Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:36 pm

Nice work sharky - the Ringmaster is hella sick. I haven’t played around with mine a lot yet but it’s really cool - minus the 18v adapter!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:16 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Nice work sharky - the Ringmaster is hella sick. I haven’t played around with mine a lot yet but it’s really cool - minus the 18v adapter!

I think I'm doing the RETINAL ORBITA set up with it. DOD Death Metal into it.
A Digitech HYPERPHASE is calling my name on reverb too.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:30 am

$harkToootth wrote:Zagged to the bone... I can live with paying this price for this. Deal of the day + Open Box Promo + Some other imaginary promo? Final price was $109.77.
[img]
Special thanks to Gone Fission for enlightening me on these deals.
Dandolin and I just have to wait for the resotron to get that low now.

No problem. Just someone please explain how the heck to use it as a trem, because I cannot get that vibing right.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Also interested in insights regarding the Ringmaster as a trem. It always seems clippy/overdriven to me no matter how parameters are set. Outside of synthy ringfuzz tones with an odd attack envelope and sending CV signals, I'm not finding much of a use for it with guitar.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:44 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Zagged to the bone... I can live with paying this price for this. Deal of the day + Open Box Promo + Some other imaginary promo? Final price was $109.77.
Special thanks to Gone Fission for enlightening me on these deals.
Dandolin and I just have to wait for the resotron to get that low now.

Really curious on your thoughts. I LOVE my mothership2 (but I use it mostly for synth siren screams with expression to give me an almost R2D2 talking voicing). I despise everything about the current draw, but somehow have it running on a fairly low mA draw from my power supply with no issues.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm

cosmicevan wrote:… with expression to give me an almost R2D2 talking voicing).

That's what I sometimes used my Moog MF-102 for. :lol: :dance: :ewok: :dance:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 pm

cosmicevan wrote:Really curious on your thoughts. I LOVE my mothership2 (but I use it mostly for synth siren screams with expression to give me an almost R2D2 talking voicing). I despise everything about the current draw, but somehow have it running on a fairly low mA draw from my power supply with no issues.

Trying it out tomorrow. It only came in yesterday and I've been doing that thing I do where I work like a million jobs and work way too much... blah blah blah it's a bit!!!!
If I can get a resotron and Mothership2 for around the same price... I probably get them. Right off the bat... build quality is great. I should have read a bit more, I thought it had CV in... it does not, just out. What it does have, that is exciting is, a carrier in!!!! We might be going "poor man phase distortion synthesis" with this guy.

MS2 appeals to me because of the triangle wave. I don't know. Looks cool to me. I was bitching to Olin that the ring mod came in the most obnoxious box but... turns out they give you a power supply! Super handy for the 18 DC devices.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 pm

cosmicevan wrote:Really curious on your thoughts. I LOVE my mothership2 (but I use it mostly for synth siren screams with expression to give me an almost R2D2 talking voicing). I despise everything about the current draw, but somehow have it running on a fairly low mA draw from my power supply with no issues.

Trying it out tomorrow. It only came in yesterday and I've been doing that thing I do where I work like a million jobs and work way too much... blah blah blah it's a bit!!!!
If I can get a resotron and Mothership2 for around the same price... I probably get them. Right off the bat... build quality is great. I should have read a bit more, I thought it had CV in... it does not, just out. What it does have, that is exciting is, a carrier in!!!! We might be going "poor man phase distortion synthesis" with this guy.

MS2 appeals to me because of the triangle wave. I don't know. Looks cool to me. I was bitching to Olin that the ring mod came in the most obnoxious box but... turns out they give you a power supply! Super handy for the 18 DC devices.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Apparently, includes "on the left is a ing modulator which is a mod of the old Jen Ring mod."

https://reverb.com/item/31999120-rustbe ... tch-purple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4uaD2PyAOU
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:54 pm

have yinz chackinated this yet?
(jump to 2:30 for the freqshiftin')
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:56 pm

:thumb: :love:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Sounds great! Like some of those delay/feedback sounds. Happy Needing always makes quality stuff. FMAID is a blast.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby retinal orbita » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:23 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Nice work sharky - the Ringmaster is hella sick. I haven’t played around with mine a lot yet but it’s really cool - minus the 18v adapter!

I think I'm doing the RETINAL ORBITA set up with it. DOD Death Metal into it.
A Digitech HYPERPHASE is calling my name on reverb too.

I haven’t really been playing much lately - put a few pedals on Craigslist and the Ringmaster was one of them - “how many ring mods do I need?” (at least 5?) and decided to fuck around with it today - glad I did because I’m really having a blast with it. Ran my HM-2 XIX clone into it and really had some fun in my horrible basement. tldr, almost sold, took ad down.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:30 am

In case anyone's interested, here's a V1 Randy's Revenge for sale:

https://reverb.com/item/32383128-fairfi ... -modulator
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:22 am

I've jumped into this Radio-Bright ring mod/delay by Deepspace Devices, did you know about it?

gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear