What are some weirder unsung od/distortion boxes out there?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What are some weirder unsung od/distortion boxes out the

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 am

Jaguar into Test Pattern, GL-100 gain channel kicks in at 1:00ish.

Exactly why I have the damn thing, it makes anything...better.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:24 am

Damn. That is fucking brutal.

So gooooood!

Gas ignited for GL-100.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 am

ancientbones wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:Also, the ZVEX Machine is an odd duck that certainly has a unique voice. I've got a custom dual fuzz that is Machine -> Fuzzrite and man it is a nasty, raspy, ugly sounding fuzz. The complete fucking opposite of smooth and wooly.

I love the fuzzrite! I'm hoping to build a kit of one when the holidays come around.

Also: are there any sound demos of the kowloon walled bunny? I've been a fan of Kowloon Walled City for a long time but never knew the KWB was just a simple modded pedal. I'm just curious as to how different the sound is compared to a normal OD250/Dist+/Ross distortion.

Oops, one more edit, also curious about that Metalzone mod. Any demos of that too? Might let my friend know about that cus he has an old one lying around.

The difference is pretty massive from the Stock 250 I had. To put it in perspective -- that pedal basically is their 'clean' tone.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby zRobertez » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 pm

suneater gas RISING!!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Housewife/331848200230566
http://housewifeofficial.bandcamp.com/
Tom Dalton wrote:Like a phoenix's butt, it will rise from the asses.

KLON KLON KLON KLON
zRobertez

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:36 pm

5KVNQW0RK5 wrote:
rfurtkamp wrote:The one that nobody gets is the Boss GL-100. It's *every* pre-1989ish Boss distortion/od box in a single rackmount, all analog, MIJ, 2 channel. Parametric EQs that take the HM-2-type sounds to places that NOTHING else does.

Gets amazingly splatty at high gain levels if done "wrong", and has a ridiculous amount of headroom.

<$100 all day long.

I literally could not function without mine, it's the core of my entire rig/sound.

Incredible piece of kit that nobody gives a shit about. Found mine for peanuts a few months ago and its going nowhere.

Just looked at my local craigslist and there's one for $120.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby julius_deane » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm

I think the Super Puzzle / Buzz is a great OD in low gain mode.
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:08 pm

ancientbones wrote:
bigchiefbc wrote:One more edit, also curious about that Metalzone mod. Any demos of that too? Might let my friend know about that cus he has an old one lying around.

Dunno - I just thought that the EQ on it was pretty cool but that it had stupid amounts of distortion, so I got rid of the clipping diodes. The gain range is more useable, and it is more open sounding. Sounds good in a band context. EQ definitely doesn't behave as it did with the diodes in, which is interesting. I think it's worth doing because you won't find an OD with even a fraction of the EQ possibilities, and it goes from pretty clean to thrashy levels of distortion. To be honest I much prefer the Suneater or the Arc Flash, or the Prunes and Custard, but you can dial it in to sound really quite nice, or you can dial it in to sound completely fucked. And that's why it's worth it :)

zRobertez wrote:suneater gas RISING!!!

YES!

Make sure you get the low gain toggle. Both gain modes are rad, but I'm kinda obsessed with the low gain sounds. Great, great decay.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby John » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:35 pm

ancientbones wrote:Oops, one more edit, also curious about that Metalzone mod. Any demos of that too? Might let my friend know about that cus he has an old one lying around.

Here's me and my drummer fucking around for a couple of minutes, and I am pretty sure I'm just using the Metal Zone with a volume pedal before it. When the volume is rolled back it does the sputtery noise gating sound, and when I hit it full bore it roars.

https://app.box.com/s/ph130qa3zvmq8vtix0u0
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Offer *much* less.

Ebay sold has them for $39 to 60 average recently, there's one up now for 109 "or best offer" which means it'll go a lot less given completeds.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Man, I even found two in Sweden. Seem pretty common. Wohoo! But I would kill for those sorta prices. One is at 135 dollars, and the other 215. But I think, given the stupid market over here, 135 is pretty decent.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Yea, they were all the hell over - Roland does not make 3 of something.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 pm

goroth wrote:Prunes and Custard. Yes!

Also:
Fuzzhugger Arc Flash. Strange, it's one of the most bat shit high gain spitting fuzzes I've heard, but it is also a fucking awesome clean boost or low, low gain od. You cannot fail to love it.
Fuzzhugger Suneater with low gain toggle. Soooo nice. Very lo fi and gets all the way up to kindy quasi brassy highish gain fuzz with super good clean up. But seriously, fuck clean up.
Jordan Bosstone wtihout clipping diodes is nice. If you have lower output pickups and are prepared to use your volume knob it cleans up pretty well and gives a dirty od even with the clipping diodes engaged.
Boss Metalzone - clip or desolder D3 and D4 and you get a pretty nice overdrive with some weird and massive eq possibilities. If you can find one cheap, which you always can, it is worth doing just to see what happens.
Fairfield Unpleasant Surprise - it will get into fuzzy od territory, but with the gain that low you get massive gating and spluttering. All of the fuzzes above will still sustain well when behaving like ODs but the US won't haha. Crunchy and fucked up.

Blackout Musket - didn't really like it as a high gain fuzz (and flipped it), but low gain stuff was really, really nice. A bit unruly, a bit wooly. Good fun.

arc flash is a flipping brilliant answer to this question
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:17 am

Yes the Arc Flash is tits. You would also get awesomeness fuzzy/o.d tones out one of those newer version Fingerprints with the starve control. I built a clone of the original circuit without the starve and I love it's tones. The starve would add some real nice textures. Torns peaker also would give you some nice fuzzy/od tones. And the CBC Harmonic Percolator is a good fucked up fuzzy/o.d. I love mine and he also does a nice version of the DBA Harmonic Transformer that I also own. :thumb:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:21 am

The Heliotrope is pretty rad.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:25 am

I found the original had so much carrier bleed it was unusable in a live situation.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear