The board itself.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The board itself.

Postby frigid midget » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:06 am

I know I said this a zillion times here, but really...

Unless you're rich enough to spend money on something silly like a board instead of a couple sweet sweep pedlols, I don't see why you would NOT want to go with something that's exactly the size you want, with no compromises. Just DIY the fucking thing. You could even go all TGP and add some lights, build in jacks, a fancy paint job, or whatever other bells and wistles you can think of.

I'm personally a no frills lean and mean kinda guy when it comes to peds and boards, function over form and all that. So I just settle for a piece a plywood cut to the size of an old cheap suitcase I found in a thrift store. Raised one side, screwed on a pair of handles, and drilled a bunch of holes for the cables and power. It's not too big, so the weight isn't an issue, and the old case has more mojo than anything you buy at musician's friend or whatever :)

A gorm board would make sense too I guess, but I'd personally want to be able to take my shit from one place to the other in somesort of hardcase. I don't see myself builfing a second board in the near future, but still, maybe this is the right time and place to ask: Anyone happen to know of an easily/widely available case that'll fit a small gorm board??
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:52 pm

I have a few homemade options
Using a monster heavy pedalpad most of the time now because it's indestructible but it's a separate trip to the car which is sucky

also have a blackbird stealth light which is pretty sweet, easy to tote around if you use their tape and don't want a case

I made a few way to big homemade boards for a while
homemade is cool, but I need limitations or I outkick my coverage
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby NowieAsh » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:20 pm

frigid midget wrote:I know I said this a zillion times here, but really...

Unless you're rich enough to spend money on something silly like a board instead of a couple sweet sweep pedlols, I don't see why you would NOT want to go with something that's exactly the size you want, with no compromises. Just DIY the fucking thing. You could even go all TGP and add some lights, build in jacks, a fancy paint job, or whatever other bells and wistles you can think of.

I'm personally a no frills lean and mean kinda guy when it comes to peds and boards, function over form and all that. So I just settle for a piece a plywood cut to the size of an old cheap suitcase I found in a thrift store. Raised one side, screwed on a pair of handles, and drilled a bunch of holes for the cables and power. It's not too big, so the weight isn't an issue, and the old case has more mojo than anything you buy at musician's friend or whatever :)

A gorm board would make sense too I guess, but I'd personally want to be able to take my shit from one place to the other in somesort of hardcase. I don't see myself builfing a second board in the near future, but still, maybe this is the right time and place to ask: Anyone happen to know of an easily/widely available case that'll fit a small gorm board??

Got any pictures??
NowieAsh

interested
interested

Postby stripes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:55 pm

i have probably made out of scrap wood 4 or 5 different pedal boards over the years. i always want that method to work for me, and it just never does. the biggest problem is finding a good case for something you DIY'd. I would always try to find old suitcases because they were usually the perfect depth for a pedalboard, but after a few rides in the van to a show, they would break in all kinds of ways.

i am on tour for 3-4 months out of the year, with regular shows and little weekenders in between - so having my shit in a soft flimsy suitcase was just not cutting it. i don't want hundreds of dollars to get broken because i didn't protect it... i would say if you gig out even 10 times a year, it's worth getting something that's sturdy and reliable. i have a little board made out of wood that stays in my music room and i can set it up however i want for a one time thing recording or just playing around.

had one of those diago boards for a while, but after this most recent tour, the handle snapped off and it's a huge pain to not have a handle. also like others were saying, no slats. i like to be neat.

just got myself a pt jr with the tour case and i am really so glad that i did. i can be drunk and or cranky and throw it right in the back of the van at the end of the night and not worry about whats going to get thrown in on top. space wise, it's perfect for me because i know i don't need anything bigger, and if i'm using more than like 8 pedals, it's a fun sitting on my floor going to space sort of activity.

i like pedaltrain. it's not crazy expensive, you know they are reliable, they have cases for whatever your need is, you can mount power supplies (usually), and they will last.
i am a supporter...
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear