Computer based ambient drone: Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Computer based ambient drone: Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc.

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:00 am

Chankgeez wrote:That is an interesting thread.

bushel said: "trying a little too hard to appease unreasonable audience opinions and expectations"

:whateva:

I'm of the school that if nothing interesting's happening on stage, I might as well be listening to that music at home. :idk:

I know some people who have the attitude that the "musical" aspect is much more important than the "performance" aspect, but you can't really ignore an audience. Otherwise, what's the point of playing music live in front of people? I think there needs to be a balance.

Yeah while I generally feel you on that, I think it's a little bit of a 2 way street. For example, me hunched over a synthesiser, laptop and push might not look real interesting to the crowd, but I'm challenging the fuck out of myself trying improvise loops in a coherent manner in order to perform for this audience. And when I watch other people do similar things, I definitely appreciate what they are going through. Additionally, I've had gigs/opportunities from playing in the live domain from people who would have had a much narrower chance of encountering my shit with my meager internet presence. And I'm grateful as shit for that.
I feel the way you described most when I see acoustic singer/songwriter/"here's wonderwall" types. But that's a whole different issue...
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:07 am

:lol: I guess I'm less impressed with technology than you are. :hug:

Sit me in front of an orchestra and I'm fine with really not much movement going on before my eyes.

I appreciate people working to get sounds, but I also appreciate a "good" (I guess you could read that as "active") performance.

FWIW, this may not really be an appropriate thread for me to post in.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ev_O))) » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:14 am

Chankgeez wrote::lol: I guess I'm less impressed with technology than you are. :hug:

Sit me in front of an orchestra and I'm fine with really not much movement going on before my eyes.

I appreciate people working to get sounds, but I also appreciate a "good" (I guess you could read that as "active") performance.

FWIW, this may not really be an appropriate thread for me to post in.

Nah fuck that it's the perfect thread, considering that 90% of the audience would be on your boat. And like, I definitely have more "FUN" at more swingin gigs where I can have a few drinks and a boogie and shit, but I equally enjoy a more immersive sound experience.

Osc I'm reading that thread atm and there's a heap of mad info and stuff in there. I had no idea that forum even existed.
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby spacelordmother » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 am

Lines forum is full of really smart and thoughtful people. Not a very fun place to hang out though. :)
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby oscillateur » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:08 am

The fact that looking at someone turning knobs and pressing buttons is not that interesting for a part of the audience is one of the reasons why having video artists playing at the same time is often a good idea. I remember when I played that the Bent Festival in NY in 2009 there were artists making live video for every musician (except those who didn't want it, obviously). And at local modular-based music concerts there are also usually people making live (modular) video.

And obviously some electronic artists also take care very well of the video side themselves (Ryoji Ikeda, Alva Noto, etc.).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:51 am

You could also play in total darkness (like hecker) or be on twitter during your gig (also hecker, allegedly :lol: )

I am somewhat in chanks camp except that I dig this sort of stuff coming out of a PA as much as I do headphones. Provided, of course, that it's good.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Yeah, that's why I have a huge-ass P.A. system set up in my living room. :D

Definitely not into people being up on a stage just pressing buttons. Any additional elements that may draw listeners in's always a plus in my book.

:thumb: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Basinski had some funny commentary on this subject in one of his interviews. Glenn Gould hated playing concerts because he thought it became like a spectator sport.

I like seeing this stuff live for the very purposes of hearing it through an awesome PA. HNW lends itself well to loud highly tweak able PA systems.

I wish I was able to see Zbigniew Karkowski before he passed. He played through a laptop and apparently the word 'intense' should be reserved for one of his concerts.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:54 pm

One of our former posters did a set with Karkowski that was pretty rad:
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=38359&p=739412

I think Basinski is the performer I've seen live who was most "I'd kind of rather listen to this at home" that I've seen. Mostly because it wasn't loud enough. Lovely performance though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 pm

oh yeahhh this stuff is all about that loud pa thumping in chest vibe when experienced live. used to hate people with computers on stage, but this thread helped me appreciate that kind of thing. sound definittely needs to be on point tho. I'd be so bummed if I saw basinski and it wasn't loud enough :cry: @
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:41 pm

D.o.S. wrote:One of our former posters did a set with Karkowski that was pretty rad:
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=38359&p=739412

I think Basinski is the performer I've seen live who was most "I'd kind of rather listen to this at home" that I've seen. Mostly because it wasn't loud enough. Lovely performance though.

Thanks for sharing, regarding Karkowski that is awesome. His music is very special to me.

Regarding Basinski...that is a real shame. I think his work has gotten better and better recently (I love the old material but his past two albums are just so magnificent).

If anyone is into Russell Haswell, the whole point of his earlier work was to deliberately use laptops live and abuse them. LIVE SALVAGE I and II are awesome records for anyone interested in early 2000s laptop noise (like myself). He is quite a character to having been an early adapter of Eurorack (namely the tip top audio drum modules) and ditching the laptop. He has an album that came out this year I am yet to listen to (will post in the 2017 thread).

The first time I saw John Wiese he played with a laptop (sorry to derail, I know this thread was for ambient drone and I am bring up noise)...I literally became the noise during that show...it was transcendental...

Using a laptop does not excuse you from reading the room, actively listening and playing to the acoustics. Last time I saw WOLF EYES (they did not use a laptop obviously) they really played into the room focusing on 'balance' and 'tension'. I think the same is applied for a laptop set.

Please excuse the long post, not trying to sound pretentious... :picard:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am

I missed Haswell at Roadburn last year. It was a bummer, but I can say that my friends were not interested in him at all :lol: They're not really noise people.

Basinski was rad (and the venue was great) and Daniel O'Sullivan played an opening set that was interesting if not necessarily my favorite (embedded a bit below), it was just kind of draining/narcotic (seated show, nice wine, etc). Sunn is the same way for me. Totally agree with you about reading the room, that's kind of part and parcel of playing live.

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

If even one person smashed their laptop at the end of their set I'd be sold on the premise.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby _r_ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Re the laptop thing, someone posted these guys in that other forum, I'm just gonna leave it here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYYI1ii0AU
Fane - folk music from the furthest reaches
_r_

committed
committed

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Good Morning Jobseekers!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear