Picking up radio waves

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Picking up radio waves

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:27 pm

Why does this happen?

I was jamming along with some peeps on bass instead of guitar which I normally play. Step on a fuzz pedal and get full volume radio station. I was kind of like :joy: but everyone else was like :wha?: :( When I would play a note it went away. It does it on guitar as well but not nearly as loud.

Follow up: can I use this to my advantage? like have some device transmitting a drone and my fuzz pedal acts as a receiver to play it when I'm not playing. Like an elaborate, hard way to control sample.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Picking up radio waves

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:36 pm

It happens because of poor shielding.

Follow Up: Yes, and yes.

I miss my Russian Muff for this. I think a couple of my pedals still do it, though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:38 pm

I'll let someone else explain why--it's a mix of the pedal wiring and your proximity to strong signals. I'm in your camp--I love when it happens! Your idea is great--theoretically I guess you could, if you were transmitting in the right frequency range? Don't use too strong a transmitter or you might wake the sleeping FCC giant, lol. Penny Pedals is coming out with a new version of it's Radio DLX lofi pedal that will have a selectable setting that is designed to pickup radio signals....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Same thing happens on my Algal Bloom when I turn everything up real loud, especially the power knob.

You could use a ducker or side chain compression to accomplish this. Think radio, the volume of the music goes down whenever the DJ talks. Use your guitar signal to duck or compress the sound of the radio.

I posted this before, but on my first drum recording ever, we did an equally complicated triggering of a radio by gating the radio and triggering the gate via various drums on a kit.

DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

My fuzz Factory does this, too. It's great! Only, I like to fun the noise through a Moog MuRF downstream, then loop the pattern. So it's like radio drumbeats that I can make more weird noises over.

No one else likes it. That's why...I'm here.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby waltdogg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:12 pm

This happened all the time at my old house, as mentioned anything with weak shielding, stupid high gain without noise suppression, or any shorted connection would cause it to happen. Even my stereo receiver would do it when I'd connect my iPod and the connection wasn't fully made. It got a little annoying at high volumes but I still thought it was damn funny coz it was an Asian station and it would be coming in fairly clear. Then we moved to a lockout, the walls were thick enough or the power was clean enough to block interference.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:40 pm

The old Dano Black Coffee mini-pedal was the king of that for me.

I got Mexican radio the minute the sun went down and it was plugged in.

LA COOCARACHA!
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34 pm

Happened to me a lot in one of the places I lived. Usually picked up crazy talk radio stuff. I always thought it was kind of cool - like commercial breaks between my shitty riffs.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeteeBee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:47 pm

Any thoughts on how to induce it? Like can I just go buy a radio transmitter and hook that up to a cassette player? That's my dream. And how would I guarantee I'm transmitting the frequency my fuzz picks up?

I'm getting stoked on almost doing like a noise dj set.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 pm

One of the old Mr Microphone things that transmits on the 'public" dial around 88 FM will do it, if you can hook that into a CD/Mp3 out on something.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Try an old cheapo patch cable that works but lacks sheilding or has a slight off sized plug so it will short the sleeve and tip but still pass signal. That might be made up actually, but I can't think of anything else other than a fuzz pedal being in my friend's chain that caused this the most at the old place.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby stripes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 pm

DRodriguez wrote:I posted this before, but on my first drum recording ever, we did an equally complicated triggering of a radio by gating the radio and triggering the gate via various drums on a kit.

this sounds awesome :!!!:
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 am

stripes wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:I posted this before, but on my first drum recording ever, we did an equally complicated triggering of a radio by gating the radio and triggering the gate via various drums on a kit.

this sounds awesome :!!!:

Rad. Would love to hear more about this.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Invisible Man wrote:
stripes wrote:this sounds awesome :!!!:

Rad. Would love to hear more about this.

Thanks! I really should get around to remixing it for fun one of these days. Here's the full untrimmed session.

We went less radio crazy at the start. This was when I was trying out audio school (I left fairly quickly and just did some real audio work). This was in the class of a guy called Rich Hinklin. Who worked under Jack Endino on crazy albums like Nirvana and Soundgarden. Probably one of the most helpful guys I've met in terms of honesty and encouragement in the realities of the audio world. First time I met him, he told a classroom full of hopeful kids that we'd be lucky if one of us ended up with a job in audio. I guess I was that one. :thumb:

Plus he got bonus points for naming his black labrador EBow.

The drummer was Greg Gilmore (drummer from 10 Minute Warning, Mother Love Bone, Jack Endino, and more) improvised a drum solo. Meanwhile, we were triggering a mangled radio set to the local classical station via an analog gate. We changed what was triggering the gate at different times, but the best results came from the HiHat. Meanwhile we did some live tweaking of the radio with a 4 band eq, Think manual filter sweeps, etc.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear