The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby Dandolin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:46 pm

:lol: :smoky: :lol:

thanks for bein' my fact checkin' cuz :)* :thumb:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:51 pm

You'd think since ERBs have been pretty a known thing since mid-late-90s that there would be more pickup options by now.. Finding 7 string bass pickup options is not very easy.. there are 2 brands you can get readily and then? I'm sending inquiries to Curtis Novak [high doubts he'd even want to..] and Aero to see.. fall back seems to be Bartolini but with them you NEED a pre because their pickups are so not very loud..
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 am

Blackened Soul wrote:You'd think since ERBs have been pretty a known thing since mid-late-90s that there would be more pickup options by now.. Finding 7 string bass pickup options is not very easy.. there are 2 brands you can get readily and then? I'm sending inquiries to Curtis Novak [high doubts he'd even want to..] and Aero to see.. fall back seems to be Bartolini but with them you NEED a pre because their pickups are so not very loud..

wouldnt an active be preferable for more than 5 strings? I could live only playing passives but for that frequency range I feel it would beless than ideal. You could always get a nice pre like a john east, it just sounds good not släbbity släbb am is Fieldy

Thinking of stratting up caue I want a guitar with a vibrato for sane people. I wanna go for this design but I dont know if it has any benefits to have a neck hummie other than purely for aesthetics
stratmang.png
stratmang.png (66.56 KiB) Viewed 2212 times

Also important: the jack plate gotta be a black square like the old stratoblasters cause it looks sick
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Eristic » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:43 am

Blackened Soul wrote:You'd think since ERBs have been pretty a known thing since mid-late-90s that there would be more pickup options by now.. Finding 7 string bass pickup options is not very easy.. there are 2 brands you can get readily and then? I'm sending inquiries to Curtis Novak [high doubts he'd even want to..] and Aero to see.. fall back seems to be Bartolini but with them you NEED a pre because their pickups are so not very loud..

I've had "traditional" Barts in two different 7s (plus a bunch of 4s and 5s), they're great pickups if you know you like the Bart thing, if you don't you can never completely get away from, though using non-Bart preamps with them does help. The B-Axis otoh are kind of halfway between the classic Bart vibe and a great passive, but dunno if they're offering them in ERB.

My current 7 has a passive Kent Armstrong MM-style that sounds killer, they'll do pretty much anything custom order afaIk. Carey Nordstrand has also built them for his own 7s, but I don't know if he'll do it for aftermarket. Villex and Delano will make them, too, I think, but probably crazy expensive.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 am

qersty wrote:Thinking of stratting up caue I want a guitar with a vibrato for sane people. I wanna go for this design but I dont know if it has any benefits to have a neck hummie other than purely for aesthetics

It may just be my overreaction to getting into guitar in the 80s and the ubiquity of Strats with bridge humbuckers back then, but, yeah, neck ‘bucker on Strats. Bridge may blend better with the Strat pickups because physics brighten up and thins out the humbucker, but I don’t dig fighting the physics of the positions and averaging out to lukewarm water. But if you want more tonal range, I would do neck humbucker for ultra fat in contrast with the bridge single coil and the neck-bridge combo. Oh, and I would wire the bridge pickup on the middle of the five-way, so it’s neck-and-bridge rather than neck-and-middle for more of a Tele Deluxe thing.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:46 am

Gone Fission wrote:
qersty wrote:Thinking of stratting up caue I want a guitar with a vibrato for sane people. I wanna go for this design but I dont know if it has any benefits to have a neck hummie other than purely for aesthetics

It may just be my overreaction to getting into guitar in the 80s and the ubiquity of Strats with bridge humbuckers back then, but, yeah, neck ‘bucker on Strats. Bridge may blend better with the Strat pickups because physics brighten up and thins out the humbucker, but I don’t dig fighting the physics of the positions and averaging out to lukewarm water. But if you want more tonal range, I would do neck humbucker for ultra fat in contrast with the bridge single coil and the neck-bridge combo. Oh, and I would wire the bridge pickup on the middle of the five-way, so it’s neck-and-bridge rather than neck-and-middle for more of a Tele Deluxe thing.

Yeah I thought of the tele thing too but doing a blend so you can have just a lil humbucker, i think that may actually be useful for something. Something about it is appealing, looks kinda wayne kramer too
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 am

rotate the humbucker 180 degrees so the poles are in the correct harmonic position, get a splittable 'bucker, and have the best of both worlds. well, more or less. probably works better with a Tele because it's a hotter bridge pickup. you might want to consider matching the relative output, because a 8.5k PAF will totally overwhelm a 6.5-7k Strat pickup. i wonder how a PAF would like a Tele circuit with 1k pots?
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby qersty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:55 pm

oh.. yeah.. thats a realization. I hate it when pickups dont match. might try swapping the bridge and neck on my duo sonic to see how terrible it is
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby qersty » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:50 pm

yup, awful
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Blackened Soul » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:02 am

The Eristic wrote:

I've had "traditional" Barts in two different 7s (plus a bunch of 4s and 5s), they're great pickups if you know you like the Bart thing, if you don't you can never completely get away from, though using non-Bart preamps with them does help. The B-Axis otoh are kind of halfway between the classic Bart vibe and a great passive, but dunno if they're offering them in ERB.

My current 7 has a passive Kent Armstrong MM-style that sounds killer, they'll do pretty much anything custom order afaIk. Carey Nordstrand has also built them for his own 7s, but I don't know if he'll do it for aftermarket. Villex and Delano will make them, too, I think, but probably crazy expensive.

:idk: im more just seeing what else is out there and is the fall back, I've used barts for a long time... Aero got back to me.. They are very... Full of them selves.... I'm still a ways from underway though who knows were this will end up. Right mow i have a conklin groovetools neck, tuners and a bridge on order....
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:22 am

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:12 pm

not gonna be a guinea pig for a potential source of brain cancer. nopenopeNOPE.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Weird thing to have an issue with, I know, but my Bliss Factory is really hard to keep from being out of control or very close. Any Fuzz Factory (or Bliss Factory) tips of note for also having more conventional sounds out of these guys?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:51 am

Iirc: Keep stability dimed, and it stays fairly vanilla. Use the gate if it's overly noisy.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Dowi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 am

Someone with a pedaltrain classic jr/1/2 or a palmer pedalbay 40/60 can please tell me if my og POG could fit underneath it? it's 20x17x4cm.
Planning to reduce my board size but that thing is huge so i'd rather command it with a remote switch and place it somewhere under.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear