looking for advice on a delay before I do something I regret

Moderator: Ghost Hip

looking for advice on a delay before I do something I regret

Postby resincum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 am

hi, long time lurker here.. I'm looking for another delay to fill out my board. at the moment, I'm running a Gojira Chronos Delay with a Vox Delaylab. I dabble in all kinds of projects from shoegazey stuff, ambient/pot-rock to outright noise. I've spent a bunch of time looking into shit and I've narrowed it down to these 3:
DBA Echo Dream 2, DBA Ghost Delay and Way Huge's Supa Puss.

I've never seen a Supa Puss on a board, though the thing sounds killer from where I'm at.. am I missing something? what I love about the Ghost Delay is the stereo capability. the Echo Dream sounds like Boards of Canada to me. magical, but perhaps a bit gimmicky.

Is there anything else out there I should consider before I blow this load? I've seen/heard a bunch of awesome DIY stuff on this board, but deposits/wait time are crushing for me :( I'll totally go that route if the device is killer, though. thanks!! :hobbes:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Re: looking for advice on a delay before I do something I re

Postby plaidbeer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:06 pm

I have a DelayLab as well. I wanted something very different than that and my DD-7, so I went with a Black Fountain Delay that should be here in a few days.

Last edited by plaidbeer on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby kbit » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 pm

If you're interested in the ghost delay you could also check out the red witch titan. It doesn't have stereo out unfortunately, but it lets you run all three delay circuits in parallel or series, and there's an effects loop for the first delay line.

Ive only ever played the echo dream v1 out of these. It's certainly cool and the modulation is craaazy. I know the fuzz on the v2 is less intense.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:11 pm

All I've heard about the Supa Puss is good. Have you considered Catalinbread or Skreddy? Like, what exactly are you after from a new delay? The three you're looking at don't really seem that similar.

Edit: The Infanem Small Echo Array would also be something you should look into.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby zRobertez » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:44 pm

I've been a Supa Puss supporter since they came out. It is awesome. It is lofi and semi finnicky and sounds totally unique while still being useable and other stuff. I don't know, it's just good. The only delay I've had for like 2 years or since whenever I got one - which was like a month after they were released
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Housewife/331848200230566
http://housewifeofficial.bandcamp.com/
Tom Dalton wrote:Like a phoenix's butt, it will rise from the asses.

KLON KLON KLON KLON
zRobertez

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:53 pm

I forgot about the Black Fountain Delay, that one was on my radar for a while as well. really dig how it won't self-oscillate on it's own. another contender. Red Witch Titan sounds killer, but a bit pricey for what I'm after. I've gone through a few demos of both Catalinbread and Skreddy's work, but nothing really grabbed me by the balls. It's cool to see some Supa Puss love, I'm going to be comparing ED2 and SP demos for a bit.

I guess what I'm looking for is something lofi with a somewhat unique modulation. something that plays well in a band setting, but can also get real 'nasty/trippy' for solo stuff. appreciate the input so far!
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:48 pm

If you're into its flavor, the Idiotbox Dimension X is hard to beat for unique modulation/lofiish tones.

I think a big part of the answer to your question (what else is there) has to include how much delay time you want.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:08 pm

wow :love: that one blows everything else out of the water, especially for that price. can't find it for sale though? :idk:
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:10 pm

http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/pr ... on-x-delay

Hmmm. Coming soon. I know Matt has an ILF account on here, maybe PM him and see what happened to the one that went out in the tourbox?

There's also one for trade in B/S/T right now:
ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=43645
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=263&t=41693

Go to that thread. The In Limbo is the best delay I've ever played, may be a bit more expensive than what you're looking at but it's simply an incredible value for everything you get. Where else can you get a fully analog delay with expression control over a bunch of parameters, an arpeggiator setting and select-able waveform modulation and tap tempo? If Diamond or Moog made this it'd cost well over $1000. I'm buying the tourbox one once it's over.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby resincum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 pm

awesome, thanks. I followed up on both of those.. they're ridiculous. so much so I wouldn't mind snagging both. looks like they're might be some wait time, though.

I'm not too concerned with delay time, the longer the better of course, but I'm even interested in the Count To 5 (counts as a short delay, right? but I don't think they're on hand either QQ). I have most of my sound figured out, just need that something extra to add on top of everything I have going on.

if you have anything else in mind sub$200, please let me know :D I'd be able to get a fuzz as well if I found something as awesome/affordable as the Dimension X.
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:52 pm

resincum wrote:awesome, thanks. I followed up on both of those.. they're ridiculous. so much so I wouldn't mind snagging both. looks like they're might be some wait time, though.

I'm not too concerned with delay time, the longer the better of course, but I'm even interested in the Count To 5 (counts as a short delay, right? but I don't think they're on hand either QQ). I have most of my sound figured out, just need that something extra to add on top of everything I have going on.

if you have anything else in mind sub$200, please let me know :D I'd be able to get a fuzz as well if I found something as awesome/affordable as the Dimension X.

I'd take a look at the Red Panda Particle delay too if you're looking to add something more unique to your core delay sound, used they'd be around $225 or so but I love the reverse delay on it, then add in all the crazy pitch shifting and you've got a delay that nothing else can really emulate.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:04 pm

I don't have the Count to Five yet -- waiting on Secret Santa to pass -- but based on my Goodbye 24, I'd say that it's an amazing thing for what it does, but it's not a 'delay' in any real sense of the word. It does do the 'little extra' thing very well, though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:29 pm

the Red Panda Particle is rad, can't find any used at the moment.

aye, that's what I figured about the CT5 :)
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Industrialectric echo degrader is amazing. Mr. Black downwardspiral and dark echo are both unique with the dark echo having great modulation. Belle epoch is rad with crazy modulation as well.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear