Grendel Drone Commander 2.0

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Grendel Drone Commander 2.0

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:56 pm

Um we've talked about it a little bit. There's some soundcloud clips out there too.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 pm

vidret wrote:someone explain to me the process of being able to play this with keys.

does it have to go: main module > expander module > some kind of CV converter thing? > keys?

Yeah. The Expander Module has the capabilities for MIDI to CV.
It's on the page somewheres, that's how they got the "doom" sound if you scrolls to some of the examples.

This is towards the bottom, as well:

All of the demo recordings featured here were created with the Grendel DC-2e + Expander as the only sound source, with no other modules connected except a Vermona QMI MIDI-CV converter. (Drum tracks made with an Alesis D4 and Roland TR-808).
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby odontophobia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:22 am

vidret wrote:what a fucking hassle :lol:

Yeah. Doesn't mean I don't want to buy it though. I just lust for gear. I'm not even into Modular at all.
Haha.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:59 pm

bumping this because I hopped back on the DC page to check something to see this:

“Hi, I really love the Drone Commander and I am very sad and bummed now that its not being made.”

We apologize sincerely to anybody who wanted a Drone Commander classic. It is not in production any more, and all stock is sold out. If you are seeking one, try eBay, and see the notes below about packing it carefully for shipping. There’s no need to message us ‘just in case’.

What’s the story behind it? It was designed by me in about two weeks. More than 750 were assembled, largely by hand, largely by one person, over a span of six years. That is a lot of time to gather feedback from users and critically evaluate every feature, every manufacturing step, every failure mode, every business transaction, almost every molecule of a product. Not to mention the accumulation of personal insight on its playability, appearance, and sound quality. I spent three to five hours of my own time assembling each Drone Commander classic, and tested every one with my own hands and ears.

After making about 500 of them, it became tedious. After building another 250, I was more than ready to move on and apply the accumulated experience to newer designs. How much experience? Thousands of hours spent on assembly work, and thousands more hours spent on research and development for new ideas.

Imagine you are a performing artist who has a hit with your first recording. Sounds great right? But, that was years ago, and now you’re still drowned with demands to perform it ad nauseam despite having newer material that you’re more proud of. Maybe this isn’t a perfect analogy, but if it helps you sympathize with our half of the equation, that’s the intention. We are not frozen in time. Creative people and ideas must expand and reach ever further.

In short, the decision to discontinue this product was not taken lightly. Thank you for helping our company grow.

:lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 am

Do they want to let me build them instead :idk:

:lol:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BLOOD EAGLE » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:28 am

Kind of common sense I think?

I await the day v1's go for the price of a v2+ expander
BLOOD EAGLE

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Do you think the DC1 price gougers have led the DC2 to a higher price? I dunno. I am just frustrated that I can't get my hands on a DC1. I had saved my money, and literally that week I had the money for one they became discontinued. So if I really want to acquire one I have to pay a scalper, though I wonder if the price will come down on those now. Part of the DC1's charm is that weird little box with simple controls that splurge out some beautiful chaos. Sounds like the DC2 standalone unit may or may not be available at some point. I wonder what form it will take and the price too. I know it doesn't necessarily sound better than the DC1, just more complicated.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I'm not ready for modular yet.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Ugh $550 for both the thing and the expander, I was hoping it would be cheaper.

Yo, who is trying to get price gouged on a DC V1 (or actually, I do want to sell mine to buy this version, so hit me up with an offer if you wanna).
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Aww man. I just bought a TR 707 this week and let the wife borrow some gear fund money for buying gifts. Maybe I will get my Xmas bonus on Friday...unless I get enrolled in the jelly-of-the-month club.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 am

Yo I'll sell you mine for $550.

If you think that's gouging find another one, motherfucker. :lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 am

Just kidding I'm not going for the DC2. I'd just get the Fomant filter and build something else if I was going modular, though?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BLOOD EAGLE » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:37 am

kbit wrote:Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I'm not ready for modular yet.

I thought they made mention of a stand alone box version later...
(I'm not ready either)
BLOOD EAGLE

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:04 am

A stand-alone version may be in the works also.

I think if you Have To Have a DC2 I would go with the modular. But I also wouldn't get a DC2 to replace a DC1? at least not from what I've heard.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BLOOD EAGLE » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:23 am

D.o.S. wrote:
A stand-alone version may be in the works also.

I think if you Have To Have a DC2 I would go with the modular. But I also wouldn't get a DC2 to replace a DC1? at least not from what I've heard.

yeah it would be super hard to part with mine, I got it before it was rarewaves when it was just Eric Archer.
Back then you could get whatever color face plate/knobs you wanted....
*my shit is custom yo*
BLOOD EAGLE

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear