Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Dandolin » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 am

Yeah--that thing interests me. Not sure I've heard that killer app that ignites my personal GAS yet, but I remain curious to hear what folks come up with. :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:06 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Yoink!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:52 pm

I bought a cheapass planetoid too since the price was undeniable.. couple new ring mods never hurt!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:52 am

Planetoid > Android. The filter on the planetoid works well. I like it on drums.

The Robotuum was a good upgrade to the Android. I like the Android too especially at the prices they go for these days.
Last edited by lordgalvar on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:06 am

That's cool man, thanks for the insight. I'm excited to get them. I like a good ring mod for effects loops and high quality bleep bloop.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Yeah man these are good ring mods. The planetoid likes being boosted for sure, but the filter is really cool. I kind of always "tune" my carrier to what I'm playing, and then tuning the filter you get some neat resonance.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jondom22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

I’m trying to replace my EHX Ring Thing (which I love), with a pitch fork and a ring mod/bit crusher pedal. Really intrigued by the Dr. Scientist Bitquest. How are the ring mod sounds on it, and how tunable is it?
jondom22

involved
involved

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:51 am

You're loosing the single sideband modulation , sweepable waveshape, and tuning feature but gaining a better gain sound, some fun options, and all the other effects.

What do you use it for? Do you need a semi-auto tuning feature (pigtronix ring master is a compact alternative)? Do you need the single sideband modulation (Alexander syntax error is a compact alternative)?

Bitquest! is fine. Not too much range but easy enough to find good sounds. The preamp/gain adds enough character over anything that ring thing does really to me (I don't like ring thing personally, I'd rather have the gain of the bitquest). If I remember correctly, the bitquest carrier doesn't go as high or low frequency as a lot of others. I feel like the total range is somewhat similar to the ring thing though but doesn't go nearly as high as the frequency analyzer (for an EHX reference).

If you want a straight ring mod there are ton of great options. It's all about what you want out of it and how you intend to use it.

As for ring mod/bit crusher combo...you could look at zoom multistomp too. They have some great other effects stuffed in there (like a slicer which may interest you).
Last edited by lordgalvar on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby jondom22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

lordgalvar wrote:You're loosing the single sideband modulation , sweepable waveshape, and tuning feature but gaining a better preamp, some fun options, and all the other effects.

What do you use it for? Do you need a semi-auto tuning feature (pigtronix ring master is a compact alternative)? Do you need the single sideband modulation (Alexander syntax error is a compact alternative)?

Bitquest! is fine. Not too much range but easy enough to find good sounds. The preamp/gain kills anything that ring thing does really (I don't like ring thing personally). If I remember correctly, the bitquest carrier doesn't go as high or low frequency as a lot of others. I feel like the total range is somewhat similar to the ring thing though but doesn't go nearly as high as the frequency analyzer (for an EHX reference).

If you want a straight ring mod there are ton of great options. It's all about what you want out of it and how you intend to use it.

As for ring mod/bit crusher combo...you could look at zoom multistomp too. They have some great other effects stuffed in there (like a slicer which may interest you).

I use it with my guitar, and use it a lot cos I love playing rhythmic single note patterns that are devoid of traditional melody (imagine as if playing sequenced patterns against Afro-Latin beats but within a noise/punk type of aesthetic). I use it both with a light OD or fuzz in front. My main setting I believe is lower sideband which i think sits in the mix better. I also have a bit-crusher-ish type setting, and an upper band setting (or maybe it’s also lower band but just tuned higher). Other than that, I used the ring thing for pitch shifting (which I’m gonna pick up a pitch fork for instead since it sounds great when I tried it and more versatile in letting you shift to two different pitches simultaneously), and an LFO type preset on the pitch mode which is fun.

The other pedal I’m intrigued over is the randy’s Revenge bc the bell tones sound fantastic on the demos I’ve heard, but it def takes up a lot more real estate on my Pedaltrain jr sized board which is as big as I wanna go cos I live in NYC and schlepping a bigger board on the train sucks.

The things that intrigued me about the bitquest were dedicated ring mod, bit crusher, and filter sweep settings, plus the other modes are kinda bonuses that could be fun, and a very pedalboard friendly size.

Thanks for your input.
jondom22

involved
involved

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Pitchfork with a phaser after may be a passable stand in for single sideband mod (frequency shiftin'), but maybe not. If you have to have frequency shifting, outside of modular/racks, your only options are really Alexander syntax error and ring thing.

It's going to be a trial and error kind of thing. None really have everything (and all of those features aren't ring mod things like tracking/pitch shift ... Which I know is partially solved by the pitch fork).

Bit crusher type sounds can be made with slightly below audio to tremolo speed squarewave carrier. Bitquest, if I remember correctly (it's been a while even though it's sitting on my desk right now), it of the sine/triangle sides of things.

The Moog mf-104, copilot, Randy, and pigtronix have square options. Of course, the bitquest and zoom both have bitcrusher modes.

I still think the zoom is worth a try. It's going to be your call on taste and what you gel with interface wise.

Side note: if you are using lots of settings, the zoom may be better because of presets instead of tuning each time on the bitquest. I think the Alexander has midi too so you could do that and just keep the controller in a front pocket.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:10 pm

What lg said. Curious to hear more about Ring Thing's preamp deficiencies. I haven't really noticed much in that department, but I have only really used it in unchallenging clean-toned setups. :idk:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm

^What he said. :thumb:

I'd prefer a dedicated ring mod to the BitQuest! BitQuest is good in a Swiss Army knife kinda way. Not the first tool I'd choose for a job, but it'll do in a pinch.

Randy's Revenge is pretty nice soundin' all the time. :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Dandolin wrote:What lg said. Curious to hear more about Ring Thing's preamp deficiencies. I haven't really noticed much in that department, but I have only really used it in unchallenging clean-toned setups. :idk:

Not a deficiency really, just the bitquest has better gain stages and all that. Preamp was probably the wrong word. Ring thing just sounds like a clean digital effect. That 'ol character wild card.

I think ring thing just has too many buttons for me. Haha. Went back and clarified what I meant.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:25 pm

I totally get that the Ring wouldn't be your thing :hug: That chrome clinical clang is why I daresay, like, the thing--it has very little overlap with my other ring jawn, and sometimes I'm looking for a nice antiseptic gleaming surface :lol: tbh, though, I'm craving the Monobian onslaught more than that, though. If possible/available, I think I will be moving on that front before the next solstice :doom:

Also: jondom, you might want to check out the Subdecay Vitruvian mod, though it sounds like the tuning modes are not really your main goal.... :idk:
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear