Computer based ambient drone: Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Computer based ambient drone: Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc.

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun May 01, 2016 1:41 am

resincum wrote:
Ev_O))) wrote:
resincum wrote:
Ev_O))) wrote:
resincum wrote:launchpad seems to be the most common for pairing with audiomulch. need me some sliders/knobs tho! would like to avoid multiple controllers if possible, as well.

I like that akai. how do you trigger record/playback with the loops?

Yeah I feel you, I bought the Launchpad first then realised I needed some knobs/slideys and then bought the Akai.

I don't use audiomulch so I dunno how much is relevant, but I use a 4 channel looping plugin a lot and the two buttons labelled rec arm start and end recording on the plugin. Playback is instant, if I don't want it to be instant I just turn down the volume with the relevant "level" knob.

It's a lot of fun having nine loops going with continuous pitch control though. So much fuckin fun.

ohhh, right on! that actually seems perfect for me. can only find the newer version, but it's pretty damn cheap so I think I'll try it out. nanokontrol seems like it should get the job done, too. thanks for suggestions, guys!!

now what about playing this stuff live? will running headphone out from my computer into the PA be good enough?

Yeah man, my nidi mix was like $120 AUD and worth every cent.
If you have an audio interface of some kind of then I'd use it. A small USB powered one would be awesome, that's how I roll. Left and right out into a pair of DIs.

killer. currently my set up is guitar > pedals > interface > computer. is there a way to route back to the interface for sound out or do I need another interface?

thanks for the help!!

Yeah man, if audiomulch is accepting the input signal via USB from the interface then somehwere in the settings you should be able to choose where audiomulch outputs sound to, either the PC or the interface. SHould all be under an Ins/Outs tab somehwere in there. Again, I'm unfamiliar with AM but this is a standard feature across every other DAW I've ever touched :)

What interface is it?
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby resincum » Sun May 01, 2016 12:58 pm

dude, yes!!!! so all I'd need is a set of decent monitors for small gigs without PAs, eh? officially hyped :!!!:

I'm using a tascam us-1200

thanks again!
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby louderthangod » Sun May 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Anyone try this Adulus 3 app on the iphone/ipad/mac's? They've got a lot of tutorials but I haven't played with it yet. Looks like it might be a good thing to test the waters on before I decide to make the jump to something like Audiomulch.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby Inconuucl » Sun May 01, 2016 8:37 pm

louderthangod wrote:Anyone try this Adulus 3 app on the iphone/ipad/mac's? They've got a lot of tutorials but I haven't played with it yet. Looks like it might be a good thing to test the waters on before I decide to make the jump to something like Audiomulch.

It is fantastic. I've done entire Compositions with it. It's a bit overwhelming at first but then it clicks and it's mind blowing. :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: it's my most used app on the iPad.

I can record some audio demos I've done if you wish.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun May 01, 2016 10:28 pm

resincum wrote:dude, yes!!!! so all I'd need is a set of decent monitors for small gigs without PAs, eh? officially hyped :!!!:

I'm using a tascam us-1200

thanks again!

Yeah man fuck yeah, I was just making sure you weren't using like a fucking iRig or something as ya interface haha the tascam is fine.
Kill it man :yay:
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby kbit » Sun May 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Dr Sherm gave me a little crash course in Pure Data this weekend and I was like :wha?: :eek: :whoa:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Sat May 07, 2016 11:50 am

kbit wrote:Dr Sherm gave me a little crash course in Pure Data this weekend and I was like :wha?: :eek: :whoa:

Yeah it's a trip, but when you watch someone who knows what the fuck they are doing work that shit... man it makes me wanna commit more than a few hours of my time to all these awesome things at a time

probably won't though
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby _r_ » Tue May 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Loving this thread! I'm trying to create some computer-based drO)))ne and struggling to even begin. Trying to emulate Sunn's almighty drones meets Godspeed (the start of Mladic and the drone section in the middle of their last album) meets Swans (the title track of The Seer and the ambient bits in A Piece Of The Sky/Bring The Sun) to give you an idea. Lots of dense, powerful and slowly-evolving sound basically. At my disposal I have Logic 9 and Ableton Live Lite (I don't really like Ableton as an arranging interface so I tend to just use it to make drum loops, which I find it very good for!), a Volca Bass and a few freeware software synths. And the kind of guitar rig you'd expect someone who posts on this forum to have. And a concertina which I'm determined to incorporate into it somewhere...

I'm not planning on making a whole album of drones. I've made very early roads into a rather ambitious doom-Kraut folktronica thing about neolithic Britain and I like the idea of the first 3 or 4 minutes being what I mentioned in the first few lines of this post...

Any suggestions on where to start, or any free/very cheap plugins that could be useful (I have no money) would be much appreciated!
Fane - folk music from the furthest reaches
_r_

committed
committed

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby D.o.S. » Tue May 10, 2016 5:02 pm

Check out Ambience (free reverb VST, very drone, much wow)
http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/

Elastique (not free but pretty cheap time stretcher)
https://www.zplane.de/index.php?page=de ... -elastique

Also don't sleep on Ableton's grain delay (which is included in Lite). That thing is fucking awesome.

That stuff is all over pretty much all of my music... which I guess if you hate that then you know what to avoid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Wed May 11, 2016 1:57 am

_r_ wrote:Loving this thread! I'm trying to create some computer-based drO)))ne and struggling to even begin. Trying to emulate Sunn's almighty drones meets Godspeed (the start of Mladic and the drone section in the middle of their last album) meets Swans (the title track of The Seer and the ambient bits in A Piece Of The Sky/Bring The Sun) to give you an idea. Lots of dense, powerful and slowly-evolving sound basically. At my disposal I have Logic 9 and Ableton Live Lite (I don't really like Ableton as an arranging interface so I tend to just use it to make drum loops, which I find it very good for!), a Volca Bass and a few freeware software synths. And the kind of guitar rig you'd expect someone who posts on this forum to have. And a concertina which I'm determined to incorporate into it somewhere...

I'm not planning on making a whole album of drones. I've made very early roads into a rather ambitious doom-Kraut folktronica thing about neolithic Britain and I like the idea of the first 3 or 4 minutes being what I mentioned in the first few lines of this post...

Any suggestions on where to start, or any free/very cheap plugins that could be useful (I have no money) would be much appreciated!

Sick man. One thing I do in Ableton (you may be able to do a similar thing in Logic, I don't know, or if it works in Lite) is to create a looper array with some variable loopers. In this case I use Ableton's stock Looper. I ether send a signal into Ableton or throw a sample on a separate track and then use 8 other tracks taking this material as the source material and create a heap of different loops at varying speeds, directions, volumes and lengths. I map all of these to an external controller so it allows me to kind of "improvise" these long evolving drones with 8 loops + the source material. Bury this in reverb and you have a huge wall of sound really quickly, especially if you are using a very static texture as your source material. It also works nice with more melodic content, as you get all these weird rhythmic clashes and interesting harmonic content without actually having to think too hard about the music, it just self evolves, especially when all the loops are different lengths and speed/pitches.

If Live Lite includes the looper I rec giving that a go, or if Logic has one where3 you can adjust the speed/pitch of the loops and run it without needing to sync to the Tempo.

But yeah, basically repitching and layering the same source material is an easy way to do it, and that's just a way to do it hands free.

Ambience is cool, like D.o.S said. Ableton's Grain Delay and Reverb are sick too if you can use them. I'm unsure about Logic 9 but in my experience with X the reverbs were ok. Didn't love them though.
A really simple trick to make things sound kinda thicker than they actually are is to LPF the fuck out of everything. Then if you have just a single track or two without the filtering then they really stand out.
I also used to use Paulstretch in Audacity to timefuck the shit out of samples. That was a ripper. It's all free. If you can record some kind of ambient pads and stuff with your guitar rig and slow them down a touch and create layers then you should be sweet as a starting point.

I have super limited experience with Logic (Even then with X not 9), I run Ableton Suite and use a lot of things that I paid for so that's about all I can offer off the top of my head, I'm sorry. I'll keep having a think.... :thumb:
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby _r_ » Thu May 12, 2016 3:44 pm

That's great! So my next question would be what a good looper is for Logic (or Ableton), preferably one that can take pre-recorded samples then mess them up so I've got a few different drones on different tracks like you mentioned. I downloaded Mobius and I swear it's the worst bit of software I've ever encountered...
Fane - folk music from the furthest reaches
_r_

committed
committed

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Ev_O))) » Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 am

_r_ wrote:That's great! So my next question would be what a good looper is for Logic (or Ableton), preferably one that can take pre-recorded samples then mess them up so I've got a few different drones on different tracks like you mentioned. I downloaded Mobius and I swear it's the worst bit of software I've ever encountered...

I too thought Mobius to be a piece of shit
I use Tonecarver Regen live: https://tonecarver.wordpress.com/regen/
It will work in Ableton but I'm unsure if it's available as an AU for Logic.
An example of the way I set it up is. Might wanna right click and open the image in a new tab I think it gets cut off a bit to the right of the image where the I/O routing is and that shit's important:

So, rather than putting the sample IN the looper and messing it up, I place the samples on a track, and then on the LOOP 1 and LOOP 2 tracks use Track 1 as the input source (Which you can see to the right of the track names). By placing an instance of TC Regen on ech of the LOOP tracks, this gives me 8 looping channels across two Audio tracks, which is heaps. I then have a fourth track set up to record my loops as I play around, where the input source is the MASTER OUTPUT and it outputs the track only to a muted send so as not to create a feedback loop (If the INPUT and OUTPUT of the channel were the MASTER, ya dig?).

You should be able to recreate that in Live Lite or something similar that works for you and then take anything you create ad drop it into Logic for more complex post looping manipulation/arrangin and shit.

One thing I like to do after something like this is to then, in a new session, do the same thing with the output of the previous session. Shit gets dense quick.
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby louderthangod » Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 am

I just realized I can get the education discount (since I'm a teacher) on Ableton so I might pick it up in in the next month or so. Not sure how worth it is to get the push hardware thing.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby Ev_O))) » Fri May 13, 2016 1:15 am

louderthangod wrote:I just realized I can get the education discount (since I'm a teacher) on Ableton so I might pick it up in in the next month or so. Not sure how worth it is to get the push hardware thing.

The push can do so much shit straight out of the box man. Pretty incredible if you're willing to drop the $.
I don't have one but I would love one. I use a Nvoationa Lunchpad simply to trigger samples but the Push is pretty much an instrument all in itself.
But yeah, love the edu discount. I got it as a Student, almost 50% off of Suite.
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby fcknoise » Fri May 13, 2016 5:57 am

_r_ wrote:Loving this thread! I'm trying to create some computer-based drO)))ne and struggling to even begin. Trying to emulate Sunn's almighty drones meets Godspeed (the start of Mladic and the drone section in the middle of their last album) meets Swans (the title track of The Seer and the ambient bits in A Piece Of The Sky/Bring The Sun) to give you an idea. Lots of dense, powerful and slowly-evolving sound basically. At my disposal I have Logic 9 and Ableton Live Lite (I don't really like Ableton as an arranging interface so I tend to just use it to make drum loops, which I find it very good for!), a Volca Bass and a few freeware software synths. And the kind of guitar rig you'd expect someone who posts on this forum to have. And a concertina which I'm determined to incorporate into it somewhere...

If you use Mac, it's really hard to beat the Michael Norris Soundmagic Spectral pack. A pack of free drone plugins :!!!:

Also, paulstretch is good for time stretching stuff. Use it on any sample to create a big fat drone.

I've found that simple synths and plenty of effects is easier for me to use, so I can't give advice on any free synths :/
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear