Postby Phengren Oswald » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Anyone, anyone?….
Phengren Oswald

committed
committed

Re: Who here can fix Boss pedals?

Postby sylnau » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:01 pm

You should look in the DIY subforum.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:11 pm

And it was helpful if you told us what's wrong with your pedals. And what models are you talking of? Analog pedals are normally much easier to repair than DSP effect pedals.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Phengren Oswald » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Boss Dynamic Filter FT-2
Power supply doesn't seem to work anymore, but pedal does work
with battery.
Opened it up, didn't see any connection issues and closed it right back
up.
Something shorted out perhaps?

It's weird as the last time I used it, (with a 1-spot and daisy chain) it worked fine.)
Phengren Oswald

committed
committed

Postby Pepe » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Is there corrosion maybe? In those cases I rub the metal parts of the DC input jack with fine sand paper (with the help of a small screwdriver) and the problem disappears. In the worst case you can always solder in a replacement battery jack. Those old models can be bought. And if the FT-2 works with battery, it's all good. It's a great pedal! :thumb:
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:30 pm

many possibilities
common one would be incorrect power, either polarity or over voltage
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby Pepe » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:22 am

Ah! Another possibility:

You said you daisy-chained it last time. Did you use the FT-2 this time with your power supply with no other pedal connected in the chain? The FT-2 needs an ACA-type BOSS power supply (unregulated) like most of the analog BOSS pedals of that time. Since 2001 or 2002 all BOSS pedals work with a PSA-type BOSS power supply (regulated). But you can make any ACA-type pedal work with a normal (regulated) power supply when you daisy-chain it with at least one other buffered pedal (i.e. FT-2 plus DD-3 works great).
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:50 am

Pepe wrote:Ah! Another possibility:

You said you daisy-chained it last time. Did you use the FT-2 this time with your power supply with no other pedal connected in the chain? The FT-2 needs an ACA-type BOSS power supply (unregulated) like most of the analog BOSS pedals of that time. Since 2001 or 2002 all BOSS pedals work with a PSA-type BOSS power supply (regulated). But you can make any ACA-type pedal work with a normal (regulated) power supply when you daisy-chain it with at least one other buffered pedal (i.e. FT-2 plus DD-3 works great).

What came in to say. I'm far from an electronics wiz, but it's the first thing I thought of, cause I had this axact same problem when I tried powering my CE-2 off a daisy chain...
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Phengren Oswald » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Hmmm. I used the FT-2 in a daisy-chain (One-spot) without any issues before.
I may have an old Boss adapter somewheres.
Phengren Oswald

committed
committed

Postby Pepe » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 pm

The main thing is that you connect it with another pedal that is not of the ACA-type and it should work. The output and input jacks have to be connected as well.

If that all doesn't work use the continuity check function of a multimeter to go sure that the DC jack is okay. They CAN break. It doesn't happen very often, but I had a BOSS pedal with a broken DC jack last year or so. And if the metal parts look dirty, clean them with sand paper as described. Somehow it must work again.

CAUTION: when you try it with an old unregulated BOSS ACA power supply go sure that you DON'T USE IT for daisy-chaining pedals. Otherwise please don't complain that all of a sudden a few more pedals refuse to work - even with a battery. Those ACA power supplies can harm all your 9V pedals. In the mid 80's and 90's several expensive digital pedals were damaged through these units. So be careful what you power with it. If a BOSS pedal says PSA type on the sticker, please keep away with the ACA adaptor. The other way round is totally okay, meaning: powering ACA type pedals with a regulated power supply through a daisy-chain and additional buffered pedal(s) in the chain.
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Phengren Oswald » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Awesome.
Notes made.
Thanks!
Phengren Oswald

committed
committed

Postby Pepe » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Tell us how it worked out in the end. :)
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear