Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby MrNovember » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Rearranged my pedalboard last night for the Outer Rings:
NSFW: show

Afterwards, I patched a bunch of pedals through the Patchulator, but my clean signal sounded like it was going through a ring mod even with all the pedals turned off. I thought there was something wrong with the Outer Rings, so I unplugged everything systematically until I was down to guitar > mixer > amp. Still had the weird ring mod effect. Turns out my mixer wasn't fully plugged in because Behringer uses the worst possible connectors on the planet and a light wind will knock them loose.

Long story, short: I want to circuit bend my mixer.

As far as the Outer Rings goes, this is pretty much exactly my experience with it as well:
baremountain wrote:Feeling the same way so far, Retinal! There have been plenty of settings where Tilt is towards the ring mod side, but it sounds like a messed up fuzz or something, and less like a dialup modem. I think the Outer Rings is going to be mainly about finding sweet spots. I could also probably benefit from re-watching a tutorial or reading the manual now that I've got it in front of me, but it's pretty easy to work your way around it. The Strange control is definitely the key to unlocking this thing's potential I think, as turning that is typically what brings me quickly from 'weird fuzz' to oscillations from hell. That said, still not getting clanginess the way that my roommates EHX Frequency Analyzer does.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dandolin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

MrNovember wrote:Long story, short: I want to circuit bend my mixer.

:lol: do eet :poke: :snax:

Also: :love: that board :love: dat a tetanus boost?

Also, also: as I think about what attracted me to the Outer Rings in the initial demo, it was definitely all about the fuqqed up fuzzery and none about the bell clang. But having a few klangmeisters already, I'm not surprised at my shallowness. I'm really thinking about the OR as Gonkulator in Excelsis moreso than the One Ring.... :idk:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 pm

Dandolin wrote:Also: :love: that board :love: dat a tetanus boost?

Yeah it is! I love how it sounds. I basically use it as an always on OD, not really like a boost
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dandolin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm

lordgalvar wrote:I have the xr-1 oscillators that are also built in ring mods with fsk...they are nice and I use them a lot in eurorack (one of the few modules I'm keeping). They are built on an all in one chip with the ring mod and osc built in to the chip (I think it's also called xr something)

Kinda nice to have percussion and or modulation oscs with some built in dirty vca like action (and an attentuverter).

Dayumm--those XR22 VCO FT modules look pretty awesome. I've been trying to ignore my modular's incessant demands to "feed me" :erm: but those do look like they might be a more interesting thing to play with than yet another ring mod, however nice....

Oof--one of these just sold on Reverb for $90? That's like 1/3 of list...hope it was you lg :D
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm

They are ok...kind of different than usual oscillators. They are kinda a pain to tune of you are really needing something perfect (you have to unlatch the fsk and switch between the two sides)...but you can use the fsk as like a cool little arp, octave jump or other stuff with outside triggers. I have the ft and the og...I usually use one as a modulator and one as a wacky osc into a folder. Kinda nice though that I can run and envelope into the am in and kinda just use the one module. The normalization is awesome too. It just takes a lot of digging to get used to a different style of workflow...but the dude that makes cg is a percussionist and it totally makes sense for that kinda jazz. Kinda had expensive new though.

Wasn't me though...they were like my first euro non diy buys (2016 maybe?). Both were used though and not too much more.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks lg--I'm gonna keep an eye out - - it's nice to have something to wrangle with sometimes instead of fully baked sounds.

Also, maybe I'm easy, but I *really* like the tones in the demos of the XR1-E (the tabletop RM) on their website. Doubt I find one of those floating around for $100 though :lol:

MrNovember wrote:
Dandolin wrote:Also: :love: that board :love: dat a tetanus boost?

Yeah it is! I love how it sounds. I basically use it as an always on OD, not really like a boost

Noice--I'd like to try stacking one with a Champion Leccy Divvy....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby affectperdals » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:26 pm

I made a blank template for the Outer Rings settings. Maybe someone else can use it.

https://imgur.com/a/EX2JO
affectperdals

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am

^^ :love:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Some ring mod action from the Japanese company Noah's Ark (or Noah'sark?) First effect demo'ed.

I used to have their Purple Fuzz--a nice Si fuzz face; very well built....

I like the expression pedal control of carrier freq and that they put a gate in there...crazy high prices though, from what I can see....

Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Nice find on that test movie! :omg:

Dude's playin' a nice Mosrite! :!!!: Pedal sounds pretty good! :snax:

Never seen one of those for sale anywhere though. :idk:

Gets a shout-out from Steve Stevens some years back: https://www.facebook.com/stevestevensof ... 5643488777
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 pm

There's some out there--north of $300 from Japan. Looks like somebody's auctioning a used one for a 99 dolla start bid on the 'Bay right now:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RING-MODULATOR-PEDAL-NOAHSARK-SIGNED-AND-OWNED-BY-STEVE-STEVENS/222854850633?hash=item33e32f2849:g:hcUAAOSwL2Nakdyh

Signed by Steve S. too....
Last edited by Dandolin on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm

LOL. Signed and owned by Steve Stevens. :lol: :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:40 pm

My Blue Ringer was owned and used by INXS...I want that one to complete the pair.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Does Belew use ring mod on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-2kl8HgVpo

You may have to get a pedal signed by him to make it three of a perfect pair? :idk: :snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:58 pm

I think it's a bunch of detuning, harmonizer, and/or delay pitch shift stuff. :idk:
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear