Pittsburgh modular Patch Box

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Pittsburgh modular Patch Box

Postby Strange Tales » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Dandolin wrote:Necro rising!

So, any competitors to the PMPB show their face?

Don't see a lot of deals on these, new or used, but I'm increasingly of the opinion I need Clouds and maybe the 4MS Spectral Processor, in my rig stat-ish, and this seems to be the most sensible way to get there, no? I realize it's an investment, but if I could find a way to get the total outlay for those under a grand, I might just be able to sell off enough to get there....

Something like this? No.

You could just get a larger rack and add an External Envelope Follower and Output module though and go with a lot more than two things.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Dandolin wrote:Necro rising!

So, any competitors to the PMPB show their face?

Don't see a lot of deals on these, new or used, but I'm increasingly of the opinion I need Clouds and maybe the 4MS Spectral Processor, in my rig stat-ish, and this seems to be the most sensible way to get there, no? I realize it's an investment, but if I could find a way to get the total outlay for those under a grand, I might just be able to sell off enough to get there....

I was in the same boat and wanted to have portable clouds and a phonogene too to integrate into my guitar setups. I think an empty Patch Box plus clouds is like 700 and there are usually at least 10% off deals to be found pretty easily if you're buying new. For instance, I'll load up either clouds or phonogene along with a Pittsburgh Detekt and SSF Ultra-Random and along with two expression pedals things can get pretty crazy....i guess it depends on what all you're wanting to do but that's a pretty awesome portable setup for using in a guitar rig for me. I think Ultra-Random retails for $300 so with Patch Box and clouds you're at $1,000 and with a 10% discount you can add a Detekt and still be under $1,000.

One thing I've had a problem with is the powersupply that came with the Patch Box. I don't know why but when I use that powersupply oftentimes I'll get oscillator bleed even with nothing patched? I used the powersupply that came with one of my Make Noise Skiff's with the Patchbox and there is no more noise. For awhile it seemed to depend on what modules I had in the Patch Box, but swapping the powersupply took care of the problem for good. So, maybe factor in the price of a better powersupply too if you get a Patch Box.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks UG--you da man. I'll check out the Detekt and Ultra-Random. I was figuring on using the Moog stuff I have for voltages (CP-251 AND MP-201), but it may be better, and more compact to go with some modules to get movement....

And thanks Strange Tales, I am still considering a tabletop config as well....
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby TheStevenLasombras » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm

My Patch Box solution, since I tried the R51 with guitar and loved it... Patch the Wow & Flutter ENV output to the R51 for that strangled effect, or patch an LFO to the VCA input for dirty tremolo action. :!!!:
KRUDLER on Bandcamp for all your noise rock & cinematic synth needs
TOTHENECK on Instagram for recording snippets, artwork, etc.
TheStevenLasombras

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear