The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby Dandolin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:22 am

coy boy Chanks :lol:

terminology becomes a minefield
frequency shifting can be seen as the same thing as single sideband modulation, which is derived from amplitude modulation a/k/a ring modulation
frequency modulation is kinda like amplitude modulation in gross terms, but involves varying frequency information as opposed to amplitude (volume) information.
as i understand it, all of this stuff was developed and first used in radio transmission and telephony before it got ported over to synthesis by early electronic music pioneers. From there it gradually trickled down to guitard luddites until here we are, sorta kinda.

As far as your question, in addition to the Arcing Prisms, check out the Alexander Syntax Error (frequency shifter), EHX Ring Thing in SSB mode (frequency shifting), Catalinbread Bicycle Delay (frequency modulation on repeats), Frayed Knot Electronics Belladonna (also frequency mod on repeats) - sensing a theme here? A lot of these pedals are implementing frequency mod or frequency shifting on delay repeats, I guess because that seems like a way to make this more appealing to buyers :idk: lickle bells ring ting tinkling away behind your highly serious guitar'ings :lol:

Also - as you probs realize, Arcing Prisms is implementing frequency shifting and comb filtering (no freqmod tho) on delay repeats.... :snax:

Note: FM synthesis is frequently (haha) actually phase modulation, including in most Yamahas which are at the top of the heap in terms of FM synthesis sales and influence historically.

Iron Ether has an FM synth pedal, as I'm sure you know, the FMeron, which is basically a 2 op FM synth or, in other words, a Frequency Modulator.... While it can produce tones quite reminiscent of FM synths (especially on bass signals), it has a rep for being touchy and creating harsh noises that frustrate many users that thought they were buying the bottom two or three octaves of a DX7. :/
OTOH, I freaking love it, since these "noisy" settings are basically what you get, and I largely want, from a frequency modulator.

So, you may, or may not, want to check that one out too/instead.

Also, the Line 6 MM4 and M series pedals have an algo that sports both amplitude and frequency mod if you want to check that out (M5s go pretty damn cheap over here).
:idk: whether Line 6 continued that in the Helix or whatever else they've been doing since the M series 'cause i can't be arsed to care.
also, i can't remember if Zoom threw some freqmod in the multistomps, but maybe if i stop feeling so logy later on i'll shift myself to look in a manual, though i don't really think it's in there.
same same, i think, for Boss (though i also wouldn't be surprised if they threw it in given the synthesis lineage with Roland/Boss) and Digitech's RP series.

Did i miss anything?
Probs :lol: :facepalm: hopefully somebody chimes (haha) in to correct my bleary ass, cuz this is one of my fav'ritest areas of Effexorland and i wanna know :snax: :snax:
Last edited by Dandolin on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 am

:thumb: :)* much more thorough than my response :lol: :hug: :D
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:26 pm

apologies if this is old news because CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/23/entertai ... index.html
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Anyone tried that Champion Leccy stuff? WOOZY looks ace and I've been wondering about a more out there vibrato/chorus than what I have

And the skitter seems amaze though much less use to me when I have a reverb and tremolo that sound great together. But the features are pretty sweet
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Dandolin wrote:coy boy Chanks :lol:

terminology becomes a minefield
frequency shifting can be seen as the same thing as single sideband modulation, which is derived from amplitude modulation a/k/a ring modulation
frequency modulation is kinda like amplitude modulation in gross terms, but involves varying frequency information as opposed to amplitude (volume) information.
as i understand it, all of this stuff was developed and first used in radio transmission and telephony before it got ported over to synthesis by early electronic music pioneers. From there it gradually trickled down to guitard luddites until here we are, sorta kinda.

As far as your question, in addition to the Arcing Prisms, check out the Alexander Syntax Error (frequency shifter), EHX Ring Thing in SSB mode (frequency shifting), Catalinbread Bicycle Delay (frequency modulation on repeats), Frayed Knot Electronics Belladonna (also frequency mod on repeats) - sensing a theme here? A lot of these pedals are implementing frequency mod or frequency shifting on delay repeats, I guess because that seems like a way to make this more appealing to buyers :idk: lickle bells ring ting tinkling away behind your highly serious guitar'ings :lol:

Also - as you probs realize, Arcing Prisms is implementing frequency shifting and comb filtering (no freqmod tho) on delay repeats.... :snax:

Note: FM synthesis is frequently (haha) actually phase modulation, including in most Yamahas which are at the top of the heap in terms of FM synthesis sales and influence historically.

Iron Ether has an FM synth pedal, as I'm sure you know, the FMeron, which is basically a 2 op FM synth or, in other words, a Frequency Modulator.... While it can produce tones quite reminiscent of FM synths (especially on bass signals), it has a rep for being touchy and creating harsh noises that frustrate many users that thought they were buying the bottom two or three octaves of a DX7. :/
OTOH, I freaking love it, since these "noisy" settings are basically what you get, and I largely want, from a frequency modulator.

So, you may, or may not, want to check that one out too/instead.

Also, the Line 6 MM4 and M series pedals have an algo that sports both amplitude and frequency mod if you want to check that out (M5s go pretty damn cheap over here).
:idk: whether Line 6 continued that in the Helix or whatever else they've been doing since the M series 'cause i can't be arsed to care.
also, i can't remember if Zoom threw some freqmod in the multistomps, but maybe if i stop feeling so logy later on i'll shift myself to look in a manual, though i don't really think it's in there.
same same, i think, for Boss (though i also wouldn't be surprised if they threw it in given the synthesis lineage with Roland/Boss) and Digitech's RP series.

Did i miss anything?
Probs :lol: :facepalm: hopefully somebody chimes (haha) in to correct my bleary ass, cuz this is one of my fav'ritest areas of Effexorland and i wanna know :snax: :snax:

This are the droids i was looking for. :ewok:
Thanks Dandolin. :hug:
I realized that i have explained me wrong, i'm primarly looking for frequency shifting, those pure clean metallic/resonant tones. . Also, i should have mentioned that i tried some of those too:
- Syntax Error: played wth it before sending it for Santana to Eivind last year, it does some freq modulation and it's definitely more focused on the dirty/lo-fi side of
- Bicycle Delay: got it and sold it. Overall really nice sounding as a delay but It was really hard to find the sweet spot cause those knobs have a real wide range.

Never tried the Ring Thing but i was never really pumped by any demo of it, gonna look at it again with more attention.
The Arcing Prisms is the one that appelaed me the most because i could use it with or without delay line - and my main purpose is to use it as pure freq shifter, with no delay involved, and its functionality and form factor seemed really good to me.
Some months ago i tried to gather the most infos i could find about the Belladonna, which seemed really cool but difficult to buy, but now i see there's a Reverb shop active., also i am reading that apparently it also works too as direct modulator if the repeats are set to zero, never noticed that, definitely wirth a deeper look. :thumb:

Re- the Zoom MS70: i have it but never found anything worthy in that aera except standard ring mod sounds.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:29 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Anyone tried that Champion Leccy stuff? WOOZY looks ace and I've been wondering about a more out there vibrato/chorus than what I have

And the skitter seems amaze though much less use to me when I have a reverb and tremolo that sound great together. But the features are pretty sweet

The Skitter has a nice concept overall, but as you said i couldn't see any reason to have it instead of the standard rev+trem combination. But i have to say that it's very original and the combinations are quite unique. :cool:

Woozy is ACE. I had it, Two times. Sold it the first time to fund an amp, bought it again, then sold it the second time when i downsized everything some months ago, but if it wasn't for that zen-like-phase i'd still have it. You can use it as a "standard" vibrato or chorus (with various waveshapes), or use the delay knobs and make it a resonance machine that goes anywhere from small reverb reflections to total delayed signal destruction. I loved it. Actually i'm missing it again now that i'm thinking about it. :no:
Never had much use of the tap tempo switch (wchich commands the modulation rate, not the delay tempo), but that's because i like my modulation to be always quite random or suuuuuupwer.slow, anyway that's another useful feature if you want to sync the modulation to your playing.

God now i want one again.
:picard:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:03 pm

you're selling it you're selling it

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 pm

i'm keeping it
woozy and a fettle and a divvy, which i like all tho not necessarily in that order.

even tho the skitter has a couple of trix that aren't just trem into verb or trem on tail, they aren't distinctive enough to get me to bite :idk:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:16 am

That's how I felt about the skitter too. Those extra tricks are cool but probably not worth getting a whole pedal for

I make music sometimes:

coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:20 am

Speaking of Leccy - he once made a few protos of stacked Divvys which were super cool. I always felt my v1 lived to stack (I mean it's a Harmonic Perc harnessed to boost-level gain and less apparent high end than most takes). It's great as a big dark(ish) boost, but it really roars with the Fettle stacked into it....

Anyway, bc i was lucky enough to have Chanks watchin' my back, i got to try out some of these Divvy-stack proto pedals by Wooly - and one of the units had a Divvy into his version of an Acapulco Gold in it - and that thing :eek: :love: Amazing roar :doom:

I don't think he ended up following that lead further, tho he later developed the Divvvy itself to be more like other Percs. The thing that stuck with me tho was how great the Divvy and AG sounded together.

So, I guess, what are everybody's feels about the Acapulco Gold these days? :snax: It seemed to crop up a lot on people's boards and in discussion for a while, and then later on in the B/S/T, but I don't think I've noticed too too much about it lately.

Anybody still have love for it? If not, what did you move on to?

Last edited by Dandolin on Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 am

Dowi wrote:
Dandolin wrote:maybe take a few weeks off, then do a shoot-out? :hug:

:thumb:
Will do. I do not intend to leave anything unexplored, I want to be 100% sure if I decide to either keep it or not.

UPDATE: i'm having so much fun jamming with the Fabrikat this week, found some new settings and just enjoying how good it sounds in any possible combination, i might consider keeping it for realz. :erm: :idk:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 am

:)*
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:00 am

Dandolin wrote:Speaking of Leccy - ... and one of the units had a Divvy and his version of an into Acapulco Gold in it - and that thing :eek: :love: Amazing roar :doom:

I don't think he ended up following that lead further, tho he later developed the Divvvy itself to be more like other Percs. The thing that stuck with me tho was how great the Divvy and AG sounded together.

Yeah, that thing was :rock: :!!!: :doom:

Woolly likes to mess around with different circuits. They don't always make it into production. He has lots of great ideas though. :idea: :snax: :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:10 am

for sure :)* my eyes are perma-peeled on his workshop :love: :lol:

anyway - also keeping my eye on LM386-based distortions cuz i seem to really enjoy them, including the Acapulco Gold, various other Sunn-tique pedals, Sonic Titan, #rip, what have you. :snax: :love:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:30 pm

Dandolin wrote:for sure :)* my eyes are perma-peeled on his workshop :love: :lol:

anyway - also keeping my eye on LM386-based distortions cuz i seem to really enjoy them, including the Acapulco Gold, various other Sunn-tique pedals, Sonic Titan, #rip, what have you. :snax: :love:

Penny Pedals Fingerprint (though he used the NJM386 and found it was noticeably better in that circuit), the Experimentalists Anonymous Parallel Universe, and Fuzzhugger Phantom Octave are all 386-based. Oh, and Smoky Amps, which for me are instant “Touch Me I’m Sick.”
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear