favorite 2- or 4-stage phasers?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

favorite 2- or 4-stage phasers?

Postby friendship » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm not a big phaser guy but I've come around to Phase 90s and their ilk; simple phasers with a great voice and without too many stages. Do you like these, too? What are your favorite ones around, and why?

Also fuck when did Boss PH-1R get so expensive why didn't I buy one when they were like $60 uggghghh
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: favorite 2- or 4-stage phasers?

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:36 pm

I love my PH-1r. I got it for $40 last year, so it can still happen.

I kind of want a sibling, a grand orbiter, a P90.... I fucking love small simple phasers!! Great thread.

I'm making chili now but maybe I'll get drunk and take a picture of my phaser while I wait for 3 hours for this shit to cook.....

:hug:

Also making cornbread. Gonna be fucking legit.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby TweedBassman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:46 pm

retinal orbita wrote:

this guy knows whats up.

oh wait. phasers.

my phavorite is a modded phase 90. trim pot to the outside and feedback resistor also turned into a knob. gets cleean or super gnarly.
Got my A machines on the table, got my B machines in a drawer.
http://www.facebook.com/pennypedals ________ http://www.pennypedals.com ________ http://instagram.com/pennypedals <-- mad gear pics yo
TweedBassman

committed
committed

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 pm

TweedBassman wrote:my phavorite is a modded phase 90. trim pot to the outside and feedback resistor also turned into a knob. gets cleean or super gnarly.

That sounds totally fucking legit

I had a whetstone, I sold it. It was like.... too much for me. It sounded great though, so I really want a sibling.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby OddKnowledge » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:53 pm

i've been interested in trying one of the DOD phasors
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:54 pm

retinal orbita wrote:I love my PH-1r. I got it for $40 last year, so it can still happen.

I kind of want a sibling, a grand orbiter, a P90.... I fucking love small simple phasers!! Great thread.

I'm making chili now but maybe I'll get drunk and take a picture of my phaser while I wait for 3 hours for this shit to cook.....

:hug:

My dude. This thread is now also about chili recipes. What's your situation.

I'm only using phaser modelers right now but I notice that I keep the resonance pretty low in most cases, so i feel like I don't even need that. You know what would be dope is some kind of phaser a knob for speed, depth, and some way to fuck with the waveform but in continuous sweep form to get assymetrical, univibesque patterns.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:02 pm

OddKnowledge wrote:i've been interested in trying one of the DOD phasors

I'd like to try a Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine too.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:03 pm

friendship wrote:My dude. This thread is now also about chili recipes. What's your situation.

I'm trying a new one - making the chili sauce from scratch - boiled a mix of fresh and dried peppers in some stock for 20 min, blended them up. Was fucking insane on it's own, I feel it'll flavour nicely.....

3 lbs outside round stewing beef, lightly braised from the best butcher in the east end

some garlic, onion, cumin, chili sauce, 3 hours of simmering

Plus I'll add a can of beer later and some masa to thicken it all up

I'm pro texan chili, no beans, no tomato.... no chocolate, no extra shit..... and a little sour cream and some cheese and a smidge of cilantro......

Trying to decide if I should watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Twins of Evil....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:04 pm

OddKnowledge wrote:i've been interested in trying one of the DOD phasors

King of those IME is the big 500-series Performer 18v ones. Caveat is the power supply is even dumber than usual DOD - 1/4". Yeah, that's right. 1/4" 18v.

I loved my old one and gigged with it for over ten years but...I lived in fear every time I plugged it in that I'd put that 1/4" in the Space Echo or something catastrophic.

Pro tip if you play with one is get some sort of very colorful electrical tape and flag that cable with yellow or red or something to ID it as "NOT A GUITAR CABLE."

Sounds amazing and they're still cheap.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:16 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
friendship wrote:My dude. This thread is now also about chili recipes. What's your situation.

I'm trying a new one - making the chili sauce from scratch - boiled a mix of fresh and dried peppers in some stock for 20 min, blended them up. Was fucking insane on it's own, I feel it'll flavour nicely.....

3 lbs outside round stewing beef, lightly braised from the best butcher in the east end

I'm pro texan chili, no beans, no tomato.... no chocolate, no extra shit..... and a little sour cream and some cheese and a smidge of cilantro......

Trying to decide if I should watch the Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Twins of Evil....

Nice. Although I'm a heretic in terms of sticking to Texan orthodox, to me whole chilies are totally essential. You don't have to give me your Secret, but what kinds of chilis are you using? I don't really have a method, I grab whatever they have, usually guajillos, anchos, chipotles, serranos, even mulatos. It's mindbending just thinking of the different types and ratios to use so I try to diversify with a smokey one, a sweet/fruity one, and a really hot one. What's the "chili sauce" you use?

edit: I'm drunk now and forgot already this thread was about phasers. I've also been really interested in the new DOD reissue. I love its simplicity but I wonder if the knob controlling both rate AND depth is a little too limited; sometimes you want a fast phase light in the mix.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby TweedBassman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 pm

retinal orbita wrote:

i'll be over in 20 mins.

I had the old DOD 201 Phasor and didn't like it much. reissue might be good not sure.
Got my A machines on the table, got my B machines in a drawer.
http://www.facebook.com/pennypedals ________ http://www.pennypedals.com ________ http://instagram.com/pennypedals <-- mad gear pics yo
TweedBassman

committed
committed

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:26 pm

I just got a MXR Script Phase 90 with LED. I love it. Warm and subtle without distorting the tone, as I've read the regular Phase 90 does. Plus the pedal looks awesome and is a nice compact size. I have it next to my blue box and I love the look... Blue and orange, my favorite colors! :D
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:43 pm

I've always preferred the Small Stone over the Phase 90. Along those lines, I'd say the Whetstone is my favorite of that family, and the 2-stage mode sounds tits.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:56 pm

TweedBassman wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:

this guy knows whats up.

oh wait. phasers.

my phavorite is a modded phase 90. trim pot to the outside and feedback resistor also turned into a knob. gets cleean or super gnarly.

I've had a phase 90 I've wanted to fuck with for ages and had no idea what I really wanted to do with it.
Now I do.
Thanks man!

Phasers and chilli rule.
I guac with mine, though. No party without avocado.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:52 am

On my wish list at the moment:

Small stone V4
DOD fx20
Malekko omnicron phase
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF