Way Huge Red Llama anyone?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Way Huge Red Llama anyone?

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm after something that, for a change, doesn't sound too extreme or weird. I wanna push my Traynor YA-1 into a higher gear, in a distortion-y sorta way, rather than a muff/tonebender/fuzzface/superfuzz/whatever sorta way. The only dirt pedal I've got left that's not a true fuzz pedal, is a Crowther Hotcake. In front of my Vox, the low/med gain settings sound great, but as far as other amps and settings go...I'd love to try something else :s

Will the Red Llama maybe get me a big, slightly fuzzy tone, that'll still sound thick and shewy? Like I said, I'd put it in front of a crunching Traynor YBA-1.

Not really for other options at this point, I'm just wondering if I should cross the Red Llama of my list :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Way Huge Red Llama anyone?

Postby univalve » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

I have no idea. I tested it and liked it (with headphones and musikmesse). Still want to get one at some point and try it with my stuff...
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mws » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:10 pm

My friend uses it as his main dirt through a '65 DRRI and digs it. Sounds good to me!
mws

involved
involved

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:16 pm

I'm having Micah from Glass Hero build me a version of the Next Distortion X, a CMOS overdrive/distortion similar in design to the Red Llama.

Definitely a differently voiced dirt pedal than most. Not sure when he'll have it done, but I'm really looking forward to it.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby dotlikeimpact » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 pm

All I know is that it's killer in front of an AC30. It's fuzzy, thick, and has good volume knob cleanup (not that I really ever use that, but whatever). It's not terribly high-gain, though.
dotlikeimpact

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:04 am

dotlikeimpact wrote:All I know is that it's killer in front of an AC30. It's fuzzy, thick, and has good volume knob cleanup (not that I really ever use that, but whatever). It's not terribly high-gain, though.

That's good enough for me, I'll keep my eyes open for a used one than, thanks.

I know the Red Llama isn't too high gain by itself, the plan is to put it in front of dirty amps :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby univalve » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 pm

Ok, red llama moved Up on my short List.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Red Llama is a great pedal. I built a clone and loved it. Low gain but thick and has that slight character of fuzz while still being articulate. Kinda like a DOD 250 but slightly different flavor.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby The_Active_Conundrum » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 pm

I keep wanting a Red Llama but with all my other dirt pedals its hard to justify when I need more modulation. I've played one and have to agree with the "kinda like a DOD 250 but slightly different flavor" statement. It'll be fun to have it in the tool box.
Great dealings with: ryan summit, UncleGrandfather, Pizza, hbombgraphics, dangergirlstarship, Clockworker, kosta
The_Active_Conundrum

experienced
experienced

Postby chuckjaywalk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Isn't it based on the Anderton Tube Sound or something? I seem to recall it was...

Anyways, I would consider the Crowther Hot Cake, as well. It is my overdrive/distortion of choice.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:28 pm

Yeah, Red Llama's based on an Anderton design.

Hot Cake's a different type of distortion altogether. I've heard others make it sound good, but I've never gotten along with it myself.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frigid midget » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:55 am

Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on selling my hotcake any time soon. It's a great distortion pedal and all...But just not throughout the full range of the gain control, and it seems to get along best with amps that aren't too dark/bassy :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Yeah, I had a "mid-lift" Hot Cake and only really tolerated it with the mids lifted.

You're right, frig midg, Hot Cakes are really limited in which settings they sound good at. Some people really like what they do, some don't.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Hacken » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I had a clone of a Llama, sounded big, loads of volume.
I sold it cuz it lacked a bit of compression and sustain. It was nice for bass.
Hacken

committed
committed

Return to General Gear