Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:46 pm

It does say "Spectrum control for feedback modulation" on the page too. Maybe it could have a feedback loop to blend back in the carrier or something? crochambeau is probably right though

-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Sheer speculation on my part, I'm the asshole who didn't even pull data or demo before responding!

:yay:
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:11 pm

crochambeau wrote:Sheer speculation on my part, I'm the asshole who didn't even pull data or demo before responding!

:yay:

:lol:

I dunno, the information and demos are pretty vague to me. Probably just as well to have a blind guess. Seems kinda like they are describing something in hypothetical speech. Haha.

When I was messing around with the Carlin and feeding the output back to the carrier input (which should octave up the octave up as long as the signal holds strength I guess) I was thinking that the harmonics brought out at double frequency will be expanded until they distort.

Those dudes put a limiter that cuts at 20khz....so I guess my thinking was they blend the ring mod output back into the input and use that low pass to give it a more kinda harmonic distorted tone. Or something. Who knows haha?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Has anyone hit a micro synth/bass micro synth with a ring mod? I feel like it probably wouldn't track well but could also sound sick. Or maybe run one after the synth?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:34 am

:idk:

Functionally I would imagine something more like this video (no ring mod in it though):

Never used a micro synth though and don't know how different it is from a blue box.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby autopilot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 am

so what features are a must have in your opinion/preference for a ring mod.

Ex. Lo/Hi switch (it needs to trem), LFO, the bells clean, etc
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:52 am

Lo/Hi switch is definitely useful, an LFO like the big Moog is also nice. CV control is crucial for synth use.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:43 pm

features I would like to see
- hi/lo on a footswitch is nice (even better would be like toggle two presets and each pot has a high/low switch). Or at least footswitchable between carrier in and internal

- pre and post gain. Maybe with clip option on the pre (basically, tailoring headroom and interaction with the signal chain for harmonics and stuff).

- volume...has to be at unity or above and not cut incoming signals (a lot do)

- Range...wide range (from super high to low low)

- brittle, mechanical, bell, metallic, clangy, warped analog synth...I like all the ring mod tones

- Routing options (meaning carrier in, etc)

- exp control over frequency

- has to cut ears and mixes

- maybe the ability to feedback input signal (like a loop with exp control for octave up and stuff)

Things I don't care as much about:
- any sort of blend (nice but unneeded)

- Carrier mod/sequencing (problem solved with broadcast/exp/CV...seems redundant)

- Multiple carrier waveforms in one pedal (should be concise I think...plus carrier in solves that).

neat stuff that I like but I could go either way on
- low pass filter and gates

I'm probably in the minority on that stuff though.

Your ring mods are some of the best out there autopilot. You're doing good work! The planetoid made me rethink my stance on ring mods with filters (I always thought they were kinda useless...but that one sounds great).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby autopilot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 pm

yeah, im brainstorming an updated version of the planetoid, so there's a chance i'll stole some of your inputs.

what kind of gate implementation, just to stop the carrier, the whole signal or what else you have in mind.

The carrier input is nice, but i guess only 1% of the users like to route stuff over there, there are a lot of stuff that could happen over there not just as carrier input option.
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:43 pm

I love different waveforms and filters in ringmods myself. :idk: Routing and carrier in can easily make any pedal a complete mess. :idk:

Carrier feedback sounds badass. Makes me want to plug the wet side of a delay to a ring mod. :drool:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:11 pm

autopilot wrote:yeah, im brainstorming an updated version of the planetoid, so there's a chance i'll stole some of your inputs.

what kind of gate implementation, just to stop the carrier, the whole signal or what else you have in mind.

The carrier input is nice, but i guess only 1% of the users like to route stuff over there, there are a lot of stuff that could happen over there not just as carrier input option.

I was thinking a vactrol style low pass gate/vca like in synths. I've got one built, just no power supply (waiting on parts). Kinda just wanted to see if that adds a little more character/fun than something like the low pass filter on Randy's Revenge.

Anyway, that is a whole nother tangent...

I'll shoot you an email. I've had more ideas since the last time we talked.

Inconuucl wrote:
Carrier feedback sounds badass. Makes me want to plug the wet side of a delay to a ring mod. :drool:

The first video in this thread has a feedback loop as the carrier (as does one of the videos on this page). It's a blast!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

I have now officially gone apeshit and totally caved to irresponsible GAS.
Sort of.
It's not irresponsible if I scored mad bargains in the BST as opposed to shelling out for new pedals, right?

Fuck it.
Dirtgame2016 just stepped it up.

Plus I'm pretty much done once these arrive. They were thugs I've had my sights set on for a while and I scored some pretty good deals so, I'm counting it as steps in the right direction.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:06 am

It's all about balance.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:18 am

autopilot wrote:The carrier input is nice, but i guess only 1% of the users like to route stuff over there, there are a lot of stuff that could happen over there not just as carrier input option.

I think a normalling input for carrier is the best of both worlds. I absolutely agree that the unit should be able remain interesting with only a single input cable and single output cable, but man, having the option to go in from the side is huge in my opinion, even if I only do it a fraction of the time.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby autopilot » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:31 pm

I also do, but in my experience most people dont dive down into all the features and options. And sometimes as a builder you think twice, about certain stuff/features/options if the end user will see it as attractive option or a feature more that it may never be used.
autopilot

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear