JHS Muffuletta

Moderator: Ghost Hip

JHS Muffuletta

Postby TOMKAT_BKLYN » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:01 am

This came out today. Sounds pretty great! Really curious about the mode switching since one rotary switch is changing multiple component values. Since Josh says its all analog I imagine he made a circuit board with six different smd muff circuits on it, tone volume and sustain knobs connected to all of them, and the mode switch bypasses each one. Thats just my idea tho.
TOMKAT_BKLYN

committed
committed

Re: JHS Muffuletta

Postby MEC » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:08 am

http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby AlexanderPedals » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 am

My thought was that he's using CMOS switching like a 4066 or 4053 etc. to change component values. Really easy to do that all in digital logic but all of the switching is analog using FETs in the CMOS chips. A 4051 is essentially a digitally controlled 1-of-8 switch, the 4052 is four SPST switches, and a 4053 (my personal fave) is three SPDT switches. You need to be careful about how you bias the CMOS ICs if you don't want them to pop when switching but it's possible that JHS have implemented some other type of pop suppression. One MOSFET to ground on the main output triggered by the switch logic or microcontroller would take care of any switching transients and then your CMOS logic can just sit at any old DC level. There's plenty of ways to implement this effectively (read: cheaply) and kudos to JHS for getting there first. How much you wanna bet we see a Tonebender workalike with the same type of switching later on?

Personally I would have gone whole-hog and used digital pots controlled by the panel potentiometers to implement a preset system. An all-analog Muff that can go from Siamese Dream to DSOTM with a single switch tap is mighty appealing.
AlexanderPedals

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:25 am

Girl get out of here with that JHS bs. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 am

jwar wrote:Girl get out of here with that JHS bs. :)
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:57 am

while I found Matthew''s post interesting&informative

UglyCasanova wrote:
Last edited by resincum on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ev_O))) » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:04 am

resincum wrote:while I found Alexander's (that's your name, right?) post interesting&informative

UglyCasanova wrote:

My sentiments exactly, as while disinterested in the product I was curious how 6 muffs were able to be selected flicked through.
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:22 am

It's hard to keep track of everyone we are supposed to hate and to what degree. Do we hate JHS more than Devi? How about Malekko? Where does he rank in this Axis of Evil? Is Prymaxe the George W. Bush of retailers?
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jakezor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:24 am

Fuzz Modes:
1. JHS "2015"
The JHS Muff is a JHS original take on the classic circuit. You will find this version more powerful, less compressed with a more haunting mid range. It is also the best for bass guitar.

hahahaha :lol:
Jakezor

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:25 am

resincum wrote:while I found Alexander's (that's your name, right?) post interesting&informative

UglyCasanova wrote:

Matthew.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby BLOOD EAGLE » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:51 am

i definitely want one, but i have issues.... and it would definitely be used...
but i'd pay a little extra if i can get it with the ugly ass graphics ground off.........
BLOOD EAGLE

committed
committed

Postby spacelordmother » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:57 am

Jakezor wrote:Fuzz Modes:
1. JHS "2015"
The JHS Muff is a JHS original take on the classic circuit. You will find this version more powerful, less compressed with a more haunting mid range. It is also the best for bass guitar.

hahahaha :lol:

:lol:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:35 pm

I'd be more interested if it had a mids control. :idk:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 pm

I like pedals named after sandwiches. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby TOMKAT_BKLYN » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:46 pm

AlexanderPedals wrote:My thought was that he's using CMOS switching like a 4066 or 4053 etc. to change component values. Really easy to do that all in digital logic but all of the switching is analog using FETs in the CMOS chips. A 4051 is essentially a digitally controlled 1-of-8 switch, the 4052 is four SPST switches, and a 4053 (my personal fave) is three SPDT switches. You need to be careful about how you bias the CMOS ICs if you don't want them to pop when switching but it's possible that JHS have implemented some other type of pop suppression. One MOSFET to ground on the main output triggered by the switch logic or microcontroller would take care of any switching transients and then your CMOS logic can just sit at any old DC level. There's plenty of ways to implement this effectively (read: cheaply) and kudos to JHS for getting there first. How much you wanna bet we see a Tonebender workalike with the same type of switching later on?

Personally I would have gone whole-hog and used digital pots controlled by the panel potentiometers to implement a preset system. An all-analog Muff that can go from Siamese Dream to DSOTM with a single switch tap is mighty appealing.

Wow thanks for all that info and you're probly spot on there. This is why I posted this topic, to talk about the switching.
Digital pots would have been sick. Different muff version presets controllable with midi, so cool. I can't imagine a JHS tonebender. eek. :facepalm:
TOMKAT_BKLYN

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear