Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Dandolin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:39 pm

I wish mine had the purple, actually--Chankgeez is rubbing off on me, haha. Mine has the blue switches, which do look smart with the red and green leds, so there's that....

Maybe that's why the trem seems so phasy/chewy on the RR v.1 --the blend?

Anyway, [sung in my best Kim Gordon drone] it's not ever going anywhere....

I'm very curious about the v.2 Vitruvian, though I'm starting to get exhausted with upgrading pedals.

I have a question--if I feed the carrier out from the Moog into a Synthrotek or other passive ring mod, can I get the reputed cut/crystal lettuce clarity of the diode ring format with the wiggy flexibility of the Moog control platform? Please tell me it's all Thundercats this Xmas Santa!
Last edited by Dandolin on Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:47 pm

lordgalvar wrote:The blend is different on v1 and v2 of the RR. The v1 always seemed to have hints of original signal in there.

So it wouldn't go full wet? Or do you mean different in another way? I dont think full wet would be a huge issue, but square wave trem full wet is preeitttty nice.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:57 pm

lordgalvar wrote:The blend is different on v1 and v2 of the RR. The v1 always seemed to have hints of original signal in there. The range seem about the same. V1 seemed a little more "warm" but it could have been component variation or just me "warmly" remembering things. There is somebody around here with both....

I've got both. It's been a while since I've done a direct comparison. I've packed the v1 up for moving already. So, I probably won't be able to compare 'em again for a while longer.

The v1 is a little warmer sounding to me. The range is roughly the same, but there's definitely a tad less range on the v1. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:05 pm

kbit wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:The blend is different on v1 and v2 of the RR. The v1 always seemed to have hints of original signal in there.

So it wouldn't go full wet? Or do you mean different in another way? I dont think full wet would be a huge issue, but square wave trem full wet is preeitttty nice.

Yea, it didn't seem to go fully wet as far as I can remember. Seemed like 95% or something extremely close. I seem to remember it standing out more on extreme highs....but Adam/copilot did bring up the point one time that ears pick up different frequencies better than others, so it could have only have stood out because of hearing range.

The carrier and modulator (guitar, whatever signal) seemed to be so well balanced, that probably helps the "warmness" on the v1...they seem to have a bit of compression. If you like super attack, sharp sounds from guitar/bass, RR is a little mushy which can fight that (just a different character, not bad at all...but no extreme ear damage either :cry: ). Chankgeez's memory comp is pretty much what I remember.

Dandolin wrote:

Maybe that's why the rem seems so phasy/chewy on the RR v.1 --the blend?

Anyway, [sung in my best Kim Gordon drone] it's not ever going anywhere....

I have a question--if I feed the carrier out from the Moog into a Synthrotek or other passive ring mod, can I get the reputed cut/crystal lettuse clarity of the diode ring format with the wiggy flexibility of the Moog control platform? Please tell me it's all Thundercats this Xmas Santa!

Yea, the carrier (or LFO) out of the moog into the diode ring will work...might have to attenuate or boost to get it into balance.

I used the master volume on the drum machine and the angel ring to boost the signals into balance in that video. The carrier out of the moog isn't that crazy hot so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

First time I ever got in trouble in school (which was preschool) was when me and other kids played Thundercats. I was Panthro, so I made a cannon for the tank or whatever out of Legos...not supposed to do that. Freaking Mumm-Ra!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Yeah, the RR is a little mushy (I call it "tame & musical"). It's definitely not ear drum shatteringly jarring.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:21 pm

I want a harsh ring mod. What do I want.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks lg!

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:36 pm

D.o.S. wrote:I want a harsh ring mod. What do I want.

Can you wait a few weeks?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:41 pm

:love: :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 pm

Things I would take into consideration: Format (modular, table top, instrument pedal board), Style (IC, transistor, digital, diode, tube, etc), Preamps (headroom, fuzz), Carrier Range, Carrier Waveform, Carrier Input

A Ge diode ring (or vactrol) is going to have the slowest gate close time for the waves creating a more "round" sound. The digital and IC gates are quick and the sound is going to be more "correct". Preamp headroom and balance are going to play a lot into it. Stuff like the moog/melos/etc are going to have less distortion on the modulator than like the Hax, Space Ring, Gonkulator. I also find that other waveforms outside of sine on the carrier can sometimes make the signal feel less "cutting". crochambeau had mentioned that the Serge one in modular was a great harsher sounding one I think...might be something to look for out in DIY land.

I dunno. I would go with the diode ring (there are a lot of these in modular land too with preamps and without but you would need a signal splitter or another osc or something...but with just a splitter you have an octave up effect) or in IC pedal land, something like the EHX FA/Planetoid/Robotum will get you there (and I think Copilot does a great job). Most importantly it is going to be as harsh or crazy as what you throw into it. Gotta just experiment I guess.

Modular has that mutable one that has traditional digital and an emulation of a diode ring one. But it is digital and have no idea how they sound.

crochambeau wrote:

Or wait for the awesomeness that always emerges from the RMA camp!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:56 pm

crochambeau wrote:

For you, of course. :lol: :thumb:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Things I would take into consideration: Format (modular, table top, instrument pedal board), Style (IC, transistor, digital, diode, tube, etc), Preamps (headroom, fuzz), Carrier Range, Carrier Waveform, Carrier Input

A Ge diode ring (or vactrol) is going to have the slowest gate close time for the waves creating a more "round" sound. The digital and IC gates are quick and the sound is going to be more "correct". Preamp headroom and balance are going to play a lot into it. Stuff like the moog/melos/etc are going to have less distortion on the modulator than like the Hax, Space Ring, Gonkulator. I also find that other waveforms outside of sine on the carrier can sometimes make the signal feel less "cutting". crochambeau had mentioned that the Serge one in modular was a great harsher sounding one I think...might be something to look for out in DIY land.

I dunno. I would go with the diode ring (there are a lot of these in modular land too with preamps and without but you would need a signal splitter or another osc or something...but with just a splitter you have an octave up effect) or in IC pedal land, something like the EHX FA/Planetoid/Robotum will get you there (and I think Copilot does a great job). Most importantly it is going to be as harsh or crazy as what you throw into it. Gotta just experiment I guess.

Modular has that mutable one that has traditional digital and an emulation of a diode ring one. But it is digital and have no idea how they sound.

Wizard post.

:wizard:

crochambeau wrote:

Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 pm

"ring mod-type tones"?

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:29 pm

It sounds nice and that guys stuff is kinda cool, but it just sounds like an osc fuzz to me haha. It's got some dirty doper and frequency LSD and fuzzrite in there I think sound wise. Though (from the demo) I think I like the character of the three individual ones better? Dirty Doper still reigns supreme haha (thing is a monster).

415 Euro out the door haha...too rich to try out for me.

That silver arrow one looks neat...at least I like the case haha. But 510 euro + 35 euro shipping :wha?:
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 am

Where's UG?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear