Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Was just listening to his live album w/ Thos. Morgan.... Kinda sad how few fx are on dat jawn :mope:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Dandolin wrote:Lurve quadrature, and that is a great sounding implementation :snax: I'm in the have-it-all ringmod voting bloc. Some things are more actualizable in digi, and that's ok with me. :group:

Later: this is making a great workdrone on "infinite" repeat :joy:

After thinking about it for a couple days, I might try an analog implementation over the weekend. I previously thought that I'd need four parallel analog ringmod circuits controlled digitally to do what I want it to do, because currently I digitally branch-out and ringmod four times the signal and sum it before turning it analog again. But maybe I can get away with summing the four carrier oscillators and doing the ringmod only once instead, via analog multiplication.

I have an ad633 and tc1044 lying around so maybe I'll try it. That charge pump isn't the greatest but it's only a proof of concept. If it works I'll order some lt1054s.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Yeah 1044s just need a regulator to make sure they don't get over 9v supply from my limited experience. I'm excited to hear it dude, love some analog circuits.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:01 pm

Win win :joy: Excited to hear what transpires :)*
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm

:thumb: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:39 am

There's a few Ringworms on reverb.. always wanted one of those pedals
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Special 4/20 pricing?

:idk:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby cloudscapes » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 pm

cloudscapes wrote:ad633

Well the analog implementation is working fine and dandy! Different sound characteristic, but equally fine. And importantly massive headroom. Running it on +15/-15.

Also added quadrature phase shift control. By default quadrature works by modulating each osc from the value every 90 degrees of the LFO, but I added a control that lets me shift it between 0 and 180 degrees for the 4 oscs. With 90 being the center position for the knob. Less than 90 and I get bursty sounds. More than 90 and the last osc starts overlapping the first's 'timing', which is really cool. Got some neat 3/4 gong beat going, with the first gong being a double frequency.

I normally hate working with 'high' voltage. I inadvertently shielded my eyes and backed away a little when plugged in the breadboarded 30v range charge pump for the first time.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm

That white mooger is a friggin’ beaut!!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm

cloudscapes wrote:

Well the analog implementation is working fine and dandy! Different sound characteristic, but equally fine. And importantly massive headroom. Running it on +15/-15.

Also added quadrature phase shift control. By default quadrature works by modulating each osc from the value every 90 degrees of the LFO, but I added a control that lets me shift it between 0 and 180 degrees for the 4 oscs. With 90 being the center position for the knob. Less than 90 and I get bursty sounds. More than 90 and the last osc starts overlapping the first's 'timing', which is really cool. Got some neat 3/4 gong beat going, with the first gong being a double frequency.

I normally hate working with 'high' voltage. I inadvertently shielded my eyes and backed away a little when plugged in the breadboarded 30v range charge pump for the first time.

:excellent: :snax: :snax: :snax: That's pretty frickin' awesome....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:03 am

cloudscapes wrote:

All praises be to Lord Analog!

Are you getting your 30 volt swing from a transformer? Or the 1044 ?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cloudscapes » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am

BetterOffShred wrote:Are you getting your 30 volt swing from a transformer? Or the 1044 ?

lt1054, which just arrived yesterday.

the headroom on the ad633 is nicer than I thought! I thought I'd have to add a noise gate but it's pretty quiet when I let the ringmod trail off and palm the strings. no carrier bleed even. I imagine it'll be even better when its off the breadboard and onto a properly ground-fill'ed pcb and in a box. I bought this chip probably 12 years ago and never did anything with it. glad to see it works and isn't a fake.

it's darker than the digital implementation I had earlier (in the video), but thats not a bad thing.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:58 am

That is not a bad thing. :|: :love: :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear