Question about Bit Crushers & Ring Modulators

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Question about Bit Crushers & Ring Modulators

Postby ChetMagongalo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Gigahearts_FX wrote:
You can get some amazingly beautiful *textures* with a ring mod unlike any other device, especially with judicial use of a blend control to keep your fundamental notes intact.

This is why I love ring mods. Also chief has a good point posting that TMV song, I never really noticed it was a ring mod until I thought about it.

But yeah ring mods are all about texture to me. it sounds cool. ring mods can be uncomfortable if you can't figure them out, you can't think too much about it, just have fun.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PetZounds » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:25 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:I use an EHX Frequency Analyzer for my ring mod and I absolutely love it. It can do the full-on crazy dissonant ring-mod sound, or you can turn the blend way down and it almost just sounds like a slightly dissonant distortion, which is a cool sound. Also, if you tune the ring mod to one of the notes you're playing in an arpeggio or melody, it can pop out some cool harmonics. Like the intro guitar sound in TMV's Eriatarka

I love that track, that's pretty much the most musical use of ring mod I've ever heard.
PetZounds

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Gigahearts_FX wrote:i really like the lovetone ring stinger
the key to any ring mod, if you generally prefer stuff subtle like me, is a blend control.
You can get some amazingly beautiful *textures* with a ring mod unlike any other device, especially with judicial use of a blend control to keep your fundamental notes intact.

YMMV.

FWIW I think the new flaming lips ring mod just sounds like utter shite ...

+1 on the Ring Stinger. Besides having a killer octave up, the ring mod / lfo combo is awesome.

For more expansive soundscapes, the WMD Geiger Counter is one of my favorites. It's a bit of a task to scroll through all the different settings, to find just the right ones, but when you do, the results can be pretty spectacular. You just need to be patient with it.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby Phosphene Audio » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 am

If I had to, I could get by with just a Ring Mod and a Distortion pedal.

I started with a Paia kit one and then later got the Moog MF-102. Because that was getting beat up, and for convenience sake, I got a Ring Thing, which is great.

The ability to save presets and tune instantly make the Ring Thing very useful.

Also, you can trick the tuning feature to constantly reset by holding the switch down while playing entire passages, not just a single note. It ends up sounding a little like some kind of filter effect.

here's a bunch of songs dependent on ring mod

Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby KaosCill8r » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:34 am

I was looking for info on bit crushers. During a google search I found a demo by a dude on this forum. Most of you know him as behndy. The demo was regarding a bit crusher that had a nasty pitchy noise through it. Was one of the funniest demo's ever. Especially the ending. If I could post youtube I would put it up. I'm sure most have probably seen it any way.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:01 am

Phosphene Audio wrote:If I had to, I could get by with just a Ring Mod and a Distortion pedal.

I started with a Paia kit one and then later got the Moog MF-102. Because that was getting beat up, and for convenience sake, I got a Ring Thing, which is great.

Also, you can trick the tuning feature to constantly reset by holding the switch down while playing entire passages, not just a single note. It ends up sounding a little like some kind of filter effect.

This is like the best music ever. :animal:

KaosCill8r wrote:I was looking for info on bit crushers. During a google search I found a demo by a dude on this forum. Most of you know him as behndy. The demo was regarding a bit crusher that had a nasty pitchy noise through it. Was one of the funniest demo's ever. Especially the ending. If I could post youtube I would put it up. I'm sure most have probably seen it any way.

This one?
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:22 am

Love my Frequency Analyzer.

Sometimes you gotta have faux bells.

In the days when there weren't many options, they were *amazing* - now they're a sometimes treat.

They just allow for a different texture, especially before fuzz/distortion and delay. I can go weeks without using mine, then it's on for days.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:30 am

goroth wrote:
Phosphene Audio wrote:If I had to, I could get by with just a Ring Mod and a Distortion pedal.

KaosCill8r wrote:I was looking for info on bit crushers. During a google search I found a demo by a dude on this forum. Most of you know him as behndy. The demo was regarding a bit crusher that had a nasty pitchy noise through it. Was one of the funniest demo's ever. Especially the ending. If I could post youtube I would put it up. I'm sure most have probably seen it any way.

This one?

Yeah that was the one. "WHAT A DICK" :lol: Seriously that behndy dude can play the shit out of that 6 string bass. Awesome stuff. Might have to look for more of his demo's. But ones where he is actually happy with the pedal he's demoing.
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Second time in a week Fuck Duck came up!!! What's going on here???

Tourbox of SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Inconuucl » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:04 pm

I've been keeping an eye out on Reverb for a Vitruvian Mod at a good price, but alas, no one want to flip them where i can see.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Phosphene Audio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:34 pm

goroth wrote:

ha, thanks
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear