Ambient Synth Recommendations?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Ambient Synth Recommendations?

Postby bongoben » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:41 am

Alright, so I picked up a Moog Little Phatty awhile back because I've always wanted one to play with. It's a kickass little instrument but I've realized I would get more use out of something that 1) can be polyphonic and 2) can be ambient. Think those cheesy background synthy string sounds in modern church worship music (I'm not using this for worship... I'm not even a church-goer, that was just the example that came to mind). I also have a Nord Electro 2 which I love and it does the piano/electric piano/organ sounds well. So, hardware synths either with a keyboard or something rack that I could use with my Electro 2 board? And I'm aiming for a similar price range to my Little Phatty because I think that will be used as trade bait for a new instrument. HELP!

Thanks!
bongoben

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Ambient Synth Recommendations?

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:47 am

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bongoben » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:21 am

I'm going to have to spend a lot of time doing some listening. I re-read an older synth thread I had awhile back and found a number of recommendations I'll have to re-listen to. The only difference between then and now is 1) I know I want it to be polyphonic and 2)I'm really not as concerned with a strong bass presence as I originally imagined I would be.

This thread:
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=42067
bongoben

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 am

synths are pretty wide open man. yea they each have their flavors, strengths and weaknesses. but really u can make a buttload of sounds w/ any of them. i dunno if any synth would be in a particular category, because u can usually make all types of sounds w/ any one. pads, chords, drones, leads, basses, organs, etc etc. its all in the knobs and the programming. i used to make gnarly basses w/ my JX3P, which alot of ppl will tell u is "not a good bass synth". so eff that noise yo!!

i would just go for something u like and dive in. poly is big tho
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 am

Roland Roland Roland... Gia, SH201, or any of the Grooveboxes... I use an MC307 and edit the Strings and "Synth" sounds to get cool ambient...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby bongoben » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 pm

You dudes rule. For serious.
bongoben

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm

For ambient pads, those that comes to mind first are:
- Korg Microkorg (a personal favorite, a great complement to my Little Phatty)
- Novation Mininova (great synth, more capable than the MK but a whole lot less analog like)
- Nord Lead (that's if you can add delay and reverb)

Considering you own an Electro and like it, I'd say go for a used Lead rack.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby amnesiac305 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Maybe look into a Kawai K5000 for cheap. It is an additive synth with great pads/ambient sounds.
Excellent Transactions: monkeydancer, dorfmeister, Rygot, bronzetalon, PumpkinPieces, Wes Mantooth, Deltaphoenix, Blooghost, Fuzz_Pi, Neanderthal Head, lordgalvar
amnesiac305

experienced
experienced

Postby bongoben » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:11 pm

Here's a stupid question. If i used the Nord Rack on my Electro 2 via midi is it possible to go from the piano sounds from the Electro to the synth sounds of the Rack without disconnecting anything? Is it as easy as some button push or would the Rack need to be turned off? I've never used this kind of midi setup so still in learning mode.
bongoben

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Even if they are connected via midi, the audio of the Lead will come out of the Lead and the audio of the Electro out of the Electro.
MIDI doesn't carry audio signal, only notes and change of parameters (like the wiggling of the pitch or modwheel).
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby bongoben » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Even if they are connected via midi, the audio of the Lead will come out of the Lead and the audio of the Electro out of the Electro.
MIDI doesn't carry audio signal, only notes and change of parameters (like the wiggling of the pitch or modwheel).

Makes sense and along the lines of what i was assuming. Thanks
bongoben

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sonidero » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:21 pm

That's why Synth Players always need a mixer... Any Roland JV Rack would work also... A good editable Rompler with effects makes great ambient...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby plaidbeer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:03 am

As mentioned above, Roland JV racks have a lot of material to work with as did the newer XV-series racks (I have an XV-5080). I also have a JD-990 with Vintage Expansion which is good for ambient/weird stuff.

If you want something newer, check out the Waldorf Blofeld.
plaidbeer

committed
committed

Postby Deltaphoenix » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Run whatever stuff you have through a PitchFactor and Space. AMBIENT
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Pepe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:29 pm

amnesiac305 wrote:Maybe look into a Kawai K5000 for cheap. It is an additive synth with great pads/ambient sounds.

+1

Other synths that are known for good ambient sounds:

Roland D-50 (a classic!)
Roland JD-800
KORG Wavestation
KORG Z1
Technics WSA-1

Then there are the mentioned Roland rack synths and plenty more. The 90's digital stuff should be affordable and give good results.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear