had an hour or so to do some tinkering with it placed in my amp's effects loop. Per the usual protocol, I did so without reading a manual and was eventually able to deduce how the knobs and switches interact. So far, it seems muffled, overly clippy, and and meh aside from hypnotic glitchiness and synth-like textures possible when engaging the intelligent, LFO, and sample hold ring modulation modes. The tremolo seems pretty weak and unwieldy compared to other options on hand, but may just need to be tweaked better. There is also the distinct possibility the pedal may sound better in front of my amp, though I can already tell that the included power supply will generate a noticeable amount of unwanted noise. More experimentation is in order before rendering a final verdict.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:23 pm

Blast it second in your chain with a good boost and see if that makes it go bananas.. pigtronix make a good stuff typically.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eyobeez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 am

Today's my day off for the week, and I'm like this close to ordering a Subdecay Vitruvian Mod.
eyobeez

involved
involved

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:03 pm

ck3 wrote:A Pigtronix Ringmaster arrived earlier today. I had an hour or so to do some tinkering with it placed in my amp's effects loop. Per the usual protocol, I did so without reading a manual and was eventually able to deduce how the knobs and switches interact. So far, it seems muffled, overly clippy, and and meh aside from hypnotic glitchiness and synth-like textures possible when engaging the intelligent, LFO, and sample hold ring modulation modes. The tremolo seems pretty weak and unwieldy compared to other options on hand, but may just need to be tweaked better. There is also the distinct possibility the pedal may sound better in front of my amp, though I can already tell that the included power supply will generate a noticeable amount of unwanted noise. More experimentation is in order before rendering a final verdict.

Just to get this out of the way: I don't really blend ring mods...it's almost always full wet...so most things I say are from that base point.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at with the mixer on the pedal...it's kind of hard to dial in. I had it set well when just plugging strait in, then put a fuzz in front and I ran out of time trying to find a gain sweet spot. I think it clips too much with the gain so that it can square it off for the tracking stuff. It's four controls if I remember correctly (kinda), which is kind of a pain...you have to match the volume of the sine carrier to the source audio.

Because the carrier is a sweepable sine-square with harmonic distortion, it is possible it can kind of cancel/saturate/sound weird with overly distorted signals going in (like overdriving the front end gain). The harmonics get kinda fiddly and can interfere with the perception and output signal in the final blend...which is why I can be kind of trying to adjust one parameter and then readjust everything for balance. The more harmonic or loud one signal is in relation to the other, can really change the result. It's part of the reason a lot of ring mods stay with simpler, less harmonic waves.

The tremolo has been great to me. I like it better than Randy and the Moog, but not as much as the noah'sark. The high end frequencies aren't my favorite (much prefer a ton of others), but they are functional (don't dig them as much tracking...because that's not what I'm doing haha). I kind of like the tracking on the subdecay for high pitched stuff better too...it adds some fun wobbles and stuff.

I think your effects loop is probably too hot. Did you try a volume pedal before? (Other ideas that may help tame it it an effects loop or after gain: static bandpass filter, eq, limiter)

Overall, I like the pedal. I like having the dynamic tremolo and it's fun. It's just really touchy.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm

:snax: looking forward to trying this one....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:01 pm

lordgalvar wrote: I like it better than Randy and the Moog...

Two of the best ring mod/trems right there. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ck3 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Many thanks to betteroffshred and lordgalvar for suggestions regarding how to get better results with the Pigtronix Ringmaster.

It definitely seems more like a front-of-amp pedal, though, as I feared, the included power supply is crap and generates excessive buzzing when my amp's gain channel is engaged. Also, there is always crackly clipping present regardless of the source and input/output settings, which is tolerable with ring modulation, but makes the tremolo unusable. Everything else in the amp input signal chain is true bypass, and I'm using a Triplite isolated 8 outlet power strip and isolated power bricks or batteries for other pedals. I wonder if the unit I recieved is defective, or maybe certain settings need to be balanced better.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
lordgalvar wrote: I like it better than Randy and the Moog...

Two of the best ring mod/trems right there. :snax:

I won't say it's because of the sound...it just accomplishes something I've always wanted...trem speed controlled by playing by not by envelope (have a could of those and I like them).

Still think there are better sound ring mods overall, I just like that feature. The Moog, RMA, old LAL, old EHX, and Randy (among others) are better overall to me (was only in reference to slow speeds). The noah'sark has something magic though.

Ck3 power supply anecdotes
NSFW: show
I can tell ya after chasing various noise problems...the power adapter thing is a crap shoot. With my eurorack, I supposedly had "high" quality ones...but they were noisy until I switched them with the ones everyone said was bad...nothing would tune, noise was higher than actual waves, etc. I've also had some issues mixing wall warts with isolated supplies and sometimes not. I think it more has to do with the power in the building and grid (you can tell in LA when it gets hot because noise floor rises...the voltage dropped).

Chankgeez had a whole thread about chasing noise issues in his place.

I have to find a circuit with nothing on it for best results (no appliances, computers, etc) and sometimes try it with a lamp on or off (sometimes a lamp will cut the noise if on!). Also, no more than 4 pedals (even if true bypass) here due to noise buildup/treble loss...usually just run fuzz/dist and ring mod...maybe some time based something. I have a humx thing that worked on a few things, but overall it's just a low risk, low probability saving throw. My pedals have liked the voodoo labs or cioks pretty well...not so much the old pedal power one that came built into the board.

My old studio was even worse! I would get oscillations in my amp from a keyboard across the room haha.

The crackle...I dunno. I haven't noticed anything here. Try it alone and if it persists, send it back defective.

I just ran in there and played it...I think sometimes the pop is the lfo taking dominance of the signal. The distortion on the carrier is pretty neat/weird sometimes because it can kinda sit under the signal with the clean chirp of the guitar catching the ear more over the top. I did replicate some popping though and my guess is that the carrier on square is changing too fast and kind of moving the speaker from one state to another (I remember reading years ago that some synth designers made their squares slight trapezoids to prevent the popping sound). The crackle could also be the gain on the carrier...or it could be broke. :idk:
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby alexsga » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 pm

eyobeez wrote:Today's my day off for the week, and I'm like this close to ordering a Subdecay Vitruvian Mod.

pm me i'll sell you a used one
alexsga

experienced
experienced

Postby ck3 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:59 pm

The Vitruvian Mod is a solid option and quieter than many of its analog counterparts.

I fed the Ringmaster directly into my amp's front end with no other gear, and still have loads of crusty treble clipping when using the tremolo mode regardless of pedal and guitar settings. Major bummer, especially given the complex rhythms possible by tweaking LFO and tune parameters.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby eyobeez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 pm

alexsga wrote:
eyobeez wrote:Today's my day off for the week, and I'm like this close to ordering a Subdecay Vitruvian Mod.

What version do you have?

Can it clang with the best of em?
eyobeez

involved
involved

Postby alexsga » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:08 pm

eyobeez wrote:
alexsga wrote:

What version do you have?

Can it clang with the best of em?

v2

yes! but it also has FM-style tracking capabilities :joy:
alexsga

experienced
experienced

Postby eyobeez » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 am

Fuck. If I were you, I'd expect a message from me this afternoon.
eyobeez

involved
involved

Postby alexsga » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 pm

:joy:
alexsga

experienced
experienced

Postby ck3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 pm

Based on demo vids, it seems the Ringmaster is actually behaving normally. I suppose expecting a clean tremolo sound from a ring modulator is kind of like wanting a Big Muff to chime like a Klon. Either way, the more fuzzy/square trem tones are fantastic and its inherent synthiness ultimately makes it a keeper, though I'll need to find a quieter power supply.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear