Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby retinal orbita » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Damn I can't find any of my usual pedal places (in Canada) selling one. I'd be tempted!

BUT

Not tempted enough to pay duty.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:39 am

Joined the Ring Mod club.

Got a Hax2 a while back. A little noisy but lots of cool sounds/textures/filter sounds.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 pm

odontophobia wrote:Joined the Ring Mod club.

Got a Hax2 a while back. A little noisy but lots of cool sounds/textures/filter sounds.

ONE OF US!!!!
Side Note: If I reference this movie... an I not 'woke' anymore?
O-phob -> HAX2 sounded really good to me. Having the switchable filter (that also sounded) great was an added bonus. I almost bought Echorec's a couple months ago... I can't remember "why" I didn't actually get it but it wasn't cause of the sounds. Hope it works with your set up m8.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:48 am

Someone offered me a gonkulator (reissue) for a trade.
I have been quite intrigued by it but never enough to grab one because I read that's very dirt and its range is limited. I use ring mods for quite clean bell-sounds (or extreme atonal madness fwiw), but the thing that makes me hesitate the most is the lack of clean blend.
Could I make it work also with clean/low gain sounds without losing too much freq range?

(side note, It would be for about a 90€ trade, not sure how much this things usually go for)
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:47 am

The Gonk is not clean, chimey or quiet - it lacks an expression control for the frequency - however you can blend in the amount of ring mod, with the dirt. Just not the amount of effect into your signal. Am I right on that? I was using it with my noisecore band I’m not playing with any more so it’s been off my board for a few months.

However it is a mighty fun effect and I love mine and it’s never on the flip pile.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Just not the amount of effect into your signal.

that's what makes me hesitate, think i'll hold up and save for something more useful for my current needs but it's definitely staying in my list of "sooner or laterz", thanks!
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Yeah it's not clean at all, and it's a sub-par ring mod at that. That being said it's incredibly fun for what it is, but you won't be doing any chimes with it
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:06 am

13.1 Frequency or Spectrum Shifting with Rob Hordijk (Benjolin/Rungling dude) https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmo ... shift.html

Only the five frequency bands where the center frequencies are exactly 90 degrees out of phase get shifted by the required amounts, and the places in the spectrum where the phaseshifts do not match seem to come through slightly ringmodulated, which produces a tremolo with only minor shifts, giving some strange eerie phasing to sounds.

A nice description of how this circuit works is given in the article "An Efficient, Precise Frequency Shifter", by Jens Groh, in the CSound Magazine, summer 2000 issue. Unlike the spectrum shifting method described earlier, this approach does not need any phase shifting filters, but it needs four ringmodulators instead of two, and two quadrature oscillators instead of one. In Tim Walters' patch the quadrature oscillators were implemented with two LFOs, where the phases of the LFOs are adjusted to be 90 degrees apart.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Might be making a trade for a pigtronix ringmaster. Seems like there’s a ton of versatility to it and it’s a straight trade for something I don’t use so it’s no issue as I’m sure I could flip it. Any thoughts from the ring people?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 am

lordgalvar wrote:13.1 Frequency or Spectrum Shifting with Rob Hordijk (Benjolin/Rungling dude) https://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmo ... shift.html

Only the five frequency bands where the center frequencies are exactly 90 degrees out of phase get shifted by the required amounts, and the places in the spectrum where the phaseshifts do not match seem to come through slightly ringmodulated, which produces a tremolo with only minor shifts, giving some strange eerie phasing to sounds.

A nice description of how this circuit works is given in the article "An Efficient, Precise Frequency Shifter", by Jens Groh, in the CSound Magazine, summer 2000 issue. Unlike the spectrum shifting method described earlier, this approach does not need any phase shifting filters, but it needs four ringmodulators instead of two, and two quadrature oscillators instead of one. In Tim Walters' patch the quadrature oscillators were implemented with two LFOs, where the phases of the LFOs are adjusted to be 90 degrees apart.

That is like one of my favourite websites ever
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm

Had thing thing plugged in for 10 minutes and I friggin' LOVE IT.

Square wave sounds amazing, tons of fucking kooky weird sounds you're able to coax out of this thing and I've barely scratched the surface. Cool "traditional" ring mod sounds and a ton of other stuff. I haven't really messed around with the trem or sample and hold settings but the "intelligent" ring mod and nasty ass square wave have already made this a fan favorite.

I however do not care for the 18v 300ma adapter - can this thing be powered by a PP2?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm

don't know the answer re: power. if anybody made an isolated 18v power brick i would hop on it bc my love for ringmod and vintage flange etc. could put multiple taps to use....

it's definitely a keeper - lots of interesting trem sounds to be had too.... :)*
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Cooks dc7
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Dandolin wrote:it's definitely a keeper - lots of interesting trem sounds to be had too.... :)*

I’ve had tons of fun with it today - the trem, the follow - very different than any other ring mod. I don’t see much use for the sample and hold in my “day to day affairs” but everything else is top notch. And me! Willing to use the “courtesy port” on a PP2? Damn this thing must be hottttttttt!!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:15 pm

I've been able to power my Ringmaster using the 100ma 18V port on a One Spot CS7. The included power supply seemed cheap and noisy.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear