Are all Muffs noisy as hell?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Are all Muffs noisy as hell?

Postby plaidbeer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:56 am

I just bought a Tone Wicker and it's the noisiest pedal I've ever used. It's noisy whether it's on the pedalboard or by itself just going straight into the amp. Lots of buzzing even when not being played. Is this normal? It's unusably noisy when paired with other pedals, yet nothing else in the chain makes such a stink when used with the other pedals.

I'm using a Squier JMJM and going into a Pathfinder 15r (which is set for clean and no dirt). The only thing I've found that decreases the noise is to almost completely roll back the tone knob down to nothing on the JM.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Re: Are all Muffs noisy as hell?

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 am

No, although it is a fairly gainy pedal (to the shock of noone ever)
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:15 am

How are you powering it?
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby rustywire » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 am

All Muffs? No.
FWIW the Tonewicker Muff I had was idle-noisy as a Harmonic Percolator...not sure if coincidence or par for the course with that circuit revision. My v6 doesn't behave like that at all. The v4 and v7 I had didn't either.
Try using a cable with robust insulation, connecting guitar to the pedal...and powering it off a battery. Any change?
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:19 am

digi2t wrote:How are you powering it?

Totally this. Also it depends on the quality of the build and so many other details. I've had muffs that pick up radio stations, and others that are close to dead quiet. You might want to check out some of the small-builder versions of the muff - there are plenty out there that build muff circuits with tone-wicker-y functionality.
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 am

None of mine are what I would consider noisy at all, but these are mostly early vintage units and are running off batteries.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:47 am

Many times, noise problems lead back to the power supply. If you could do an A/B test powering it by battery, and then power supply, you'll be able to hear if the power supply is the cause of the noise. Do the test with the pedal alone, not in a chain with other pedals, and see if there is a difference.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby plaidbeer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 pm

digi2t wrote:Many times, noise problems lead back to the power supply. If you could do an A/B test powering it by battery, and then power supply, you'll be able to hear if the power supply is the cause of the noise. Do the test with the pedal alone, not in a chain with other pedals, and see if there is a difference.

Tested both ways earlier this morning. When it's on the board, it's being powered by a PowerAll. I then took it off the board and just used battery power. Same results.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby sonidero » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Sounds like a dud, hopefully you can return it... Wickers are not that popular and is my least favorite version... If you wanna stay cheap check out the Little Big Muff, it sounds like a Muff...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby guitarslinger21 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Sounds like yours is broken.

I've powered tons of muffs many different ways, and I've never had a problem.
isolated supply
ac adaptor
battery
daisy chain
etc.
WTB: Basic Audio Kay Fuzz
guitarslinger21

committed
committed

Postby MaxFischer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:20 pm

My BM w/TW is fairly noisy as well, has always been whatever the power source, fx chain or amp. The noise level is alright for me with the wicker set to off, I kinda like feeding the noise into other boxes ... though maybe yours is much noisier? :idk:
MaxFischer

interested
interested

Postby DarkAxel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:12 pm

Tone Wicker is super noisy in my experience as well
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bobcunningham » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 pm

I've owned a vintage muff, 2 black russian muffs, and a nyc muff. All were fairly quite. I've also owned a pharaoh, a LSTR, and a Hoof, all of which were dead quiet.
excellent transactions with: onelouderash, GiAnt_ROboT, Raintes, kbithecrowing, in2thegapagain85, MEC, Grrface, hbombgraphics, pena_55
bobcunningham

involved
involved

Postby plaidbeer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just return it since the noise level is ridiculous.

I used to use a Bass Big Muff that was driven by an OD-3 and had great results. I would have gotten a BBM, but I already feel that the JMJM has enough low end. I just wanted something (fuzz-ish) to maybe pair with the OD-3 and the Rat clone. Something that would handle chords well and not be super expensive.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 am

I know BBMs are not favoured around here, but check out the Deluxe Bass Big Muff. Aside from clean blend and crossover which gives you two different distorted sounds it has a rather well done noise gate AND the distortion itself seemed better than on the basic BBM to me (compared side-by-side) :idk:

more clarity but still sounded ballsy. Not as ballsy as other, better muffs maybe, but it is a sort of... Safe Big Muff with which you won't be noisy and not lose as much low end i guess
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear