UC's demo archive! (Digital Flora FX - Draugen)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: UC's demo archive! (Bicycle Delay by Catalinbread)

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:36 am

UC's bottoming anyway.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:09 am

It's true, but I always hope for a reach-around
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby zzuFrepuS » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:03 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Thanks, guys :group:
Seance wrote:How similar is the Bicycle Delay to the Hypnodrone LSDelay?

(I mean... sound-wise and function-wise... I know the Bicycle doesn't have an electronic eye)

I don't hear the resemblance personally. The LSDelay basically has a feedback and a time knob (and tone toggle). No pitch shifting or staircasing.

zzuFrepuS wrote:that was a lot of boner pills you had lying around.

Huh. I didn't know boner pills looked like that. I bow down to you vast knowledge of erectile dysfunction pharmaceuticals. Get better soon, buddy.

just like wangs, boner pills cum in all shapes and sizes :omg: and you don't need to have "problems" to have a good time. just don't take a full dose or you'll be getting a shot in the dick! my friend says the ones you can get online and at 7-11 can be better than the RX. :surprise: :hello:
zzuFrepuS

committed
committed

Postby Seance » Sun May 01, 2016 11:47 am

(I mean... sound-wise and function-wise... I know the Bicycle doesn't have an electronic eye)

I don't hear the resemblance personally. The LSDelay basically has a feedback and a time knob (and tone toggle). No pitch shifting or staircasing.

So what makes the Bicycle delay different from things like the Red Panda Raster or the CT5 or Digitech Timebender
in terms of pitch shifting delays?
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun May 01, 2016 11:51 am

Seance wrote:

So what makes the Bicycle delay different from things like the Red Panda Raster or the CT5 or Digitech Timebender

I don't know. Send them to me and I'll test them out. :D
Last edited by UglyCasanova on Sun May 01, 2016 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Sun May 01, 2016 11:52 am

UglyCasanova wrote:
Seance wrote:

I don't know. Send them to me and I'll test them out. :D

Haven't you already tested them out?
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun May 01, 2016 11:55 am

I've only played the CT5, but I've sort of found a set and forget setting for it. I don't know if it does that staircasing thing, but if it does, I doubt it will sound the same due to the vast difference in repeat characteristics.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Sun May 01, 2016 12:04 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:I've only played the CT5, but I've sort of found a set and forget setting for it. I don't know if it does that staircasing thing, but if it does, I doubt it will sound the same due to the vast difference in repeat characteristics.

Yes. Not the same. But it's interesting to hear about areas of overlap and non-overlap
between pedals that haunt the same neck of the woods. So I'm curious to hear the
experiences & thoughts of people who've used similar devices.

A lot of ILFers seem to have had lots of iterations of pedals that do somewhat similar things
but each in a specific or unique way, so it's interesting for me to hear why someone gets or
likes a particular pedal over another pedal.
There are so many ways to skin a cat and peel an onion.

My understanding is that the CT5 pitchshifts the repeats in Mode1 whereas the Bicycle shifts
the frequency? I'm not sure I grasp the difference conceptually.

And the Bicycle has more of a modulated ring-modderated type of thing going on.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Seance wrote:There are so many ways to skin a cat and peel an onion.

That sounds like a gross meal. :barf: I will not be attending that dinner party you invited me to. Thank you anyway. :p
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Seance » Sun May 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
Seance wrote:There are so many ways to skin a cat and peel an onion.

That sounds like a gross meal. :barf: I will not be attending that dinner party you invited me to. Thank you anyway. :p

There are many ways to make a dinner guest cry, but the top two are:
2) peel an onion.
1) skin a cat.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby resincum » Sun May 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Seance wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:I've only played the CT5, but I've sort of found a set and forget setting for it. I don't know if it does that staircasing thing, but if it does, I doubt it will sound the same due to the vast difference in repeat characteristics.

Yes. Not the same. But it's interesting to hear about areas of overlap and non-overlap
between pedals that haunt the same neck of the woods. So I'm curious to hear the
experiences & thoughts of people who've used similar devices.

A lot of ILFers seem to have had lots of iterations of pedals that do somewhat similar things
but each in a specific or unique way, so it's interesting for me to hear why someone gets or
likes a particular pedal over another pedal.
There are so many ways to skin a cat and peel an onion.

My understanding is that the CT5 pitchshifts the repeats in Mode1 whereas the Bicycle shifts
the frequency? I'm not sure I grasp the difference conceptually.

And the Bicycle has more of a modulated ring-modderated type of thing going on.

to me, the biggest difference with the bicycle vs the others lies in the repeats. the bicycle isn't as piercing or clicky. there's a smeared quality to em. UC also dialed in some droney tricks that I haven't heard from other delays in the same vein. sounds really nice. was surprised
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Yeah, UC made the BD sound warm and filter-y. Two things I like a lot. I know it's only a YT demo, but it sounded great & I'd love to try that pedal.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby resincum » Sun May 01, 2016 12:59 pm

same. I can't make the dd-500 do that shit :lol:
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun May 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Seance wrote:My understanding is that the CT5 pitchshifts the repeats in Mode1 whereas the Bicycle shifts
the frequency?

On the CT5 you set the pitch. On the Bicycle Delay you set the rate of the increase or decrease in pitch shift per repeat. If you set it to a short delay time (labled expanse (CCW=longer delay time)) the staircasing isn't that easy to hear. That's the way I use it for most of the demo. More modulated filter-ish with long cascading repeats.

Repeats, rate and time knobs are very interactive. The repeats knob paired with the rate knob make it so that you can decide how many repeats it will take for the pitch to hit the note (example: get to an octave down G in 5 repeats/steps). Then you decide how fast you want it to ascend/descend the stair with the time knob. Mix is pretty self explanatory. Tone really changes the characteristics of the repeats. At short delay times, it almost works more like a resonance tuning or filter knob.

Hope that helps (or makes sense). :p

edit: thanks, dudes! :hug:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Sun May 01, 2016 1:53 pm

resincum wrote:to me, the biggest difference with the bicycle vs the others lies in the repeats. the bicycle isn't as piercing or clicky. there's a smeared quality to em. UC also dialed in some droney tricks that I haven't heard from other delays in the same vein. sounds really nice. was surprised

Yes! Less clicky, more smear-throb. That smeared quality seems to be a distinguishing factor.
The "tone-like" knob plus the "blend-like" knob seem to allow the repeats to sit above or under
the dry tone for Gamalan plink or lysergic ghost in the windowpane of haunted head.

UglyCasanova wrote:
Seance wrote:My understanding is that the CT5 pitchshifts the repeats in Mode1 whereas the Bicycle shifts
the frequency?

On the CT5 you set the pitch. On the Bicycle Delay you set the rate of the increase or decrease in pitch shift per repeat. If you set it to a short delay time (labled expanse (CCW=longer delay time)) the staircasing isn't that easy to hear. That's the way I use it for most of the demo. More modulated filter-ish with long cascading repeats.

Repeats, rate and time knobs are very interactive. The repeats knob paired with the rate knob make it so that you can decide how many repeats it will take for the pitch to hit the note (example: get to an octave down G in 5 repeats/steps). Then you decide how fast you want it to ascend/descend the stair with the time knob. Mix is pretty self explanatory. Tone really changes the characteristics of the repeats. At short delay times, it almost works more like a resonance tuning or filter knob.

Hope that helps (or makes sense). :p

edit: thanks, dudes! :hug:

Thanks! This is very interesting to me. And helpful. I'm intrigued by your description of how
the "tone-like" knob works. Seems to contribute to the "smeared" quality via the filter/resonance
tuning. And interesting to hear you can set the pedal to take a predetermined amount of repeats
to reach a given key.

Maybe the Mode1 CT5 is more like running through a hall of mirrors (reflections of reflections of reflections)
whereas the Bicycle delay is a bit more like running through the spiral of a fractal cave? In one case the
replications are more crystalline—the notes are jankied-up by pitch into ever smaller windows, whereas
in the Bicycle delay the rounded, smeared edges repeat the line in patterned fractal facsimiles as if
painted on the walls of a torch-lit cave.

Or...?
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear