I need a crazy pedal...plus FreqBox questions

Moderator: Ghost Hip

I need a crazy pedal...plus FreqBox questions

Postby louderthangod » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:50 pm

I've had the Moog FreqBox on my board for a few months and I'm just not bonding with it. I'd really be happy to find one really awesome, unique sound to justify keeping it on my board but I've yet to do that. I've got an expression pedal and I'm willing to patch it with my other Moogerfooger's on my board (cluster flux, MuRF, Ring Mod and Delay). Sometimes it takes me awhile to really bond with some pedals. I was about to give up on my EHX Super Ego when I discovered a magic setting that I love so much I have to force myself not to use whenever I'm improvising.

If I do decide to kick the FreqBox off I'll have a fairly large gap. I'd like to fill it with something crazy and unique. I've already got the standards covered: overdrive, fuzz, reverb, delay, phase, flange, chorus, ring mod, POG2, Arpanoid, H9 and SuperEgo etc. That one Koma pedal that's like a crazy MuRF seems kinds cool. All I ask is that the pedal should be the same size or smaller than the FreqBox since my board has no extra space. Any ideas? I was thinking of the Red Panda BitMap but it just seems like a glitchy, 8-bit fuzz and that's not what I'm looking for. I also have a Rainbow Machine which is crazy but I've never found a cool sound that wasn't that crazy video game thing that everyone gets with it.
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
http://www.floatingglasses.bandcamp.com http://theworshipofsilence.bandcamp.com
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Re: I need a crazy pedal...plus FreqBox questions

Postby neonblack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:17 am

Count to Five?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:24 am

Snazzy Fx Mini-Arc or other pll circuit pedal.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:37 am

My favorite use of the FreqBox was just setting it to sawtooth, turning sync on, and controlling the Frequency with an exp pedal, and it sounded like a cool synthy wah pedal. I know it's capable of a lot more, but that was a pretty cool sound. Throw in a little FM to make it more fuzzy and lazer-beamy.

Because that's really all I ever used it for, I was able to replace it with a Copilot Orbit pretty convincingly. The Orbit has a VCO in it and has FM, and has EXP control as well, so it was perfect for that.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby louderthangod » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:14 am

neonblack wrote:Count to Five?

What's that?
[b]“I'm not an abstractionist. I'm not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.”
― Mark Rothko
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby neonblack » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 am

neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:02 am

louderthangod wrote:
neonblack wrote:Count to Five?

What's that?

That, is the threadkiller.

Go buy two of them.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby louderthangod » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:20 am

Pretty interesting. I'll have to pick one of those up.
― Mark Rothko
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby Tristan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:54 am

bigchiefbc wrote:My favorite use of the FreqBox was just setting it to sawtooth, turning sync on, and controlling the Frequency with an exp pedal, and it sounded like a cool synthy wah pedal. I know it's capable of a lot more, but that was a pretty cool sound. Throw in a little FM to make it more fuzzy and lazer-beamy.

Because that's really all I ever used it for, I was able to replace it with a Copilot Orbit pretty convincingly. The Orbit has a VCO in it and has FM, and has EXP control as well, so it was perfect for that.

Interesting, are there any other pedals that do this you think, maybe the Rainger FX Freakenstein or an UglyFace type of deal?
I've put my Orbit on sale but I'm thinking it might be a bad idea...
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby backwardsvoyager » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:13 am

Based on what you already have all I can think of is the lastgasp misty cave. Or maybe the boss ps6 for momentary pitch bending madness but maybe the h9 can cop that. And don't be afraid of cheaper shit like the digitech synth wah and boss SYB-3 they do some crazy cool stuff.

Also do you have a distortion? I like setting the dr scientist elements to super high gain and using it a a feedback-inducer then manipulating that with the guitar and other pedals. Something that can make your setup squeal and drone like that is a must IMO, I like feedback because you can play it and improv with it really intuitively like a new instrument in itself.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:And don't be afraid of cheaper shit like the digitech synth wah and boss SYB-3 they do some crazy cool stuff.

:yay:
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby louderthangod » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:18 pm

backwardsvoyager wrote:Based on what you already have all I can think of is the lastgasp misty cave. Or maybe the boss ps6 for momentary pitch bending madness but maybe the h9 can cop that. And don't be afraid of cheaper shit like the digitech synth wah and boss SYB-3 they do some crazy cool stuff.

Also do you have a distortion? I like setting the dr scientist elements to super high gain and using it a a feedback-inducer then manipulating that with the guitar and other pedals. Something that can make your setup squeal and drone like that is a must IMO, I like feedback because you can play it and improv with it really intuitively like a new instrument in itself.

I'm not opposed to cheaper pedals, whatever works is what works for me although I'm about to answer your distortion pedal in a way that seems contrary to that. For dirt I've got a Palisades, Toneczar Openhaus and Toneczar Vault. I forgot about those last gasp pedals, they've got some a few unusual effects that might work. I'm doing a variety of experimental, improvised drone-doom that's also heavy on ambience.
― Mark Rothko
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Postby KaosCill8r » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:51 pm

For crazy fuzzy feedback you cant go past a Harmonic Percolator clone. :thumb:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby backwardsvoyager » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:56 pm

louderthangod wrote:
backwardsvoyager wrote:Based on what you already have all I can think of is the lastgasp misty cave. Or maybe the boss ps6 for momentary pitch bending madness but maybe the h9 can cop that. And don't be afraid of cheaper shit like the digitech synth wah and boss SYB-3 they do some crazy cool stuff.

I'm not opposed to cheaper pedals, whatever works is what works for me although I'm about to answer your distortion pedal in a way that seems contrary to that. For dirt I've got a Palisades, Toneczar Openhaus and Toneczar Vault. I forgot about those last gasp pedals, they've got some a few unusual effects that might work. I'm doing a variety of experimental, improvised drone-doom that's also heavy on ambience.

:lol: yeah well you're probably set for feedback then, that's awesome.
check out the misty cave in particular because it's an effect that doesn't really overlap with anything else on the market so it's probably the more unique of the lot. The cyber psychic might be good too actually. With stuff like drone the misty cave is good at turning a note into something with indefinite pitch so I find it's great for ambience.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby louderthangod » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:34 pm

That Misty Cave might be awesome for the little board I'm building for my synth because I want those pedals within reach of knob tweaking.
― Mark Rothko
louderthangod

experienced
experienced

Return to General Gear