FLANGERS

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: FLANGERS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:44 pm

kbithecrowing wrote:So I want to get a flanger for frozen flange filter type effects, Electric Mistress and MXR 117 are both contenders.

Anyone compared the frozen flange sounds on these two?

Does anyone know of any other flangers that disengage the lfo?

if you're just looking for that comb filter effect a LAL misty cave would do the trick very nicely, still has an LFO which can't be disengaged but works differently to a flanger, might be better or worse depending on what you're after
BF-2 freezes with the rate and depth turned all the way down, definitely on the more subtle side but a really usable effect and not expensive
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Yeah misty cave looks awesome but might be too rich for my blood. I'd possibly consider the bf2 but I'd like extreme and subtle sounds. Im using digital delays on their short settings for this kind of resonance but I know flangers have a smaller delay range which makes them appealing.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:40 pm

I'd go for the misty cave way before I went for the electric mistress. I have had mine for ten+ years and the filter matrix setting doesn't sound that good to me. It's just kind of muddy and not as cool as what i though it should sound like. Misty cave is its own monster though but it is a great pedal. The only word i can thing to describe it is organic. The lfo is a hard gate and barely noticable sometimes (and other tines really noticable). I haven't used the mx though.

There is the moog cluster flux but that is real expensive.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby GardenoftheDead » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:11 pm

BF-2 is all I need
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:47 pm

I mean, flanger hoax is king. It does your fixed sounds and everything else ever, but I got rid of mine because it's insanely complicated. Maybe that was a mistake because holy crap it does everything.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Clockworker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 pm

PanicProne wrote:Talk to Ian/Gigaheartz and have him build you a Lovetone ?. There's no way you'll regret it.
Don't know who that is, but if he's someone who can build Lovetone stuff I want to know him.
Good experiences buying from: DannDubbleEwe, The_Active_Conundrum, bob_the_r0bot, benjuro, casecandy, Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Good experiences trading with: cpoppell
Clockworker

committed
committed

Postby tuj » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Ian seems pretty busy right now...but maybe he'll chime in.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I thought he wasn't offering the lovetone clones anymore because of the time/difficulty involved?
I was super interested in asking him to build one for a while but even a clone of the flanger is way way expensive (and rightfully so if you look at the build).
I think it would be awesome if someone adapted that circuit into a simpler pedal.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Infanem was working on one, but I don't know what happened to that. I was going to mention the flanger hoax, but I have never used it.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kbit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:40 pm

monkeydancer wrote:I mean, flanger hoax is king. It does your fixed sounds and everything else ever, but I got rid of mine because it's insanely complicated. Maybe that was a mistake because holy crap it does everything.

Yeah I used to have one but that was a while ago. I don't even remember anything about it haha.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:56 pm

well i was just about to order a Tunnelworm seeing as it seemed pretty different to the stuff i've tried so far
but I impulse bought a Strymon Deco instead
so there's that
i'll post my thought about it when it arrives and i can compare it to other flangers and stuff
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 pm

For anyone looking for a great Electric Mistress clone I'd suggest Ian / Gigahearts, I have one and it sounds better than any other Electric Mistress type flanger I've tried so far, I think he's still got one up in the B/S/T for a steal.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:11 pm

backwardsvoyager wrote:well i was just about to order a Tunnelworm seeing as it seemed pretty different to the stuff i've tried so far
so there's that
i'll post my thought about it when it arrives and i can compare it to other flangers and stuff

I almost got a tunnel worm too but I didn't think it would be flexible/fun enough (based on experienoes with the dark echo, supermoon, and thunderclaw). Mr. Black stuff is built really nice and they work well but they never do anything but what they are supposed to. I guess I mean that they are just kinda boring. It will sound good but it will only have that sound and they aren't that expressive. Don't know if any of this makes sense.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
backwardsvoyager wrote:well i was just about to order a Tunnelworm seeing as it seemed pretty different to the stuff i've tried so far
so there's that

I almost got a tunnel worm too but I didn't think it would be flexible/fun enough (based on experienoes with the dark echo, supermoon, and thunderclaw). Mr. Black stuff is built really nice and they work well but they never do anything but what they are supposed to. I guess I mean that they are just kinda boring. It will sound good but it will only have that sound and they aren't that expressive. Don't know if any of this makes sense.

i get what you mean. 3 knobs isn't enough for a flanger for me personally anyway (especially a TZF), it sounded really nice in demos but the limited-ness made me think i'd be more likely to end up flipping it.
the strymon at least obviously does a lot of stuff (short delay, vibrato, saturation, has a blend knob) so it's only gonna come down to how it sits with my setup tonally with that one i think.
what'd you think of the Thunderclaw? i've been kinda interested in that.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm

Clockworker wrote:
PanicProne wrote:Talk to Ian/Gigaheartz and have him build you a Lovetone ?. There's no way you'll regret it.
Don't know who that is, but if he's someone who can build Lovetone stuff I want to know him.

Hi

Tuj is correct however
I am known for my lovtone clones....
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear