D*A*M vs Pete Cornish

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: D*A*M vs Pete Cornish

Postby rustywire » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Cornish pedals are prohibitively expensive. Have not played one.

Used a Drag'N'Fly for about a month before recouping what I paid for it.
Had been using a lot of germanium FF and HP-1...and between the 2 was too much overlap to justify keeping it. Wound up using 1 or the other instead of the DNF, for whatever it was I wanted the DNF to do.

[David] def knows how to fuzz though. No doubt about it.
Still want to try a Sonic Titan and like every mk 2 type I see :snax:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Cisco wrote:I see a lot of EGC guitars, Schumman PLL-type stuff, stained hardwood cabs, Dunwich, Electric and Verellen amps, Model T's, uninhabitable rooms stuffed floor to ceiling with amps and cabinets, unobtainium pedals/outboard stuff posted on this site. "Disposable income", "expensive" etc are all relative, personal and subjective terms.

you're right, and as people who haven't tried Cornish pedals we're gonna be dubious and go off his current prices, but the dude charges almost 500 pounds for an A/B box :lol: shouldn't need to say much more than 'fuck that'.
it was never just Gilmour, plenty of cool touring bands used to have full-on Cornish system boards, i'm sure they're extremely reliable.

DAM builds a bunch of boutique fuzzes, Cornish builds boutique unity gain buffers and has a muff clone in one of them. no real comparison to make.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The_Active_Conundrum » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Pete Cornish could probably fart in a box and sell it as tourgrade to some idiot.

I respect the man for doing what he did when there was such a need. But now there's better options.
Great dealings with: ryan summit, UncleGrandfather, Pizza, hbombgraphics, dangergirlstarship, Clockworker, kosta
The_Active_Conundrum

experienced
experienced

Postby O Drones » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:47 pm

Behringer
O Drones

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Cisco » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:57 pm

The_Active_Conundrum wrote:
I respect the man for doing what he did when there was such a need. But now there's better options.

Same can be said for makers that knockoff Travis Bean guitars, Telcasters, Jaguars, tube amps, synth-modules, anything really.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Cisco wrote:I don't give two-squirts about Pink Floyd.

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MEC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Cisco wrote:
The_Active_Conundrum wrote:I respect the man for doing what he did when there was such a need. But now there's better options.

Same can be said for makers that knockoff Travis Bean guitars, Telcasters, Jaguars, tube amps, synth-modules, anything really.

This doesn't make sense. :?:

The_Active_Condom is saying that in the 70's the stuff Cornish was doing was respectable,
innovative and filled a void and therefore could command the large asking price at that time.

Now with improved technology and more competition, you can get the same quality as
Cornish for a much lower price.

As far as Telecasters, Jaguars, tube amps & synth-modules go, the current knockoffs of the
same or better quality are most often sold for more than what Fender etc. is charging.

The Travis Bean thing is a little more unique and would be more comparable if Cornish
were dead and someone was making officially licensed product under his name. :idk:
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby Cisco » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:36 pm

What I meant is that a telecaster or a tube amp, or an aluminum necked guitar is very old tech. Yet there are countless makers charging premiums for building them when there are objectively better, less expensive options out there. The rest is subjective.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby backwardsvoyager » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Cisco wrote:What I meant is that a telecaster or a tube amp, or an aluminum necked guitar is very old tech. Yet there are countless makers charging premiums for building them when there are objectively better, less expensive options out there. The rest is subjective.

I still don't really get that. What would you define as being objectively better and cheaper tech than tube amps and aluminium guitars? Wooden guitars are even older tech and i can't think of much happening yet in the composite material area for inexpensive decent guitars. And with amps I mean the cutting edge digital stuff like Kemper and Axe FX is all just as expensive as uber boutique tube amps, i prefer solid state amps to tube amps personally but even then there's been very little innovation for guitar/bass in that area since the 70s.
When looking at objective points you can't really just use the word 'better' because that means different things to different people in situations like this.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Cisco » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:12 pm

But isn't an axe fX a better deal? It would render all my amps, pedals and cabs obsolete. Any amp pedal or cab I want at any time.....and I or anyone else can have it for the price of a single tube amp. Isn't this objectively "better"?

I'm really just playing devil's advocate here.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:13 pm

I know some cats that swear by AxeFX.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Cisco » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Me too. But I'm not remotely interested. I'll assume most here aren't either.
Cisco

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:23 pm

It's probably tilted more towards "not interested" than 'swear by it', for sure.

I'm still trying to figure out where the 'vs' is coming from, tbh.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Cisco wrote:But isn't an axe fX a better deal? It would render all my amps, pedals and cabs obsolete. Any amp pedal or cab I want at any time.....and I or anyone else can have it for the price of a single tube amp. Isn't this objectively "better"?

I'm really just playing devil's advocate here.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and ask then why you have all your amps, pedals, and cabs, and not just an Axe FX?
Again - you're right, that is a better deal for yourself and most others. I'm interested in the Axe FX for example, and would happily try to transition over to that if i could get one, but for me personally I deliberately use a quite limited variety of amps and pedals that even combined would cost less than an Axe FX and be more intuitive to use without needing to buy additional external control peripherals. So it's not really better for everyone.
'Objectively' it is more portable, has a much higher functionality to cost ratio, wider frequency response, etc. I would argue that 'better' is a far more abstract term than that, if it was well and truly 'better' then there would be no logical reason for most people to not transition to using one and there are still legitimate reasons to avoid doing so on top of people being purists/snobs etc.
What were we talking about again? :lol:

D.o.S. wrote:I'm still trying to figure out where the 'vs' is coming from, tbh.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Cisco » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I don't have an axe fX for the same reason most people here don't. Like I said, just playing devil's advocate.

One thing I don't get though is why a community that (for the most part) celebrates the builders of, and is willing to drop major coin on, custom amps, aluminum guitars, synth stuff that costs more than my truck and weird, glitchy tabletop noisemakers would begrudge guys like Cornish, Roger Mayer etc, for charging premium prices for their wares.
Cisco

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear