Lava Solderless Cables - Ffffuuuu

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Lava Solderless Cables - Ffffuuuu

Postby Harry_Manback » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:06 pm

These God damn lava mini ELC Solderless cables are pissing me off. Any tips for solid construction? I'm following the youtube instructions and still 75% are shit.

Halp.
Harry_Manback

experienced
experienced

Re: Lava Solderless Cables - Ffffuuuu

Postby misterstomach » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 pm

the first time i built some and wired my board up i had a ton that were shitty, like most of them. i ended up taking the ends off of all of them and trimming them again and checking for shorts and they were fine. just took some practice. usually there ends up being some copper strands that are too long when you're first doing it. trim them tighter than the youtube video suggests. i haven't had problems in several years now and my cables work on the first try now, if that gives you any encouragement. good luck.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:48 am

Fuck solderless, on a positive note, I think you can solder those Lava's too.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AxAxSxS » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:23 am

Tristan wrote:Fuck solderless, on a positive note, I think you can solder those Lava's too.

I would.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:17 am

Tristan wrote:Fuck solderless, on a positive note, I think you can solder those Lava's too.

Not with the same tips. At least, that wouldn't make sense. The space is too tight.

Seriously fuck solderless. I bought a bunch of George L and Lava cables and they sounded really fucking good. I could clearly hear the difference. Then I switch a pedal, then another pedal. Next thing you know, I'm redoing ten patch cables because they don't like being moved or touched at all.

Overpriced. Piss poor design. Overpriced. And did I say over priced?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Eivind August » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:00 pm

^ This is my exact experience as well. Now I use cheap Hosas. Fuck patch cables.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby KaosCill8r » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Soldered cable wins every time. Buy some Mogami cable and a heap of good quality pancake plugs and solder them up yourself. You will never look back. :thumb:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Harry_Manback » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

misterstomach wrote:the first time i built some and wired my board up i had a ton that were shitty, like most of them. i ended up taking the ends off of all of them and trimming them again and checking for shorts and they were fine. just took some practice. usually there ends up being some copper strands that are too long when you're first doing it. trim them tighter than the youtube video suggests. i haven't had problems in several years now and my cables work on the first try now, if that gives you any encouragement. good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation Parker. It did help to trim the copper pretty tight.

That said...I fucked around for two hours last night and was finally able to produce 5 solid and functional cables. Cut, strip, assemble, test, screw, test, fucking doesn't work, repeat. :mad:

My board is cramped so I like the small footprint of the right angle Lava minis. But I rarely mess with it so it may be time to invest in some quality pancake connectors. I just want shit to work.
Harry_Manback

experienced
experienced

Postby KNaB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:33 pm

I don't know the exact issue you're experiencing, but when i first made some, i found that the pin wasn't getting good contact with the cobductor. I push the plug into the cable, then take it out to see where the pin made contact and spread out the conductor strands in the space made by the pin . Push the plug back in and assemble.
KNaB

interested
interested

Postby UnicornTrap » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:43 am

this seems like a repeating thread, but i echo fuck solderless. had 2 different brands and returned em both, they sucked. lava (single point) soldered mini kits have turned out great for me. otherwise i solder my own pancakes. one mini + one pancake in your chain often will give you the clearance needed to make shit fit, in my experience. nothing is worse than re-arranging some pedals to have a couple of cables die
UnicornTrap

committed
committed

Return to General Gear