BOSS SY-300

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: BOSS SY-300

Postby gordian knot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:35 pm

tuj wrote:The good 'ole GR300 sounds like it is still the winner for tracking speed.

That's because it didn't "track" quite the way we think about it now-a-day (or even in the gr 700 days)
In some ways, it's barely a synth (don't get me wrong, I regret selling mine years ago. I think my one wish is that they had made hex filtering, but we're talking upping the complexity by quite a bit). What I mean is that it used a combo of hex-fuzz (which was actually in the guitar) and the synching oscillators worked off zero-cross detection to retrigger an RC circuit...it's not all all that different than an flip-flop based octave divider. it was right on the line

So it didn't have to extract pitch info as a discrete parameter. So it didn't have to wait for the signal to settle down. Attack noise just came out as, well ...attack noise and not pitch to glitch burbling. The downside is the limit to bascially the one funky waveform out of the osc
gordian knot

committed
committed

Re: BOSS SY-300

Postby *J* » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:25 pm

sonidero wrote:Yall are worried about trackin while I has a laugh...

Play a Guitar Synth or don't, don't complain about intricinties...

well said....errors and all.
and I feel the same way.

yes I own one and it's not going anywhere.
if you're looking to sound like a flute oboe, violin, piano, blah, etc.
look elsewhere. if you want to create tones and textures that no pedal to date can give you, it's for you.
run it in parallel(preferably through a mixer into PA speakers) with your pedalboard>amp and mix in a touch or a bunch.
truly inspiring.
*J*

involved
involved

Previous

Return to General Gear