Vox V8/Straight 6, Experiences?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Vox V8/Straight 6, Experiences?

Postby fldrvr » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Anyone have any experience with either of the vox V8 or Straight 6 "Tone Garage" pedals?

I'm running a JC 120 and am currently using a Blackstar DistX to give it some tubey tone. I run the gain low on DistX, and it sounds great if a little too scooped.

I'm specificaly interested in high-voltage tube pedals, and Vox claims the tubes in these operate at 200V.

Any experiences you could share would be appreciated, especially if you've owned other high-volatge tube distortions and have compared.

Thanks ILF!!
Good deals: Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000 (x2), kbithecrowing, Casavettes, leaves turn, psychedelicrelic, nevada, alexsga, sa1126, Invisible Man, foot, solewheelin', hbombgraphics, bronzetalon, Aquietcabin1978, bass_econo, christafarai; (on TalkBass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227, karter2000; (on TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (on DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, lethargytartare; (on HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Re: Vox V8/Straight 6, Experiences?

Postby fldrvr » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:26 am

Anyone?
Good deals: Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000 (x2), kbithecrowing, Casavettes, leaves turn, psychedelicrelic, nevada, alexsga, sa1126, Invisible Man, foot, solewheelin', hbombgraphics, bronzetalon, Aquietcabin1978, bass_econo, christafarai; (on TalkBass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227, karter2000; (on TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (on DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, lethargytartare; (on HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby fldrvr » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:23 am

Thoughts?
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby doommeow » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:17 pm

No experience with the Vox, but that said try the Fryette SAS...

If there's anything out there like it, I haven't found it. EF86 based, IIRC step up transformer inside to take it to high/full voltage. Sonically, it covers everything from a clean boost with massive volume on tap, to a wide variety of OD & distortion textures, and with everything cranked it's just nasty power-tube-saturationeqse fuzz evil.

There's still a few floating around at GC for $100.
doommeow

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hbombgraphics » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:55 pm

I did this with an english muffn for a while and it was pretty cool
Monarch at 18v kicked it off my board however

I tried a vox a while back in a store and it created some noise issues
muffn does too depending on the tubes and how you use it

get a monarch
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fldrvr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks for the comments!
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Into my Jazz Chorus, I prefer stuff that's studio-ready and designed to slam things in a mean, mean way- high-crackle 80s stuff, modern spitting gated fuzz, etc.

The JC's voice is a little different in the EQ/speaker characteristics versus a normal guitar amp so I've had little luck with things designed to sound good with non-clean amps.

Crossover tangent: if it sounded good with a BF-type Fender 6L6 amp, it generally sounded good with the JC as well.

Look for demos with that Vox pedal into a clean Fenderish amp and you'll probably be in the ballpark.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fldrvr » Sat May 30, 2015 11:49 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:Into my Jazz Chorus, I prefer stuff that's studio-ready and designed to slam things in a mean, mean way- high-crackle 80s stuff, modern spitting gated fuzz, etc.

The JC's voice is a little different in the EQ/speaker characteristics versus a normal guitar amp so I've had little luck with things designed to sound good with non-clean amps.

Crossover tangent: if it sounded good with a BF-type Fender 6L6 amp, it generally sounded good with the JC as well.

Look for demos with that Vox pedal into a clean Fenderish amp and you'll probably be in the ballpark.

Thanks for your comment!
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby fldrvr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:50 am

Resurrection!!!

Looking for more comments from anyone who has played them! Thanks!
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Return to General Gear